The New Catholic Answers Bible NAB

  • Thread starter Thread starter hazmae
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hazmae

Guest
Hoping someone can help. I recently bought the New CA Bible with sidebar notes. I should probably know this but can’t figure out what the Q means when it says something like “most of this text was probably from Q”.

What does the cf mean before referencing a Scripture?

Is there a key somewhere that would explain all this?
I have subscribed to Catholic Answers for years and don’t find the answers difficult to understand at all, however, I would not recommend this Bible to anyone just starting study. I have had to look up numerous definitions and I’ve barely started.

Thank you so much for any help anyone can give me.:confused:
 
I recently bought the New CA Bible with sidebar notes. I should probably know this but can’t figure out what the Q means when it says something like “most of this text was probably from Q”.
Hazmae, I guess I am surprised that Catholic Answers would publish/sponsor a NAB edition of the Bible. My sense is that the NAB is not a preferred translation here at CAF.

A search of Amazon.com shows there is a Catholic Answer (NB: not Catholic Answers) edition of the NAB. Is that the Bible you own?

As for Q, I believe that is a reference to the hypothetical text which was a source for the writing of both Matthew and Luke.
 
It IS The New Catholic Answer Bible published by Our Sunday Visitor and has inserts by Paul Thigpen and Dave Armstrong. With Mr. Thigpens name and published by OSV I felf pretty safe buying it. It also has the NIHIL OBSTAT and IMPRIMATUR declarations.

thank you
 
Hazmae, I guess I am surprised that Catholic Answers would publish/sponsor a NAB edition of the Bible. My sense is that the NAB is not a preferred translation here at CAF.

A search of Amazon.com shows there is a Catholic Answer (NB: not Catholic Answers) edition of the NAB. Is that the Bible you own?

As for Q, I believe that is a reference to the hypothetical text which was a source for the writing of both Matthew and Luke.
Yes, “Q” stands for “Quelle” (“Who”) - a theoretical protogospel by an unknown writer, supposed by some to explain the textual parallels between Matthew and Luke.

cf means “see also” - from the Latin for “consult” (not only in this book but in common use, the way “eg” means “for example”)

There are many posters on CAF who dislike the NAB and particularly the notes - I haven’t seen the new edition and don’t know if the notations in this edition replace or supplement the unpopular ones.

Regardless of liking or disliking it, the NAB (with its on-going revisions) is the translation designated for proclamation at Mass in the United States.
 
Just curious about why it would not be a favorite here?
Many people have their own reasons. Personally, I just don’t like the rather one-sided prefaces and footnotes. By “one-sided”, I mean the fact that the NAB presents the Documentary Hypothesis (i.e. the Pentateuch was derived from originally independent, parallel and complete narratives, which were subsequently combined into the current form by a series of redactors), aka JEPD or the Two-Source Hypothesis (Q and all that) or Markan priority (that Mark was written first) as if they’re the only legitimate ‘scholarly’ opinions out there with no other competitors.

Admittedly, these opinions are now the majority among researchers, but to present them as if they’re established fact is a pit that some do fall into. Personally, I wish they’d at least devote more space for the other solutions to the so-called Synoptic Problem, such as the Augustinian (the traditional view) or the Griesbach or the Farrer and present a more balanced view (you know, let the reader decide which hypothesis is more probable), or (preferably) just not delve into them at all.

That ‘Mark was written first’ and that ‘Matthew and Luke borrowed from Q and Mark’ is taken to the point that in some places, they just say ‘Matthew/Luke did so-and-so to Mark’s text’ without further elaboration as if they’re gospel truth (pun intended)! Here, for example, are the footnotes for Matthew 27:11 and 22:

King of the Jews: this title is used of Jesus only by pagans. The Matthean instances are, besides this verse, Matthew 2:2; 27:29, 37. Matthew equates it with “Messiah”; cf Matthew 2:2, 4 and Matthew 27:17, 22 where he has changed “the king of the Jews” of his Marcan source (Mark 15:9, 12) to “(Jesus) called Messiah.” The normal political connotation of both titles would be of concern to the Roman governor. You say so: see the note on Matthew 26:25. An unqualified affirmative response is not made because Jesus’ kingship is not what Pilate would understand it to be.

Let him be crucified: incited by the chief priests and elders (Matthew 27:20), the crowds demand that Jesus be executed by crucifixion, a peculiarly horrible form of Roman capital punishment. The Marcan parallel, “Crucify him” (Mark 15:3), addressed to Pilate, is changed by Matthew to the passive, probably to emphasize the responsibility of the crowds.

As for the translation, I feel that the present edition is at least better than the original 1970 version (I have a rather worn-out copy of that) in that compared to the 1970 edition, it is not that “thought-for-thought” (aka ‘dynamic equivalence’, where instead of literally translating the source text word-for-word, you just attempt to convey the thought expressed therein - or at least your interpretation of that thought).

Meanwhile, the 1970 edition’s weakness lies on its often-dynamic translation and some ‘unconventional’ renderings (good in a few places, but bad in others), IMHO. Even so, the prefaces and the footnotes - while already showing some of the problems the present edition does - is in a less controversial and questionable form than they are today.
 
I don’t read German but I think I stand corrected. . .
I don’t understand German much either but the gist of his post seems to be that the actual equivalent of the word Quelle (a noun; unrelated to the French for ‘which?’) in English is ‘source’, as in the word Urquelle (Ur- ‘original, primitive’; ur- is also found in other constructions as Ursprache ‘proto-language’ or Urmonotheismus ‘primeval monotheism’ + quelle, from Old High German quella), meaning ‘original source’.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top