The Next President

• Thread starter Thread starter mjdonnelly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjdonnelly

I was wondering what everyone would think if the Republican nominee was Condi Rice, and the Democratic nominee was Hillary Clinton?

Aside from not liking the opposite parties nomination for whatever reason. But based on the 2 main parties both putting up women for office, and Condi being a minority.

It would kind of twist the arms of those who think someone can’t do a job based on their color, sex, etc.

Some gung-ho Republican Bushites on this site have proclaimed that the Republican Party will “NEVER” nominate a pro-choice candidate.

Well, Condi is pro-choice.

If it’s between Hillary & Condi, I will look for an acceptable alternative party candidate to vote for and, failing that, will vote for none of the above.

Elaine's Cross:
Some gung-ho Republican Bushites on this site have proclaimed that the Republican Party will “NEVER” nominate a pro-choice candidate.

Well, Condi is pro-choice.

If it’s between Hillary & Condi, I will look for an acceptable alternative party candidate to vote for and, failing that, will vote for none of the above.
Or it might be Rudi Giuliani, a law-and-order man, though pro-choice.

Heck, even George Bush favored the “three exceptions” for abortions.

I will never vote for a pro-death candidate, so they’re both out. It’s pretty slim pickins’ out there and responsibility or not, if pro-death candidates is all there is from which to choose, I will not vote. Period.
IMO my moral responsibility far outweighs my “patriotic” responsibility.

40.png
catsrus:
I will never vote for a pro-death candidate, so they’re both out. It’s pretty slim pickins’ out there and responsibility or not, if pro-death candidates is all there is from which to choose, I will not vote. Period.
IMO my moral responsibility far outweighs my “patriotic” responsibility.
An added complication is that even some anti-abortion politicians are pro-death when it comes to capital punishment. It’ll be difficult to find someone who is truly pro-life.

An added complication is that even some anti-abortion politicians are pro-death when it comes to capital punishment. It’ll be difficult to find someone who is truly pro-life.
:amen:

Is the next election this year? 4 years is a long way off. Concentrate on the midterm elections and electing pro-life people there.

40.png
buffalo:
Is the next election this year? 4 years is a long way off.
If you wait four years, forget about it. The '08 elections are perhaps no more than two and a half years off when it comes to choosing candidates.

I hope to see more pro-life Democrats running. I hope the party has learned from the '04 elections.

Mitt Romney will win the next Republican bid for President. The GOP got out of the habit of nominating anything less than a former governor or VP in the 60s. Kennedy was the last elected Senator in 1961. The capacity to legislate does not necessarily equate to the capacity to lead the nation. Maybe someday the DNC will figure this out, Senators don’t fair well in Presidential elections. Here’s a list:

Theodore Roosevelt - Governor, New York
William Taft - Secretary of War, personally endorsed by Theodore Roosevelt
Woodrow Wilson - Governor, New Jersey
Warren Harding - Liutenant Governor, Ohio and Senator
Calvin Coolidge - Governor, Massechussetts
Herbert Hoover - Secretary of Commerce
Franklin D. Roosevelt - Governor, New York
Harry Truman - Vice President
Dwight Eisenhower - Former Allied Supreme Commander
John F. Kennedy - Senator, Massechussetts
Lyndon Johnson - Vice President (not elected)
Richard Nixon - Governor, California
Gerald Ford - Vice President (not elected)
Jimmy Carter - Governor, Georgia
Ronald Reagan - Governor, California
George H.W. Bush - Vice President
Bill Clinton - Governor, Arkansas
George W. Bush - Governor, Texas

So, here is the breakdown:
Since 1901, there have been 18 Presidents. Of those, 12 were either Governors, Luitenant Governors, or Vice Presidents. 2 of them were Vice Presidents and elevated to President (Johnson and Ford). Of the remaining 4, Taft was personally selected by Teddy Roosevelt as his successor. Eisenhower, the former Supreme Allied Commander during WWII, had his election essentially garanteed in when he was nominated. Hoover gained his reputation as Secretary of Commerce under Harding and Coolidge. Kennedy was the only lifelong legislator to be elected President in the last 104 years.

I’m sorry, I don’t think I was clear in my question.

What do you think about both MAJOR political parties putting up a woman as their nomination for president.

I’m not asking about an alternative, unless that is how you feel about having a woman as a president.

40.png
Richardols:
Capital Punishment, like war, is NOT a non-negotiable issue. The Death Penalty can never be contrary to Catholic Doctrine and could perhaps be issued justly in the US Judicial System.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
I’m not asking about an alternative, unless that is how you feel about having a woman as a president.
I am not too optimistic about it, name one great pro-life female Governor or Senator. I can’t.

Kay Bailey Hutchison is in support of expanded funding of embryonic stem cell research.

Capital Punishment, like war, is NOT a non-negotiable issue. The Death Penalty can never be contrary to Catholic Doctrine and could perhaps be issued justly in the US Judicial System.
But it is a non-negotiable issue for me personally, making 6 non-negotiables in my book.
And you are correct by saying that the death penalty “*could perhaps *be issued justly in the US Judicial System”. But it is not. 😦

40.png
catsrus:
And you are correct by saying that the death penalty “*could perhaps *be issued justly in the US Judicial System”. But it is not. 😦
In some cases it might have been. For instance, Timothy McVeigh may have warranted the death penalty. I am more in favor of tiny cells, solitary confinement, bad tasting food, and the “fate worst than death” scenario over the death penalty for citizens who commit murder. However, the ACLU would sue in the courts to reverse it.

Still, the state possesses the right to administer capital punishment. Rights carry responsibilities with them. For capital punishment, the responsibilities are paramount, something that many leaders forget.

The Serbian terrorists who killed the Catholic Emperor in 1914, in my opinion, deserved the death penalty. It was administered to them. The only one who did not receive it was the minor and he served a prison sentence. There are instances in my humble opinion, where it ought to be sanctioned. Those instances are very rare.

MODS - Please close this thread, was never on topic despite my efforts.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
I’m sorry, I don’t think I was clear in my question.

What do you think about both MAJOR political parties putting up a woman as their nomination for president.

While I am not intrinsically opposed to having a woman as President, the part I think that most people have a problem with is having a female Commander in Chief of the most powerful military force on the planet. Since all combat troops are men, I think there is some resentment at having to take orders from someone who could never function in a capacity that they would have the power to lead. In a simple analogy, it would be like me showing my daughter how to use sanitary napkins. Aside from the generally eerieness of that situation, I don’t know how to use one, and will never NEED to use one. The country doesn’t NEED a female President to show the world how egalitarian and enlightened we are as a culture.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
While I am not intrinsically opposed to having a woman as President, the part I think that most people have a problem with is having a female Commander in Chief of the most powerful military force on the planet. Since all combat troops are men, I think there is some resentment at having to take orders from someone who could never function in a capacity that they would have the power to lead. In a simple analogy, it would be like me showing my daughter how to use sanitary napkins. Aside from the generally eerieness of that situation, I don’t know how to use one, and will never NEED to use one. The country doesn’t NEED a female President to show the world how egalitarian and enlightened we are as a culture.
I suspect that if you used this argument with your daughter she may show how and where to put the sanitary towel.

Sexist? Jeeeez…

40.png
mjdonnelly:
I was wondering what everyone would think if the Republican nominee was Condi Rice, and the Democratic nominee was Hillary Clinton?

Aside from not liking the opposite parties nomination for whatever reason. But based on the 2 main parties both putting up women for office, and Condi being a minority.

It would kind of twist the arms of those who think someone can’t do a job based on their color, sex, etc.
Hate to break the news to you, but Condi even said on TV she had no intention on running for President. She said that the answer was simply no.

Padre Pio “The Rosary is the weapon.”

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Since all combat troops are men
Women are serving in combat positions in Iraq.
I think there is some resentment at having to take orders from someone who could never function in a capacity that they would have the power to lead.
Women officers are already commanding soldiers. I’ve not heard of resentment that a soldier has to obey a woman’s order.
The country doesn’t NEED a female President to show the world how egalitarian and enlightened we are as a culture.
That isn’t the reason why either the Dems or the GOP would have a woman run for president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back