The power of holy water

  • Thread starter Thread starter JaredR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I began the habit of having holy water in a little font as soon as someone comes in the door. All my friends know to use it now, and I have learned to focus on the Trinity instead of just hurriedly making the sign.

I believe all parishes have a place convenient for parishioners to fill up their holy water bottles.
 
I believe I read a statement here on this forum to the effect that the souls in Purgatory would gladly die a thousand deaths for just one precious drop of Holy Water.

The consequences of our actions, both good and bad, will be immense in the next life. I make liberal use of Holy Water, and also offer it up for others.

This book opened my eyes a bit, including the immense gift it is to sprinkle Holy Water on people’s graves.

amazon.com/Get-Us-Out-Here-ebook/dp/B0080SFFFE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427931703&sr=8-1&keywords=book+get+us+out+of+here%21

I have been known to sprinkle Holy Water on the graves of total strangers, and ask for their prayers.
 
What a beautiful gesture. That reminds me to think of the poor souls when I make the sign of the cross entering and exiting the church.
 
We have an open font. I also offer handfulls of Holy Water at the font for various intentions, including the souls in Purgatory. Read that book, ‘Get Us Out of Here’, if you have not already. Praying for the Souls there, and offering Holy Water, Masses, etc. is greatly appreciated, and I am quite sure they will return the favor.
 
Hi Tridentine,

Yes, I do that. If I’m getting low and can’t make it to the church, I’ll mix whatever is remaining with some fresh water.

Better yet, I have a large container of blessed and exorcised (by a priest) salt, that I can dissolve in water, and that makes holy water.
Thank you Nimbus123.
 
Lourdes water from the river at Lourdes is not a sacramental. Because to be a sacramental it must have the blessing of the church upon it which it can have only if a person in sacred orders blesses it.

Now it could be that a person who has Lourdes plain river water may have it blessed by a priest, deacon, and then it does become a sacramental.

When the first miracle that happened at Lourdes by use of the water, that water was not blessed before the miracle took place. So the water of Lourdes has miraculous power of its own when God so wishes.
Thanks for the explanation Fred Conty. I understand the difference now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top