C
CollegeKid
Guest
As I mentioned in my last thread, I’m reading Archbishop Fulton Sheen’s The Priest is Not His Own. Good book so far. Honestly though, I’ve gotten to a part that scares me a bit, and at the surface seems like it may contradict other things I’ve read by solidly-orthodox Catholic authors. In a section called The Loss of Our Ego, Sheen explains that the priest must surrender his personality to Christ, make Christ the source of all his thoughts, feelings, emotions, desires, and so on, totally submerge his personality into the personality of Christ, etc. Now I admit that at first it might seem as though I’ve simply come to a deeper and even frightening realization of what it means to give one’s life to Christ, as we all must do. That being said, here’s my question:
(b) One of the things I’ve always liked about the Saints is their individuality, the fact that they are individuals who mirrored Christ in their lives and yet you can still look at the whole of them and say, “wow, what a unique group of people.” The fact that they had their own varying strengths, weaknesses and quirks, etc. For better or worse, one thing I’ve been told by priests and read in books is that God wants me to become the best version of myself, albeit this is done by striving to be “another Christ,” to mirror His virtues, giving Him my life.
- From Sheen’s description I wonder a bit if he is talking about completely losing our individuality, forgetting that we are ourselves and thinking that we are Jesus Christ. This possibility bothers me because
(b) One of the things I’ve always liked about the Saints is their individuality, the fact that they are individuals who mirrored Christ in their lives and yet you can still look at the whole of them and say, “wow, what a unique group of people.” The fact that they had their own varying strengths, weaknesses and quirks, etc. For better or worse, one thing I’ve been told by priests and read in books is that God wants me to become the best version of myself, albeit this is done by striving to be “another Christ,” to mirror His virtues, giving Him my life.
- Is this total surrendering of the self’s personality to Christ’s personality only for priests, or is it also for the laity though in a more remote capacity?