The Necessity of Prayer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blackbog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackbog

Guest
I just began reading Karl Keating’s The Usual Suspects. I quote from the last paragraph of the third chapter:

“A single conversation is almost never enough to effect a conversion, and no number of conversations, no amount of instruction, will work without prayer. These are good points from a Protestant writer from whom a Catholic can learn much, even while disagreeing on much.”

When he says no conversations/instruction will work without prayer, I presume he means on the part of those other than the one being converted.

This is a nice sentiment, but I find its truthfulness suspect. I can easily imagine a conversion happening without anyone actually praying for the person. Although we obviously should pray for conversions, logically I don’t grasp the basis for the statement that a conversion can’t “work” without prayer.
 
I just began reading Karl Keating’s The Usual Suspects. I quote from the last paragraph of the third chapter:

“A single conversation is almost never enough to effect a conversion, and no number of conversations, no amount of instruction, will work without prayer. These are good points from a Protestant writer from whom a Catholic can learn much, even while disagreeing on much.”

When he says no conversations/instruction will work without prayer, I presume he means on the part of those other than the one being converted.

This is a nice sentiment, but I find its truthfulness suspect. I can easily imagine a conversion happening without anyone actually praying for the person. Although we obviously should pray for conversions, logically I don’t grasp the basis for the statement that a conversion can’t “work” without prayer.
I would think that the party converting would surely be praying to God himself/herself for direction and guidance during the conversion process. Prayers are necessary for the soul like food and water are for the body. 👍
A conversion won’t last without prayer. That person would have his/her RCIA sponsor praying for them, as well as the Catholic community he/she is about to join.
 
A single conversation is almost never enough to effect a conversion, and no number of conversations, no amount of instruction, will work without prayer.
I agree with the first part, and the lives of many in history will bear that out. The first thought that came to mind as I read your words was the conversion of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, a protestant. Her stumbling block was the holy Eucharist. The biographies tell us that many conversations took place with her Catholic friend who gradually helped her overcome her doubts. I would also believe that he offered many prayers to God to ask for His help to instruct her, and also for Elizabeth to come to full faith in these truths. He must have been a mighty prayer warrior, for she became a canonized saint.

It is a misconception in the minds of many to think that all we have to do is TELL people the truth, and they will SEE and believe. 😛 Not so, as evidenced on this forum continually. Prayer is essential if we are leading someone to the faith.

Bear in mind, though, that prayer is not always effective, for there are many conversions that take place without specific petitions in our prayer, and without these conversations taking place. God sends His grace, yet He has multiple ways of working in man’s heart and bringing a person to Himself.

However, I believe that Jesus’s words are helpful to reflect on, “For THEM I sanctify myself, that THEY also may be sanctified in truth.” Jn. 17:19. The more holy we become, the more we are able to obtain for others the grace to convert, even though they do not know us or hear us. It is part of being in the mystical Body of Christ that the vine nourishes the tiny branches in proportion that they remain in the vine and are healthy with the sap of Christ’s grace. It just flows to others without being aware of it.
 
Conversion is not possible without prayer. As with all human relations, what is the point of our getting to know God if we are not conversing with God?
 
I can easily imagine a conversion happening without anyone actually praying for the person. Although we obviously should pray for conversions, logically I don’t grasp the basis for the statement that a conversion can’t “work” without prayer.
Faith is a gift from God. The Bible tells us “it was not you who called me, but I who called you,”, or something to that effect, where God is speaking that line.
There are 2 basic scenarios you’ll be working from in your apologetical/evangelical work.
  1. You’re conversing with a hard-core believer of whatever non-Catholic religion/denomination/sect. We, as Catholics, possess the fullness of truth, and thus, every other belief system must be illogical on some point. Since this person is hard-core into their religion, they have obviously glossed over this illogicity. Thus, they need your prayers to help them see the light.
  2. You’re conversing with a lukewarm non-Catholic, and so you’re going to need the Holy Spirit big-time to fire them up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top