The Papacy in Peter's Epistles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jmd96
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jmd96

Guest
I am well aware of the copious amount of evidence for Saint Peter as the first pope in the Gospels, but I was curious if anyone knew of any spots in Peter’s epistles that suggest his primacy/role as pope?

God bless,
 
No, sorry. I’m too lazy to look it up right now too. 😃

But Matt. 16:18 is a good start. You probably know about that already though.
 
I don’t have anything from Peter’s epistles at hand, but note that the first twelve chapters of Act focus on Peter as the leader in organizing the infant Church.
 
I don’t think Peter speaks of his primacy directly in the epistles. But he does speak of obedience often, including in the second verse of 1 Peter.

***Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the chosen sojourners of the dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, in the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification by the Spirit, for obedience *and sprinkling with the blood of Jesus Christ: may grace and peace be yours in abundance (1 Peter 1:1-2)

***Since you have purified yourselves by obedience to the truth *for sincere mutual love, love one another intensely from a [pure] heart. (1 Peter 1:22)

I like that one… obedience to the truth. 👍 I’d like to hear an Evangelical pastor preach on that verse.

Peter speaks of the rock or stone in the second chapter and exhorts his readers to obey institutions and civil authorities which possess legitimate authority. It is easy to see how he also infers that his readers should obey the legitimate authority of the Church but I might be reaching a bit there. It is interesting however, to read the beginning of 1 Peter 5 which goes into the structure of authority in Church hierarcy and how prespyters and younger men are to conduct themselves in light of that hierarchy.

And Peter’s second letter, which some atribute to a proteje as late as the year 120 has this amazing passage which all Catholics are familiar with:

Moreover, we possess the prophetic message that is altogether reliable. You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God. (2 Peter 1:19-21)

But I just read all of 1 and 2 Peter and didn’t see anything overt.

-Tim-
 
I don’t think Peter speaks of his primacy directly in the epistles. But he does speak of obedience often, including in the second verse of 1 Peter.

***Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the chosen sojourners of the dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, in the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification by the Spirit, for obedience ***and sprinkling with the blood of Jesus Christ: may grace and peace be yours in abundance (1 Peter 1:1-2)

***Since you have purified yourselves by obedience to the truth ***for sincere mutual love, love one another intensely from a [pure] heart. (1 Peter 1:22)

I like that one… obedience to the truth. 👍 I’d like to hear an Evangelical pastor preach on that verse.

Peter speaks of the rock or stone in the second chapter and exhorts his readers to obey institutions and civil authorities which possess legitimate authority. It is easy to see how he also infers that his readers should obey the legitimate authority of the Church but I might be reaching a bit there. It is interesting however, to read the beginning of 1 Peter 5 which goes into the structure of authority in Church hierarcy and how prespyters and younger men are to conduct themselves in light of that hierarchy.

And Peter’s second letter, which some atribute to a proteje as late as the year 120 has this amazing passage which all Catholics are familiar with:

Moreover, we possess the prophetic message that is altogether reliable. You will do well to be attentive to it, as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God. (2 Peter 1:19-21)

But I just read all of 1 and 2 Peter and didn’t see anything overt.

-Tim-
I wouldn’t put much stock in the theory that Peter didn’t write 2 Pet. It’s based on the idea that the quality of the Greek in 2 Pet is much worse than in 1 Pet. The reason is write in front of their eyes:

1 Pet 5:12 I write these few words to you through Silvanus, who is a trustworthy brother, to encourage you and attest that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it!

Peter dictated 1 Pet to Silvanus who cleaned up his Greek. Peter wrote 2 Pet without any help. Peter was a Galilean fisherman. His Greek is not going to be scholarly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top