The pleasures of this world

  • Thread starter Thread starter Charles041
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles041

Guest
So I’ve come back to the church and at first it was so invigorating living the life God intended for me. Debating athiest’s, learning about our rich history, reading catholic literature, and being sober from medical marijuana.

But it’s been a few months now and my life feels lack luster. I haven’t anything to look forward too accept the next life. As I try to eliminate all sin from my life it feels as though I’m squeezing a balloon now. I can eliminate drugs, and contraceptives, but the I get angry and pride full. When I focus on the anger and pride I turn back to drugs or contraceptives.

I can’t drink wine because I have IBS and the said drugs is referring to one puff of marijuana smoke.

The contraceptives is always an option because my wife is Protestant and doesn’t care either way.

I can’t partake in the pleasure of unhealthy food because I have IBS.

I suppose Jesus said we must deny every pleasure of this world, but I can’t lie it would be nice to read about people with similar struggles.
 
So I’ve come back to the church and at first it was so invigorating living the life God intended for me. Debating athiest’s, learning about our rich history, reading catholic literature, and being sober from medical marijuana.

But it’s been a few months now and my life feels lack luster. I haven’t anything to look forward too accept the next life. As I try to eliminate all sin from my life it feels as though I’m squeezing a balloon now. I can eliminate drugs, and contraceptives, but the I get angry and pride full. When I focus on the anger and pride I turn back to drugs or contraceptives.

I can’t drink wine because I have IBS and the said drugs is referring to one puff of marijuana smoke.

The contraceptives is always an option because my wife is Protestant and doesn’t care either way.

I can’t partake in the pleasure of unhealthy food because I have IBS.

I suppose Jesus said we must deny every pleasure of this world, but I can’t lie it would be nice to read about people with similar struggles.
It is very difficult to resist the pleasures of the world.
I don’t struggle with drugs or contraceptives, but getting over pride and anger is hard.
I go between hating myself and being prideful. Anger is pretty hard too because I am not a people person and I am too sensitive. Although working on humility and meekness has made me feel better and given me some peace.
 
believe me, brother, the sex and other hedonistic sins are easy to conquer once you get the hang of their corresponding virtues. But pride and anger, good golly Holly, they will badger you for years. I still haven’t gotten over them. Prayers headed your way.
 
Well, try something revolutionary different, take the love of your life,
And go to the movies, grab a bite to eat,hold hands in the sunshine,
Enjoy the little pleasures of life , most are not expensive,
Drive to a nearby town that you never visit and explore the shops,
 
Pray a lot from the heart – and pray to be able to pray in a way spiritually pleasing to God. Spend some time reading about the virtues of the saints and truly appreciating their beauty, so that, when you are able to practice spiritual virtues you appreciate their gift from God, and have some good memories.

That way you will begin to build a new foundation different than the old one. You’re sweeping away the old debris and clearing the site… time to build new, stone by stone…

The difference between supernatural virtue and natural virtue – read about this. It’s time to live a supernatural life, so that natural one doesn’t fill in all the space.
 
So I’ve come back to the church and at first it was so invigorating living the life God intended for me. Debating athiest’s, learning about our rich history, reading catholic literature, and being sober from medical marijuana.

But it’s been a few months now and my life feels lack luster. I haven’t anything to look forward too accept the next life. As I try to eliminate all sin from my life it feels as though I’m squeezing a balloon now. I can eliminate drugs, and contraceptives, but the I get angry and pride full. When I focus on the anger and pride I turn back to drugs or contraceptives.

I can’t drink wine because I have IBS and the said drugs is referring to one puff of marijuana smoke.

The contraceptives is always an option because my wife is Protestant and doesn’t care either way.

I can’t partake in the pleasure of unhealthy food because I have IBS.

I suppose Jesus said we must deny every pleasure of this world, but I can’t lie it would be nice to read about people with similar struggles.
Ask our Blessed Mother to intercede for you for an increase in faith, hope, and love.

We all have struggles in different ways, sometimes similar ways. Time is a gift to us to draw closer to our Lord Jesus Christ. Daily prayer, whether we feel like praying or not, gives us deeper insights and strength.

May His holy will be done in all of us!
 
There are “ordered pleasures” that is pleasures that are attached to doing good things. They are happen together with the good that is carried out (ordered marital relations, order use of food, ordered recreation etc)

And there are 'disordered pleasures" - that are sinful and are to be avoided.
 
So I’ve come back to the church and at first it was so invigorating living the life God intended for me. Debating athiest’s, learning about our rich history, reading catholic literature, and being sober from medical marijuana.

But it’s been a few months now and my life feels lack luster. I haven’t anything to look forward too accept the next life. As I try to eliminate all sin from my life it feels as though I’m squeezing a balloon now. I can eliminate drugs, and contraceptives, but the I get angry and pride full. When I focus on the anger and pride I turn back to drugs or contraceptives.

I can’t drink wine because I have IBS and the said drugs is referring to one puff of marijuana smoke.

The contraceptives is always an option because my wife is Protestant and doesn’t care either way.

I can’t partake in the pleasure of unhealthy food because I have IBS.

I suppose Jesus said we must deny every pleasure of this world, but I can’t lie it would be nice to read about people with similar struggles.
Charles, I too am in a similar situation. Over the past few years, I have made the conscious effort to be a better Christian. To learn about my faith, to be more obedient to God, to do His will, to eliminate sin in my life.

And by doing that, especially eliminating the sin, leaves a void, a hole. I used to do all of these sinful things and now there is nothing there to replace them. Being on a spiritual journey is different for everyone, but I empathize with you b/c I think we are going through similar issues. While my sins are not yours, and I don’t have IBS, the concept is the same. Learning to know that happiness is seeking God and pleasing God is difficult, when the “happiness” aka (Pleasure) we used to know was so ingrained in us for so long. It takes time to replace that, to learn what God wants for us is the truth, and that truth is happiness in Him. It certainly doesn’t come easy. I struggle with it. I often feel devoid of life. But I am making progress. I am becoming more active in the church and volunteer more. I’ve found a wonder Christian charity (top-rated in the 1% of all charities) that I volunteer for, and another that I give money to. Knowing that I am doing God’s work by providing to those who aren’t as blessed as me helps me find that happiness I once sought out through sin.

I hope that helps. Pray on it and don’t give up and go back into old habits. I know it’s difficult, but if you fall, ask for forgiveness, get back up and pray some more.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top