The Middle Kingdom Awaits Us

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

A long time ago a professor of mine told me that because America was all that stood between the abyss of one world government, we would be warred upon and as we spent our talent, our young and our treasure, China would be still as the tiger in the brush, watching and waiting for us, As I read this article his words came to mind.

"…John Doe writes:

The thing that worries me the most is the twisted view of reality and history that the CCP [Chinese Communist Party] propaganda and education machine has infected its people with (even well educated ones). They feel they have been victimized by the West and the Japanese, and their sense of entitlement to take their rightful place in the world is strong. But, what does that mean? What is their rightful place in the world? That’s scary because it obviously means On Top! The other thing that worries me is the youth.

Chinese youth in the power areas of China (on the coast) have been emboldened with this nasty sense of nationalism and feeling of entitlement that the CCP has successfully implanted over the years. This has been magnified and emboldened by their new economic success.

The dictatorship and many, or most, Chinese are united in their dream of Chinese global superiority.

One day we are going to read that “We didn’t know they had these capabilities for. …” “We just didn’t know they could do that.” But then it will be too late. The Chinese have already told us their strategy. Deng Xiao Ping said to the Chinese that they must lay low and keep a low profile until they have the advantage, and surely that is what they are doing.

But what about John Doe’s business? Does he sell high technology that may be useful for post-nuclear armament? No! To his financial detriment, but “out of principle” and for sake of “the future of the West,” he is engaged in “very low-tech businesses” of no conceivable strategic use, and he says to me in conclusion, “Keep up the good work.”

newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/12/2/185444.shtml

Right now China seems to be heading full steam into global capitalism, not into communist imperialism.

40.png
gilliam:
Right now China seems to be heading full steam into global capitalism, not into communist imperialism.
My understanding is that they are doing exactly what the US did during WWII - heading into full scale manufacturing, production and when they’re ready we’ll see the real face of world conquest and it could well come to a head over an issue way back there in the 40’s “markets”.

Friends of mine in Hong Kong who decided to sit it out there feel the “net” grows tighter incrementally.

Ok, ok, please don’t laugh, (or gasp), but I must share a little experience. Think what you will…

I am a convert. My conversion from an agnostic secular anti-organized-religion guy to Orthodox Catholic took a little over two years from that first “what if?” to the first kneeling at the alter rail.

During that last year, during RCIA, in fact, I had a semi-recurring nightmare/dream. The long and short of it was that the face of evil, demon/posession etc. was East Asian. It wasn’t black, or white, hispanic, or arabian. There was a burning building always. And a east asian man screaming, laughing, sneering holding a torch and he was standing the fire. There wasn’t a look of victimhood, but of pleasure.

I have long had an uneasiness about the the far east, NOT THE PEOPLE of the far east (very much on the contrary) but of some thing that is “present” there that…haunts me.

Even today, although the Islamists are very, very scary, I still, out of the corner of my eye, look at Red China more than any other regime as a source of worry.

Ok, I am open to to the subsequent eye-rolling…now.

40.png
jlw:
Ok, I am open to to the subsequent eye-rolling…now.
You won’t get any from me nor from one of the most powerful curial officials of today who happens to be true papabile - Cardinal Riuni: Contrary to most of his curial bretheren he sees China looming large in the future “conflicts” and gave a lengthy discourse on it recently.

Below is a quote from an article in Italy concerning his talk:

"…In remembrance of his first mass, celebrated fifty years ago when he was a newly-ordained priest, Cardinal Camillo Ruini returned for a few days to the diocese he was born in, Reggio Emilia. There, on November 23, he gave one of his most important speeches: a “summa” of his present thinking on the Church and the world, with forecasts for the near future.

Ruini is the pope’s vicar for the diocese of Rome and the president of the Italian bishops’ conference. His thinking thus has special influence in determining the Church’s orientation, partly in view of a change in the papacy.

As on other occasions, Ruini asserted in his speech that the present position of the Church in history is marked by two factors above all: the attack of September 11, 2001, and the dawning of what he calls the “anthropological question.”

But this time he also had other things to say. And some of them go against widespread Catholic opinion.

For example, he did not stress the need for alarm over the secularist offensive. On the contrary, he said that the renewed interest in Christian religious and cultural identity, even on the part of intellectuals outside the Church, if anything helps to move beyond the historical phase of secularism. In his judgment, the idea of “secularism” must also be rethought within Catholic culture.

Nor did he express exaggerated fears over the Islamic challenge. He instead called attention back to the debut of other nations and civilizations as protagonists on the world scene, ** China being foremost among these.** Because in these civilizations religion plays a minor role and faith in a personal God is absent, Ruini foresees that they will contribute, not to a reinforcement of Christian identity in the West – as is happening now in the case of Islam – but rather to its weakening.

In terms of the “anthropological question,” Runi stressed that current scientific naturalism is not only theoretical, but practical: it acts physically upon the human subject and radically changes the social order; it alienates not only the Christian faith but the very centrality and dignity of man.

He invoked a response to this challenge composed in part of a cultural encounter between Catholics and non-Catholics. He also recommended the reading of two books: “Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution,” by American author Francis Fukuyama, and “Times of Transition,” by German philosopher Jürgen Habermas.

The outcome of this encounter – he foresees – “will impact the future of Christianity in a more profound and lasting manner even than the reawakening of its identity as occasioned by the threat of Islamic terrorism.”

Lastly, the cardinal recalled, quoting John Paul II, the “special duty” that the Italian Church, for geographical and historical reasons, is called to fulfill in the defense of the “religious and cultural heritage left to Rome by the apostles Peter and Paul.” He concluded by saying: “Catholics in other countries are watching us, and they expect a great deal from us.”

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Middle Kingdom? Is that anything like Middle Earth? I’ve always wanted to fight a troll! Oh, wait, I do that here every day.
For those who may not know, “Middle Kingdom” is the literal translation of the Chinese name for China.

DaveBj

40.png
HagiaSophia:
Nor did he express exaggerated fears over the Islamic challenge. He instead called attention back to the debut of other nations and civilizations as protagonists on the world scene, China being foremost among these. Because in these civilizations religion plays a minor role and faith in a personal God is absent, Ruini foresees that they will contribute, not to a reinforcement of Christian identity in the West – as is happening now in the case of Islam – but rather to its weakening.
Great insight.

I’ll repost something I wrote earlier:

Our American companies have been investing in China and creating jobs in China for years. We as a nation are building up China into an economic superpower. Once they become an economic superpower, they can make the move to become a military superpower.

Everyone in corporate America seems to forget China is a dictatorial Communist regime and poses the greatest potential threat if we ever get into a conflict with them.

Beijing will host the Summer Olympics in 2008. It will banner all the “great” and “wonderful” achievements of the Chinese Communist Government. In 1936, Berlin was the host of the Summer Olympics. Hitler used it to show off Germany to the world and the world praised the “great” and “wonderful” achievements of the German centralized state.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=18565

40.png
Hildebrand:
I’ll repost something I wrote earlier:
If you read the entire article initially posted you’ll see some interesting references to the “businessmen” and what they offer to China. No wonder greed is one of the capital sins. It indeed leads to so much more.

40.png
HagiaSophia:
If you read the entire article initially posted you’ll see some interesting references to the “businessmen” and what they offer to China. No wonder greed is one of the capital sins. It indeed leads to so much more.
I have to say here that it isn’t economic power that I decry, it is God-less economic power that scares the heck outta me.

I am for a free-market economy flourishing in ALL nations, but with economic freedom should be religious freedom too!!

40.png
Hildebrand:
Everyone in corporate America seems to forget China is a dictatorial Communist regime and poses the greatest potential threat if we ever get into a conflict with them.
Government and the corporate world build enemies out of two-bit countries who have no navies or air forces or the ability to support armies 100 miles outside of their borders.

The corporate world does it willingly for profits. The government seems to do it for votes and oil. The soldiers do it because they are told to.

And we look at North Korea, a brutal dictatorship that kills its own people and which is China’s chief puppet and is testing missiles that can reach Japan today, and maybe Pearl Harbor tomorrow, and say, “Isn’t that special!?!”

The front lines of any Chinese attack will have a full complement of North Korean troops. They owe China big time!

I don’t disagree with much that I have read here.

Just like Japan in the 1930’s, China is tired of being left out of the industrial revolution. They want in, and nobody’s going to stop them, in their view.

40.png
jlw:
I have to say here that it isn’t economic power that I decry, it is God-less economic power that scares the heck outta me.

I am for a free-market economy flourishing in ALL nations, but with economic freedom should be religious freedom too!!
Free market economy is fine - but China wants a great deal more and the word “free” doesn’t enter into the equation methinks.

Vientiane*(AsiaNews/Agencies) – China is strengthening its economic role in South-East Asia. Not satisfied of weakening US power in Latin America at the last APEC summit, Beijing is now signing important trade deals at the summit of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) now underway in Vientiane (Laos). It is increasing its own influence in a region once dominated by the US and Japan.

But for some observers, these trade deals are potentially harmful to workers in ASEAN countries and to democratisation efforts in both the ASEAN region and China itself.

The goal of accords signed by the ten ASEAN members (Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam) and China is to create by 2010 the largest free trade area worth over US$ 2 trillion with nearly 2 billion people.

But the relationship between the two parties remains ambiguous. On the one hand, ASEAN countries remain weary of China because of the possibility that the Communist giant might intervene militarily to solve territorial questions. On the other, China has become ASEAN’s largest source of foreign investment. “Whether we like it or not, we have to trade with China,” said Winichai Chaemchaeng, director general of Thailand’s Trade Negotiation Department.

The ASEAN-China pact will be signed today at a meeting of ASEAN leaders and those of the association’s partners such as China.

The pact is not limited to economic questions but covers security, politics, technology, medicine and transportation.

In signing the plan of action, China secures a steady supply of oil and raw materials from Southeast Asia to feed its booming economy. Linking up with ASEAN also helps Beijing further isolate Taiwan: in the final declaration ASEAN foreign ministers accept the ‘One China’ principle.

The plan calls for cooperation in military training, agreements on cyber security, tourism promotion and the creation of early-warning systems for illnesses like SARS, AIDS and bird flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back