E
estesbob
Guest
The Church. Why do you ask?Who gets to interpret the Catechism?
The Church. Why do you ask?Who gets to interpret the Catechism?
How do we know what the Church’s interpretation is?The Church. Why do you ask?
Yes they are. Catholics engage in private interpretations within the limits set up by Christ’s authoritative Church.Okay, but the are still interpreting scripture on their own, are they not and if they are, aren’t they engaging in private interpretation?
A Catholic may do so as long as such an interpretation does not contradict Church teaching.Okay, but the are still interpreting scripture on their own, are they not and if they are, aren’t they engaging in private interpretation?
Our realtionship with God is not dependent on individual parsing of individual verses of Scipture. The Church Christ founded has answred the questions for us.Interesting, in debates I have heard Sungenis, Pacwa, and Madrid all admit that the church has only interpreted a few verses. None of them mentioned the catechsim.
The Church hasnt ruled because it doesnt matter in the least. the how is totally irelevant , the WHO is all that matters. only those who have shackeld themsleved with Sola scripture are concerend about such things.Regardless, what do you do where there is wiggle room in a church teaching? For example, your church has not ruled one way or the other on the whether the creation story is using allegory, or whether the creation story is describing six, literal 24 hour days.
Personal opinion which has no more impact than their pesonal opnion on who will win next years world series.If you or another Catholic takes one side or the other, they aren’t putting themselves in opposition to any church teaching. So, what are they relying on in this case?
Do you think that be repeating this assertion over and over that it will become true?More importantly, how have they arrived at the conclusion that RCC is THE true church?
It is by fallible private interpretation that they believe in the infallibility of the RCC.
That realization is the OP’s lament.
Neither.I venture you won’t get an answer that doesn’t either attack sola scriptura or bring up the canon.
How do we know how to interpret “faith” and “morals”? And, if the definitions of faith and morals are given by the Roman Church, how do we know the Roman Church got it right?Do you think that be repeating this assertion over and over that it will become true?
It is not by private interpretation - that I come to all on my own sitting with a bible open in front of me.
The Church publicly proclaims its infallibility. There is nothing private about it.
**891 **“The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals. . . . The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in the body of bishops when, together with Peter’s successor, they exercise the supreme Magisterium,” above all in an Ecumenical Council. When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine “for belief as being divinely revealed,” and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions “must be adhered to with the obedience of faith.” This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of divine Revelation itself.
Nice try, though.
This is an out of context quote, which ignores that truth actually matters.Yes, Scylla, they do.![]()
Becuase Christ would not allow HIS Church to teach error.How do we know how to interpret “faith” and “morals”? And, if the definitions of faith and morals are given by the Roman Church, how do we know the Roman Church got it right?
?
But only as it pertains to faith and morals. After all, the Church could teach scientific error (etc.). If you don’t think it can, how do you defend your interpretation of “faith and morals” over mine?Becuase Christ would not allow HIS Church to teach error.
Balderdash.I doubt you are a loss at to what I mean.
Do you agree or disagree that your church has only “officially” or “infallibly” interpreted a few scriptures?
I dont have a personal interperation of faith and morals. i depend on the Church Christ founded.But only as it pertains to faith and morals. After all, the Church could teach scientific error (etc.). If you don’t think it can, how do you defend your interpretation of “faith and morals” over mine?
I may interpret “faith and morals” to apply only to statements of the Magisterium that can find direct and explicit support in the Scriptures as I interpret them. Who is to say that this interpretation is wrong? And how would we know what the Magisterium is even saying unless we interpret them ourselves?
There is an enormous difference between speculation about creation and the continued argumentation over infant baptism and justification that continues between Protestant faith communities.Okay, but when engaging in debate about various topice such as predestination, creation, etc. what do Catholics do when there is no offical church teaching?
Do they not engage in private interpretation?
The Church decides. It is kinda like claiming you accept 2+2=4 based on private interpretation. You accept it because it is true not because you decided it is true. It is true whether you accept it or not.I may interpret “faith and morals” to apply only to statements of the Magisterium that can find direct and explicit support in the Scriptures as I interpret them. Who is to say that this interpretation is wrong? And how would we know what the Magisterium is even saying unless we interpret them ourselves?
That’s not what I’m arguing. I accept that 2+2=4 based on how I interpret the symbols. There is no infallible authority telling me that 2+2=4. There is only my interpretation of the symbols, and my application of that interpretation. Insofar as it agrees with the interpretation of most people around me, I can use it as they do.The Church decides. It is kinda like claiming you accept 2+2=4 based on private interpretation. You accept it because it is true not because you decided it is true. It is true whether you accept it or not.
Perhaps you have forgotten that Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to lead the Church into ALL truth.How do we know how to interpret “faith” and “morals”? And, if the definitions of faith and morals are given by the Roman Church, how do we know the Roman Church got it right?
The only way we could be certain is if the definition of faith and morals pertained to faith and morals, but how can we be sure that it does without a definition that is protected from error?
How do you know that that Church teaches?I dont have a personal interperation of faith and morals. i depend on the Church Christ founded.
But how are we supposed to understand these words? Who interprets for us? And how are we to understand their words?Perhaps you have forgotten that Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to lead the Church into ALL truth.
Did that promise have an expiration date? I seem to recall something about “I am with you ALWAYS”…
If I am understanding your argument it would seem to be almost an existential neurosis? I mean you do accept there is an objective reality? If you see a woman in a red dress is she really in a red dress or do you simply conclude it is red because that is your opinion?That’s not what I’m arguing. I accept that 2+2=4 based on how I interpret the symbols. There is no infallible authority telling me that 2+2=4. There is only my interpretation of the symbols, and my application of that interpretation. Insofar as it agrees with the interpretation of most people around me, I can use it as they do.