The Navarre Bible - Revelation Texts and Commentaries

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_in_Dallas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave_in_Dallas

Guest
Anyone used this? Recommend it? I might want to explore Revelation from a Catholic perspective, and wondering if this is a good place to start or is there another text that might be better to use for those who want a broad beginner understanding?
 
Anyone used this? Recommend it? I might want to explore Revelation from a Catholic perspective, and wondering if this is a good place to start or is there another text that might be better to use for those who want a broad beginner understanding?
I like the Navarre Commentary and wouldn’t steer anybody away from it.

I’ve used 3 books recently to study Revelations.
  1. The Navarre
  2. Coming Soon - Unlocking Revelation by Michael Barber.
  3. Agape.Com - Study of Revelation (you’ll find about 12 on-line studies of both OT and NT books). The Agape study is free.
I found Michael Barber’s and Agape’s studies to be better than the Navarre. Not that I didn’t like the Navarre, but there were two points in the Navarre that I didn’t agree with. One was the dating of the writing (I think they thought it was under Nero in the 60’s or early 70’s), while the other two studies felt it was under Domition (in the 90’s). There was one other opinion that just didn’t smell right to me.

In a nutshell, I think you’ll find Michael Barber’s to be the easiest read. The Navarre doesn’t have as much information, but it’s not quite as easy to read as Mr. Barber’s. Agape’s Study is easy to read, but in the 22 on-line lessons (that I copy and paste to a MicroSoft Word document for my own private reading), you’ll find over 500 pages of information. This might be a little overwhelming for the beginner, but I found it most enjoyable and easy to read.

Good Luck!
 
The Navarre is great. I would also recommend the Ignatius Study Bible commentary on Revelation (or just get the whole New Testament commentary, since it’s so inexpensive right now at Amazon.com), and Scott Hahn’s “The Lamb’s Supper”, which has a LOT to do with Revelation.
 
I recommend the Navarre Bible, I think it is one of the best set of commentaries on the market. I wrote a commentary on Revelation from mostly an ancient Catholic perspective based upon a lot of the Fathers of the Church, and it takes a diffeent approach than the Navarre Bible. I personally recommend it since I designed to my preferences. Here it is litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Commentary+on+Revelation+by+John+Litteral

I am working on a commentary on Revelation that is arranged in chronolocial timelines where I put together the events of Revelation in chronological order. I should be done in a few months.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top