The Oath and the Thigh

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyler54
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tyler54

Guest
Hello everyone,

I was reading through Genesis today and came across the passages where it discusses oaths. When this happens, there is mention that a hand is placed on the thigh as part of oaths. What is the significance of this?

Here is an example passage:
Genesis 47:29: When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called for his son Joseph and said to him, “If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise that you will show me kindness and faithfulness.

I look forward to your insights!
 
I can tell you it’s a euphemism for putting their hand on their nads. Basically the most vulnerable part of their body, so you can see how that fits.
 
I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m right giddy that nadshakes have been displaced by handshakes and slaps on the back. :whistle:
 
My understanding is that in the ancient world, men placed their hand between their legs when making an oath (literally “swearing on their manhood”) and that this is the origin of the word “testify” - I’ve also heard this is only folklore.

I don’t know if this was the practice under the Israelites, or if the quoted passage refers to something else entirely.
 
That’s what I understood it to be, a polite way of saying that Jacob made Joseph swear by his testicles (and hence his offspring) that he would not bury Jacob in in Egypt but carry his bones to be buried with his ancestors.

-Tim-
 
That’s what I understood it to be, a polite way of saying that Jacob made Joseph swear by his testicles (and hence his offspring) that he would not bury Jacob in in Egypt but carry his bones to be buried with his ancestors.

-Tim-
Yes indeed: Testify – testicles – testament – testimony. (Something the good sisters never quite got into.)
 
I have heard that explanation before, but note that he is to put his hand under Israel’s thigh; not his own. So he is swearing by Israel’s testicles; not his own.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top