The misconception that irks you the most

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicSoxFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a Lutheran play too? 😃

When non-Christians use the “Didn’t Jesus love everyone?” line to advocate for homosexual “rights.”

When Protestants say that Roman Catholics worship Mary.

When Protestants think we Lutherans are Roman Catholic. Or when Roman Catholics lump ‘all those Protestants’ together (Basically, the “Paradoxy” subhead of this: touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=11-03-014-f)

When people misunderstand - or worse, change the meaning of - the Lutheran practice of Sola Scriptura.

When Roman Catholics quote the Fathers as if Lutherans don’t also read and refer to them.

When people think we chose the name ‘Lutheran’ for ourselves, or that we follow the man.
I don’t think it was the Catholics that lumped the Protestants together. I think that comes from all the non-Catholic denominations that popped up and are still popping up since the Protestant Reformation. God Bless, Memaw
 
I don’t think it was the Catholics that lumped the Protestants together. I think that comes from all the non-Catholic denominations that popped up and are still popping up since the Protestant Reformation. God Bless, Memaw
Well, Lutherans have never lumped ourselves in with the others, and generally, neither have Anglicans.

Jon
 
Well, Lutherans have never lumped ourselves in with the others, and generally, neither have Anglicans.

Jon
Not to take us off topic, but Christian bodies can be generally divided into two main categories: liturgical and evangelical. I know evangelicals who think all liturgical people are not saved because we don’t hold to OSAS or we hold that baptism is what makes one a Christian not simply an acceptance of Jesus as Savior. So, Catholics as well as Lutherans and Episcopalians are lumped together into one group, while Baptists,Pentecostals, and Non-denominationals are lumped into the other group.

It bothers me that some people think they know who is saved and who isn’t based on who is liturgical and who is evangelical.
 
Not to take us off topic, but Christian bodies can be generally divided into two main categories: liturgical and evangelical. I know evangelicals who think all liturgical people are not saved because we don’t hold to OSAS or we hold that baptism is what makes one a Christian not simply an acceptance of Jesus as Savior. So, Catholics as well as Lutherans and Episcopalians are lumped together into one group, while Baptists,Pentecostals, and Non-denominationals are lumped into the other group.

It bothers me that some people think they know who is saved and who isn’t based on who is liturgical and who is evangelical.
It gets more confusing all the time. I always thought it was, Jewish, Catholic and Protestant. There are to many that fall under the Protestant denominations to keep track of. And they don’t even agree with each other as to what they believe. The Catholic Doctrine has stayed the same for 2.000 years and will be the same till the end of the world. God Bless, Memaw
 
That Catholics don’t know scripture. As I’ve been told, “Roman Catholics don’t read the bible”.

I have to admit… I do enjoy seeing the look on their face when ask for their bible and start walking them through it. 😃
 
That I am irked by such misconceptions is why I try my best to be charitable when dialoguing with folks from different backgrounds. Lest I be guilty of the same.
 
The way they constantly refer to the Church as the “Roman” Church or the “Roman Catholics”; it’s always a pejorative to associate the Church with pagan Rome.
We are Roman Catholics!

What used to annoy me growing up in England was being told that I am on the side of the IRA because I was a Catholic, which of course I was/am not.
 
A lot of my friends and family, who are protestants, like to ask questions, such as, “Is he Catholic or Christian?” All I can tell them is that Catholics are Christians. If Christian means Christ follower, and Catholics follow the teachings of Christ, they can’t logically not be Christians!
 
A lot of my friends and family, who are protestants, like to ask questions, such as, “Is he Catholic or Christian?” All I can tell them is that Catholics are Christians. If Christian means Christ follower, and Catholics follow the teachings of Christ, they can’t logically not be Christians!
For many people using the word “Christian” is a way of avoiding the word “Protestant,” which many Protestants like to deny being. 🤷
 
For many people using the word “Christian” is a way of avoiding the word “Protestant,” which many Protestants like to deny being. 🤷
I never thought of it that way before.
 
I never thought of it that way before.
It’s a growing trend, at least here in the USA. Many whose parents proudly wore the title “Protestant” are now denying that their particular ecclesial body is protesting the Catholic Church but rather are living Christianity according to the first century Church or according to the Bible only. By claiming the title “Christian” instead of “Protestant” they need not answer for denying the Catholic Church’s teachings with which they disagree. And they can avoid the taint of being a break away splinter of the Church. They can claim they are Christ’s Church–an invisible part of a larger invisible body called “Christian.”
 
It’s a growing trend, at least here in the USA. Many whose parents proudly wore the title “Protestant” are now denying that their particular ecclesial body is protesting the Catholic Church but rather are living Christianity according to the first century Church or according to the Bible only. By claiming the title “Christian” instead of “Protestant” they need not answer for denying the Catholic Church’s teachings with which they disagree. And they can avoid the taint of being a break away splinter of the Church. They can claim they are Christ’s Church–an invisible part of a larger invisible body called “Christian.”
Ambiguity is to be preferred.
 
For many people using the word “Christian” is a way of avoiding the word “Protestant,” which many Protestants like to deny being. 🤷
Because I grew up protestant, I definitely see your point. When people asked us what our religion was, we were taught to say “Christian.” I honestly couldn’t have told you what the term “protestant” meant until late high school. Even now, I know plenty of people at my old Baptist Church who don’t know the difference between protestants and Lutherans and think of them as two separate religions. I wonder why protestant is a term that’s looked down on so much. Anybody have any insight?
 
Because I grew up protestant, I definitely see your point. When people asked us what our religion was, we were taught to say “Christian.” I honestly couldn’t have told you what the term “protestant” meant until late high school. Even now, I know plenty of people at my old Baptist Church who don’t know the difference between protestants and Lutherans and think of them as two separate religions. I wonder why protestant is a term that’s looked down on so much. Anybody have any insight?
The term Protestant of course means one who protests. Many non-Catholic Christians don’t want to be associated with that definition. Besides this, it makes an automatic connection between them and the Catholic Church, which is the body being protested. So, it’s fallen out of popularity and use among many. I would say that most Protestants know very little of the history of the reformation and/or they truly think that their particular church is the same as the one in 33 AD. They’re wrong about this, and if they knew any real history they’d know that. But, since they are no longer taught anything about Catholicism or the reformation they have grown up in ignorance.
 
The term Protestant of course means one who protests. Many non-Catholic Christians don’t want to be associated with that definition. Besides this, it makes an automatic connection between them and the Catholic Church, which is the body being protested. So, it’s fallen out of popularity and use among many. I would say that most Protestants know very little of the history of the reformation and/or they truly think that their particular church is the same as the one in 33 AD. They’re wrong about this, and if they knew any real history they’d know that. But, since they are no longer taught anything about Catholicism or the reformation they have grown up in ignorance.
I would have to agree with you there. I learned more about the reformation and church history in school than I did in any type of church setting. All of my pastors and the members of the church were very passionate about their faith, but sometimes I feel they were too busy looking for future changes they could make to the church than looking at the church’s history.
 
The term Protestant of course means one who protests. Many non-Catholic Christians don’t want to be associated with that definition. Besides this, it makes an automatic connection between them and the Catholic Church, which is the body being protested. So, it’s fallen out of popularity and use among many. I would say that most Protestants know very little of the history of the reformation and/or they truly think that their particular church is the same as the one in 33 AD. They’re wrong about this, and if they knew any real history they’d know that. But, since they are no longer taught anything about Catholicism or the reformation they have grown up in ignorance.
Hi Della,
The term initially hD nothing to do with a protest of the CC, but instead out of the protest at the Second Diet if Speyer in 1529, when religious freedom was being limited.
The ambiguity now is that the term is applied loosely to all non-catholic western communions. Further, as you alude to, most have no sense of protest against the CC, even if that was the meaning of the term.

It isn’t used by many, in part because it doesn’t apply. For others because it is misapplied as an attempt to group communions into a monolith that doesn’t exist, and never has.

Jon
 
Hi Della,
The term initially hD nothing to do with a protest of the CC, but instead out of the protest at the Second Diet if Speyer in 1529, when religious freedom was being limited.
The ambiguity now is that the term is applied loosely to all non-catholic western communions. Further, as you alude to, most have no sense of protest against the CC, even if that was the meaning of the term.

It isn’t used by many, in part because it doesn’t apply. For others because it is misapplied as an attempt to group communions into a monolith that doesn’t exist, and never has.

Jon
See how easy it is to deny the truth with a few words!, God Bless, Memaw
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top