The Passion: Jesus' feeling of abandonment

  • Thread starter Thread starter irishcolleen45
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irishcolleen45

Guest
When did Jesus feel most abandoned during His Passion?

I thought it was while He was on the cross when He said “why are you forsaking me”. But now I recently found out He was saying Psalm 22.
 
I have imagined that it was during His agony in the garden, when the Apostles fell asleep, instead of watching for the betrayer as He had asked three times. However, He was abandoned during His entire passion, as all abandoned Him and no one came forth to defend him at any point.
 
I always feel its when the Jews said, “We have no king but Caesar”.
 
I have imagined that it was during His agony in the garden, when the Apostles fell asleep, instead of watching for the betrayer as He had asked three times. However, He was abandoned during His entire passion, as all abandoned Him and no one came forth to defend him at any point.
I was at confession this evening and before I left the confessional, I asked the priest my question. He did say what you said but also included the time on the cross when He did say “why have you abandoned me”. Jesus looked down from the cross and could only see His mother and John there with Him.

Good point about that no one came forth to defend Him at any point.
 
I was at confession this evening and before I left the confessional, I asked the priest my question. He did say what you said but also included the time on the cross when He did say “why have you abandoned me”. Jesus looked down from the cross and could only see His mother and John there with Him.

Good point about that no one came forth to defend Him at any point.
In that case, I must say that your priest is absolutely brilliant! I think that the sense of loneliness, or of isolation, was not begun, but perhaps increased as recorded in John 6, when the multitude left Him over His hard saying about His Flesh and Blood. At that point, only the twelve were left, and He knew that they would also flee from Him.
 
I think at some level, Jesus cry from the cross was a victory cry. Some say that Jesus was seperated from God during the passion, hence his cry “Why have you abandoned me”, but Jesus is God, and so he could not have been abandoned by God.

This was my strict position in opposition to anyone who suggested that Jesus was abandoned or even felt abandoned. I changed my mind one Good Friday and see that Jesus was not only fully God, and fully united to God, but fully human as well. God willingly took on the limitations of being human, yet he was able to bypass those limitations when he chose to do so. He walked on water yet fell under the weight of the cross three times.

I still don’t think Jesus was abandoned by God, simply because he is God. Yet the feeling of abandonment as he paid the price for the sins of mankind must have been tremendous in light of his humanity.

-Tim-
 
Protestants are much more forward about the idea of Jesus’ substitutionary atonement for our sins.

SA is probably a misnomer, to begin with, because none of us can atone for our sins. If we could, we wouldn’t need Jesus.

Jesus was always teaching and I think He teaches us about the pain and isolation of the wrath of God. He shows us what it is like. That is how we will feel if we end up in hell.

When Jews pray, they often are ceremonially shaking, which is evident in their body movements. They do this in acknowledgment of some verse of OT scripture. But, that shaking is, I think, what I should be doing, not just ceremonially, but for real, if I ignore the salvation that God offers me in Jesus Christ.

I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell. Jesus shows us what that dread looks like, in human terms.

I’ve been on a different intellectual kick lately,if anybody’s noticed. I think God suffers on account of our sins. Jesus suffered, and this idea is beyond debate. We can read about it in scripture. The utter uniting of our sufferings in life with Jesus is, I think, the ultimate profession of our faith and the greatest motivation for our repentance. But, hey, this is just take on it.
 
I think at some level, Jesus cry from the cross was a victory cry. Some say that Jesus was separated from God during the passion, hence his cry “Why have you abandoned me”, but Jesus is God, and so he could not have been abandoned by God.

This was my strict position in opposition to anyone who suggested that Jesus was abandoned or even felt abandoned. I changed my mind one Good Friday and see that Jesus was not only fully God, and fully united to God, but fully human as well. God willingly took on the limitations of being human, yet he was able to bypass those limitations when he chose to do so. He walked on water yet fell under the weight of the cross three times.

I still don’t think Jesus was abandoned by God, simply because he is God. Yet the feeling of abandonment as he paid the price for the sins of mankind must have been tremendous in light of his humanity.

-Tim-
**I still don’t think Jesus was abandoned by God, simply because he is God. Yet the feeling of abandonment as he paid the price for the sins of mankind must have been tremendous in light of his humanity. **

I have absolutely No Doubt Jesus in His sufferings was NOT abandoned by His Heavenly Father in the Mystery of the Holy Trinity.

There will never be any human being who is capable of fully understanding the full weight of Mans Sins bearing down heavily upon Jesus on the Cross.
Aside from God Almighty only His cherished beloved Mother Mary who’s own Immaculate Heart was pierced with a sword knew the weight of Sin her Son Jesus was carrying.

The only Saint that captures the essence of Jesus utterance (“Why hast Thou Forsaken Me”) is Saint John of the Cross in his writings (“The Dark Night of the Soul”) Verily in essence Jesus own spiritual life was traveling through the Dark Night until the moment He made His last breath on the Cross.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top