The names of Angels?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hawkeye916
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hawkeye916

Guest
Just a thought, but do we know the names of any angels other than archangels? Considering there are many ranks above the archangels I wonder if any other angels have been specificity named.(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
As of yet, only Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael have been divinely revealed to us in Scripture and in Tradition as far as angel names go.
 
I think Lucifer was either a cherubim or a seraphim before the Fall. I can’t remember which.
 
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/c...on_ccdds_doc_20020513_vers-direttorio_en.html

"when the daily events of life, which have nothing or little to do with our progressive maturing on the journey towards Christ are read schematically or simplistically, indeed childishly, so as to ascribe all setbacks to the Devil and all success to the Guardian Angels. The practice of assigning names to the Holy Angels should be discouraged, except in the cases of Gabriel, Raphael and Michael whose names are contained in Holy Scripture."
 
I think Lucifer was either a cherubim or a seraphim before the Fall. I can’t remember which.
Lucifer is not a divinely revealed name for any angel, even the devil. That came out through a misreading of the Latin Vulgate (where the word “lucifer” is a common noun, not a proper noun) which got fixed in the popular medieval mind. There is no support in Scripture or Tradition that says “the devil was once an angel named Lucifer.” Only that he IS a fallen angel.

The only real Lucifer I know (proper name), is St. Lucifer of Cagliari, Bishop. With reference to Jesus, “lucifer” (common noun) is a title, not a name.

There are only three divinely revealed angelic names: Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. The rest are from noncanonical Jewish sources.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes one see Uriel.

I have seen where some theologians posit that Michael is actually a seraph and “archangel” is used more in a generic way than assigning him to a choir.

In any event - who really knows in this life…
 
40.png
johnnykins:
Sometimes one see Uriel.
He is mentioned in the Book of Enoch.
And 2 Esdras.
 
Uriel is recognized by both the Orthodox and the Anglicans. I know in Anglicanism he is considered the patron saint of Confirmation.

While digging into why, I found this. Apparently it goes back to a very old catholic tradition where each of the seven Archangels was viewed as the patron of one of the Sacraments:

Michael - Eucharist
Raphael - Reconciliation
Gabriel - Baptism
Uriel - Confirmation
Zerachiel - Matrimony
Raguel - Ordination
Remiel - Anointing of the Sick
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top