The misconception that irks you the most

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicSoxFan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, where was I wrong?
Jon – you weren’t wrong. Just as non-Catholics make erroneous assumptions about Catholics, the reverse is also true. I say erroneous because these assumptions are not (usually) intentional but are the result of nearly five centuries’ worth of antagonism. If that’s what you have always been taught, that’s likely what you will believe.

I appreciate this forum because it provides an opportunity for us to learn more about each other.
 
Because I grew up protestant, I definitely see your point. When people asked us what our religion was, we were taught to say “Christian.” I honestly couldn’t have told you what the term “protestant” meant until late high school. Even now, I know plenty of people at my old Baptist Church who don’t know the difference between protestants and Lutherans and think of them as two separate religions. I wonder why protestant is a term that’s looked down on so much. Anybody have any insight?
Evangelicals, Fundamentalists and non-denominationalists often distance themselves from mainline Protestant Churches. The line between mainline and Evangelical is not often clear however. Many Southern Baptists consider themselves to be Evangelicals. But the point is that many distance themselves from the older, more organized “mainline” Protestant denominations such as Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc., which they see as just as bad as the Catholic Church.

This is highly simplified, but for many the belief is that the corporate institution is not divine, and exists as an aid in his personal relationship to Jesus. The personal relationship with Jesus is everything, and when an organization begins to insert itself between the believer and Jesus, when it supposes to be a mediator or arbitrator between Jesus and the believer, that becomes a problem for many. To these, “Protestant” is just another term for Churches which grew too big or became to established or entrenched, and have inserted themselves artificially between the believer and Jesus.

My self proclaimed “non-denominational” friends would distance themselves from Lutheran, Presbyterian and Methodist “Protestants” as quickly as they would distance themselves from Catholics. They will quickly tell you that they are not Protestant - they shrug and say things like, “I’m not protesting anything.” You speak to these about Martin Luther or Calvin and they look at you as if you have three heads and ask you why you are talking to them about a five hundred year old dead guy. They will tell you that Luther and Calvin have nothing to do with their faith, that their faith is based on their own reading of the Bible and their own relationship with Jesus.

Though the lines are sometimes blurred, Evangelical non-denominational Christianity is truly another branch of Christianity apart from Protestantism in the eyes of many of its own.

-Tim-
 
I really dislike the “the Church is anti-science” misconception. I find that people use it all the time and yet if they bothered to do even a little bit of historical research they would find that it is completely inaccurate.
 
I really dislike the “the Church is anti-science” misconception. I find that people use it all the time and yet if they bothered to do even a little bit of historical research they would find that it is completely inaccurate.
Yeah, and they dismiss everything they hear to the contrary, because Hitchens said so. Btw, if anyone here takes this misconception seriously, or has heard it a lot and doesn’t know how to refute it, I suggest the ETWN series, “Catholic Church: Builder of Civilization.”
 
The term Protestant of course means one who protests. Many non-Catholic Christians don’t want to be associated with that definition. Besides this, it makes an automatic connection between them and the Catholic Church, which is the body being protested. So, it’s fallen out of popularity and use among many. I would say that most Protestants know very little of the history of the reformation and/or they truly think that their particular church is the same as the one in 33 AD. They’re wrong about this, and if they knew any real history they’d know that. But, since they are no longer taught anything about Catholicism or the reformation they have grown up in ignorance.
Della,

Doesn’t one have to protest in order to be called a protestant?

Half the Non-Catholics I know are not protesting anything at all… 🤷

Most of them are happy go jolly Christians that have simple lives and get very confused when you bring up theological and historical arguments. At which they ask you if you believe in Jesus and you say yes, and then they smile and tell you to please stop talking about complicated things because you are giving them a headache.

I would not be too quick to call them a protestant before calling them non-catholic. And while all protestants are non-catholics, not all non-catholics are protestants. 🙂
 
Della,

Doesn’t one have to protest in order to be called a protestant?

Half the Non-Catholics I know are not protesting anything at all… 🤷

Most of them are happy go jolly Christians that have simple lives and get very confused when you bring up theological and historical arguments. At which they ask you if you believe in Jesus and you say yes, and then they smile and tell you to please stop talking about complicated things because you are giving them a headache.

I would not be too quick to call them a protestant before calling them non-catholic. And while all protestants are non-catholics, not all non-catholics are protestants. 🙂
Of course, that was my very point. 🙂
 
Jon – you weren’t wrong. Just as non-Catholics make erroneous assumptions about Catholics, the reverse is also true. I say erroneous because these assumptions are not (usually) intentional but are the result of nearly five centuries’ worth of antagonism. If that’s what you have always been taught, that’s likely what you will believe.

I appreciate this forum because it provides an opportunity for us to learn more about each other.
Thanks, Pastor
It is salsa us good when you pop in.

Jon
 
Evangelicals, Fundamentalists and non-denominationalists often distance themselves from mainline Protestant Churches. The line between mainline and Evangelical is not often clear however. Many Southern Baptists consider themselves to be Evangelicals. But the point is that many distance themselves from the older, more organized “mainline” Protestant denominations such as Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc., which they see as just as bad as the Catholic Church.

This is highly simplified, but for many the belief is that the corporate institution is not divine, and exists as an aid in his personal relationship to Jesus. The personal relationship with Jesus is everything, and when an organization begins to insert itself between the believer and Jesus, when it supposes to be a mediator or arbitrator between Jesus and the believer, that becomes a problem for many. To these, “Protestant” is just another term for Churches which grew too big or became to established or entrenched, and have inserted themselves artificially between the believer and Jesus.

My self proclaimed “non-denominational” friends would distance themselves from Lutheran, Presbyterian and Methodist “Protestants” as quickly as they would distance themselves from Catholics. They will quickly tell you that they are not Protestant - they shrug and say things like, “I’m not protesting anything.” You speak to these about Martin Luther or Calvin and they look at you as if you have three heads and ask you why you are talking to them about a five hundred year old dead guy. They will tell you that Luther and Calvin have nothing to do with their faith, that their faith is based on their own reading of the Bible and their own relationship with Jesus.

Though the lines are sometimes blurred, Evangelical non-denominational Christianity is truly another branch of Christianity apart from Protestantism in the eyes of many of its own.

-Tim-
Hmm that makes a lot of sense. I can vouch for the fact that there’s a huge emphasis on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ in a lot of so-called “protestant churches.” I recently read about an interesting idea a theologian proposed where he said too many people, girls especially, are living in a way that he called “Jesus is my boyfriend Christianity.” He focused on how a lot of people will say they’re going on a date with Jesus or Something of the sort. While I agree that a personal relationship with Jesus is a good thing and that making him the center of your life is important, I can say from experience that a lot of these nondenominational or evangelical churches focus so much on making Jesus their best friend, that the fact that he deserves respect is forgotten at times. That being said, disrespect is not tolerated in my experience, but I’ve really enjoyed the reverence shown in mass 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top