The Other Guys

  • Thread starter Thread starter Timonator348
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no evidence that any apostle took a pen to paper at all- they operated in oral tradition.

Once that Bible is written, printed, and made available, someone using it disrespectfully is all on the recipient abusing that gift to humanity.

I think of Peter the rock sort of like a cop having to manage 12 eye witness testimonies trying to make earthly sense of something that completely blew all their socks off.

In an era when might made right, did the alpha personalities run roughshod over the best students?QUOTE (with some removed)]

I find your statements outrageous. Either I must question your identication as “Catholic” or your education (Catholic or history).

Do you seriously doubt the authenticity of John’s Gospel, or his Letters, or the Letter of James, or Paul’s Letters? If you do, you are parked in the wrong religion. These contain the very essence of Catholic teaching and Tradition, and you mock them.

Do you think the “Bible” did not “exist” until it was PRINTED? Please do your history lesson again.

Do you think Peter had all the time in the world (plus a jet) to get to all the locations where the Word was being taught and "manage’ and “run roughshod” over Paul and James, and Thomas and John? Give it a rest, please.

That the Word was taught so successfully and so consistently tends to bear out the promise of Jesus to ALL the apostles that He and the Spirit would be with them for all time.

Please use the full resources of this Catholic Answers site and STUDY the history of the Bible, and the letters of the early Fathers. You could learn some valuable information about the real Catholic Church.

I will pray for you. Peace be with you.
 
I do not think you will find any historical or church support for “female” apostles. On the other hand, I think you will find much evidence of the work and worth of the female disciples of Jesus. That no women wrote “for” the New testament was not a slam, but a realization of the patristric structure of the day. That’s “maybe” unfortunate, but true.

Don’t you think a letter or memoir from the Blessed Virgin would have been included, had one been available?

On the other hand, I think it a specious argument to say only the men had an (name removed by moderator)ut into the canon of the New Testament. Are you not aware that, when the Jewish rabbis convened to restructure the Old Testament (throw out the Greek, keep the Hebrew), they also were all men? There were no women teachers in the Jewish faith, as well as the early Christian faith.

It would eventually be the CATHOLIC Church which would elevate women to the honored position of Doctor of the Church.

Peace.
as for the Catholic Church, it was only recently that they apologized for leading folks to believe that Mary Magdalene was ever a prostitute. but “the church” has many things it needs to straighten out about itself.

however, everything you’ve heretofore stated is quite valid; Our Savior did not discriminate, and Mary Magdalene was the “first” apostle, carrying the news of His Resurrection to Peter (the tentative hothead) and John (His most faithful & best-loved disciple).

further (and not meaning to slight anyone), Luke (and Mark) wrote from “hearsay”, being a disciple and companion of Paul who had to be beaten to his knees before he ceased his persecutions, eventually becoming the most vocal of all the evangelists – male AND female.

additionally, most of these male apostles dictated to scribes (well-educated individuals), so as long as they could put two words together to convey their ideas, etc., etc., etc., and that explains who “wrote” what.

as for me? i’m waitin’ for the “new system” to come into effect when i can hear “the truth” from the Source – in the meantime, i “pray unceasingly” and give Jah the Praise!!
 
=TimothyH;7833291]It just occured to me that Paul referrs to himself as “An Apostle of Christ” many times. Maybe he is not one of the original 12 apostles but since he is widely recognized as an apostle in his own right, then this goes at least a little way toward proving Apostolic succesion.
EXCELLENT POINT as does peter calling for a REPLACMMENT for JUDAS the Traitor!

God Bless,
Pat
 
I haven’t read the bible in quite some time but as I remember the gospels are represented as a Man, Eagle, Leon & I believe a Bull (Apocalypse). What is known as Pentecost is the night when Jesus arrives and finds the apostles hiding in fear of the Jews in a house with closed doors and windows. When he appears before them he greets them with “Peace be with you”, I believe it was the second time with Thomas present he showed this apostle what he needed to see in order for him to believe. He then breathed on them the consoler then gave them the divine knowledge to fully understand the divine plan of God and all writings. This is important because their knowledge was complete at this point and from their what ever needed to be written in the New Testament was what scribes wrote. The book of acts then demonstrates the apostles were successful in implementing what Jesus had prepared them to do. If you read the entire bible with the catechism at you side and several other aids like theological dictionaries plus assist to Sunday Mass for a good 3 to 4 years you’ll understand all 72 books are there and none are missing. Without going to my bible if I’m not mistaken I believe it is John in writings in the book of revelation or Apocalypse which solves the question of the gospels. The Catholic calendar is designed in memory of Jesus’s public life which lasted 3 1/2 yrs. There are 3 cycles A, B & C and they cover the entire Bible in 3 1/2 yrs. Of course, what is covered is what matters, what I mean is that the parts used are those which connect. Explaining better would require the words of St. Agustin who said " The new testament is hidden in the old testament and the old testament is revealed in the new testament". It’s what is referred to as typology. I’m going to stop to make an important point; I believe it was when the Centurion or Roman Officer professes the words; “Only one word would suffice”. Strong faith would only require one word from the divinity of God. also Paul writes in Corinthians 13 something which means; you can know all that is written by God and if your heart lacks Love you wasted your life. Jesus parable of the seed of mustard is clear that the requirement of faith is small but if you employ that small seed of faith in your heart with great effort your understanding in divine terms will boost like a mustard tree. Salvation of the soul which came from up above and is within us is seriously a matter of life or death. One must take time out and develop what is not seen in the mirror. If you closed your eyes in a dark room and someone asked you; are you there? you would say; of course. Your inner self is what god made in his likeness. If a man loss his arms and legs through amputation, one could say; he’s missing parts, but his soul is “Entirely complete and missing not one part”. This is the part I’m referring to must be developed in order to pass on to the future life promised to us by the Lord himself. Your question although logical is really a matter of understanding only 4 Gospels were needed, the immediate vicinities received them in their particular language. Paul writes 13 epistles to gentile communities and teaches Christianity at great levels. Then there’s Hebrews by Apollo (Apollo was not an apostle), Letter of Peter, John, Jude and the Apocalypse. Apocalypse is the everything in one, and the writer is none the less than the beloved disciple whom Jesus directs to understand not only will he take his blessed mother Mary home but that Mary is now his mother and the mother of the new world in Christ. When you read the first 3 gospels you’ll find fire in your heart, but when you read John you will catapult in spiritually and just bear in mind one thing. John takes us to another dimension. Wonder why? If John whom only lived with Jesus 3 1/2 yrs was marveled by him imagine what privilege it would had been to take the mother of Jesus home. Who knew Jesus better than Mary? 30 years of what no one knows is now before John in the presence of the mother who never left the side of the son through all the 13 stations of agony 'till the cross and received the dead body of her only son in here arms. John’s writings can only be explained by the fact he had all meditations revealed accurately to him by the one who saw it all. He’s the only one who mentions her intercession at the wedding in Can and the only one to place her in heaven when he describes her in the Apocalypse after the sounding of the 7th trumpet. The ark of the alliance after the 7th trumpet in the liking of the 7 trumpet in Geri-co when Israel used the ark to defeat the enemy encountered. John reveals to us victory has been achieved. God bless you, I hope I helped a little.
 
2nd comment; I had to pick up my kid at a basketball court where he was watching his high school buddies play, so I cut it short. I would like to emphasis that in the new testament Hebrew was written by Apollo whom was not an Apostle. In the old testament some books are not written while in Israel but part of them were written while deported to Babylonia which places the 15 or so prophets which speak of the coming of the messiah. Isaiah, one of the 15 books written while deported from Israel and 700 yrs before Christ describes with gruesome accuracy the passion of Christ. Job is a story of a man of faith who is not a Jew but a gentile. Jonah professes in Ninive Iran to men who weren’t Jew’s to repent. Elias leaves Israel to live with a window outside of Israel for 3 years before returning to end a dry season in Israel. Proverbs first half or so is written by Solomon but the latter end is finished by someone else, Psalms written by King David are also finished by someone else. On and on the variation of where the stories of salvation took place, the men used or who wrote them or where they were written would amaze you. But believe this, after I read everything I stopped and entered a state of meditation and distance. In other words sometimes something is so close to you (right in you nose) you need to distance yourself from it to allow yourself to see it from a far and understand it better. It’s a process which is well worth ones time and one I recommend you put yourself through. I don’t seldom meet simple Catholics like myself, what I mean is I don’t even have a confirmation and I don’t hold a position in church. I simply take time out to once in while explain to those who are willing to listen our Catholic church is really the one and only to possess the truth. But we need to read correctly for years in order to defend with Love what is true. Now I have to take my son (13 yrs old) to his game so I have to cut out. I hope this helps you out. Sometimes priest don’t have time to answer questions, I’m sure some time in the near future they will answer your question. God bless you.
 
I haven’t read the bible in quite some time but as I remember the gospels are represented as a Leon, Calf, Man & an Eagle. This I had to look up and was edited because instead of a Calf I had written bull.

Apocalypse 4:7

" And the first living creature was like a lion: and the second living creature like a calf: and the third living creature, having the face, as it were, of a man: and the fourth living creature was like an eagle flying".

So you have Matthew, Mark, Luke & John the four gospels which are the life of Jesus and the word which is alive. John also wrote the Apocalypse and before this book he writes 3 epistles or 3 of the 7 catholic letter to the world.

Off the top of my head I say the rest;

What is known as Pentecost is the night when Jesus arrives and finds the apostles hiding in fear of the Jews in a house with closed doors and windows. When he appears before them he greets them with “Peace be with you”, I believe it was the second time with Thomas present he showed this apostle what he needed to see in order for him to believe. He then breathed on them the consoler then gave them the divine knowledge to fully understand the divine plan of God and all writings. This is important because their knowledge was complete at this point and from their what ever needed to be written in the New Testament was what scribes wrote.

After the 4 gospels you will find the book of acts which demonstrates the apostles were successful in implementing what Jesus had prepared them to do. If you read the entire bible with the catechism at you side and several other aids like theological dictionaries plus assist to Sunday Mass for a good 3 to 4 years you’ll understand all 72 books are there and none are missing. When the priest preaches his homily you will feel like your understanding is an expressway of 8 lanes. It’s really an opening with no end and from there on your understanding has no speed limit.

The Catholic calendar is designed in memory of Jesus’s public life which lasted 3 1/2 yrs. There are 3 cycles A, B & C and they cover the entire Bible in 3 1/2 yrs. Of course, what is covered is what matters, what I mean is that the parts used are those which connect. Explaining better would require the words of St. Agustin who said " The new testament is hidden in the old testament and the old testament is revealed in the new testament". It’s what is referred to as typology.

I’m going to stop to make an important point; I believe it was when the Centurion or Roman Officer professes the words; “Only one word would suffice”. Strong faith would only require one word from the divinity of God. also Paul writes in Corinthians 13 something which means; you can know all that is written by God and if your heart lacks Love you wasted your life. Jesus parable of the seed of mustard is clear that the requirement of faith is small but if you employ that small seed of faith in your heart with great effort your understanding in divine terms will boost like a mustard tree.

Salvation of the soul which came from up above and is within us is seriously a matter of life or death. One must take time out and develop what is not seen in the mirror. If you closed your eyes in a dark room and someone asked you; are you there? you would say; of course. Your inner self is what god made in his likeness. If a man loss his arms and legs through amputation, one could say; he’s missing parts, but his soul is “Entirely complete and missing not one part”. This is the part I’m referring to must be developed in order to pass on to the future life promised to us by the Lord himself.

Your question although logical is really a matter of understanding only 4 Gospels were needed, the immediate vicinities received them in their particular language. After the book of Acts you’ll find Paul’s writings. Paul writes 13 epistles to gentile communities and teaches Christianity at great levels.

Then there’s Hebrews by Apollo (Apollo was not an apostle), 7 Catholic letters are written by Peter, John, Jude and the Apocalypse by John.

Apocalypse is the everything in one, and the writer is none the less than the beloved disciple whom Jesus directs to understand not only will he take his blessed mother Mary home but that Mary is now his mother and the mother of the new world in Christ. When you read the first 3 gospels you’ll find fire in your heart, but when you read John you will catapult in spiritually and just bear in mind one thing. John takes us to another dimension. Wonder why? If John whom only lived with Jesus 3 1/2 yrs was marveled by him imagine what privilege it would had been to take the mother of Jesus home. Who knew Jesus better than Mary? 30 years of what no one knows is now before John in the presence of the mother who never left the side of the son through all the 13 stations of agony 'till the cross and received the dead body of her only son in here arms. John’s writings can only be explained by the fact he had all meditations revealed accurately to him by the one who saw it all. He’s the only one who mentions her intercession at the wedding in Can and the only one to place her in heaven when he describes her in the Apocalypse after the sounding of the 7th trumpet. The ark of the alliance after the 7th trumpet in the liking of the 7 trumpet in Geri-co when Israel used the ark to defeat the enemy encountered. John reveals to us victory has been achieved. God bless you, I hope I helped a little.
 
2nd comment;

I would like to emphasis that in the new testament Hebrew was written by Apollo whom was not an Apostle. Paul refers to Apollo as a Jew who never met Jesus but preached with astounding accuracy about the life of Jesus and God’s plan of salvation.

In the old testament some books are not written while in Israel but part of them were written while deported to Babylonia which places the 15 or so prophets which speak of the coming of the messiah. Isaiah, one of the 15 books written while deported from Israel and 700 yrs before Christ describes with gruesome accuracy the passion of Christ.

Job is a story of a man of faith who is not a Jew but a gentile. Jonah professes in Ninive Iran to men who weren’t Jew’s to repent.

Elias leaves Israel to live with a window outside of Israel for 3 years before returning to end a dry season in Israel.

Proverbs first half or so is written by Solomon but the latter end is finished by someone else, Psalms written by King David are also finished by someone else. On and on the variation of where the stories of salvation took place, the men used or who wrote them or where they were written would amaze you.

After I read everything I stopped and entered a state of meditation and distance. In other words sometimes something is so close to you (right in your nose) you need to distance yourself from it to allow yourself to see it from a far and understand it better. It’s a process which is well worth ones tme and one I recommend you put yourself through it

I don’t seldom meet simple Catholics like myself, what I mean is I don’t even have a confirmation and I don’t hold a position in church. I simply take time out to once in while explain to those who are willing to listen our Catholic church is really the one and only to possess the truth. But we need to read correctly for years in order to defend with Love what is true.

I hope this helps you out. Priest are often so busy, I’m sure some time in the near future they will answer your question. God bless you.
 
Timothy H,

Paul does prove apostolic succession. There is something though I have meditated about. In the book of Acts we find Mathias replaced Jude, and that decision was made by vote by the apostles. Now, if I was to analyse Paul using typology I find in the old testament a similar event.

Israel replaced their Judges (their maximum authorities) and ask the prophet Samuel to ask God for a King to rule over Israel in the liking of other nations. God told Samuel it was not a rejection against him as a prophet but a rejection against his divinity as their God. And it was done, they chose Saul as there King using their human judgement.

Saul was replaced by God himself to put in place whom he knew would accurately represent a King in his liking and that was David. So in order for this happen in the liking of God a second selection took place.

In the case of Mathias it was the apostles who chose him but in the case of Paul it was Jesus himself who appeared before him. He spoke to him, questioned him about his persecution of his church and converted him. Paul was selected by the Lord himself just like he had selected the other 12 in the beginning.

I have often thought of this because using as reference the story of Saul and David I see that a second selection took place and it was God himself who again chose in his liking.

Of course, nothing is written to suggest Mathias did anything wrong and the authority of the church was to choose successors. But, nothing is written about Mathias works as an apostle.

Speaking of apostolic succession it is Paul himself who writes about Apollo, writes directly to Timothy and Tito. This lead offered by Paul demonstrates true apostolic successions. The name of Policarpo comes to my mind also.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top