S
sw85
Guest
From a Catholic blogger and worthy read (h**ttp://bonald.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/theodicy/); submitted for your thoughts and discussion:
“If I were God, I would do things just so; things are not just so; therefore, there is no God. Get it? Because if God existed, He’d be just like me. Because I’m so great.”
Sure ya are, slick.
Question: Why does God allow evil?
Easy: I don’t know. Next question?
Really, I’m kind of surprised that people regard this as a serious challenge to faith. Besides the monstrous impiety of presuming to judge God, just imagine what it would take to have a serious intellectual problem. God has no obligations to creation; it’s shear gratuity that He decides to keep us in existence from one moment to the next. Given that He doesn’t have to create anything, if He does create something, it’s hard to complain that what He made isn’t good enough. But suppose we demand that God have some reason for the perfections He has withheld from granting to His creation, even though this is the height of ingratitude. What would I have to know to say that God’s doing or not doing such-and-such doesn’t make sense? I would have to know why He created the world, what His overall plan for creation is, which of course I don’t. I would have to know what effect such-and-such will have not only on the entire future history of mankind, but on all peoples’ immortal souls, on the choirs of angels and the legions of demons, and perhaps on planes of existence of which I cannot even imagine. It’s absurd to imagine I would ever know enough to criticize God.
This post neatly captures some of my own thoughts re: the “problem of evil,” which I’ve always felt was an exercise in monstrous hubris.The point of the “why,oh why,is there evil?” is moral posturing. The person who says it is trying to show that he is more morally sensitive than theists. “Why,oh why,is there sin?” means he is more outraged by sin than theists, and hence more righteous. “Why,oh why,is there suffering?” means he is more outraged by suffering than theists, and hence more compassionate. It’s easy, it seems, to be more compassionate than all the saints. One might think that, if anyone had a right to pull the more-compassionate-than-thou act, it would be people like Vincent de Paul, Las Casas, or Mother Theresa, but they must not have been as compassionate as all of these rich college students who are so scandalized by the suffering of innocents that they decide to sleep in on Sundays.
“If I were God, I would do things just so; things are not just so; therefore, there is no God. Get it? Because if God existed, He’d be just like me. Because I’m so great.”
Sure ya are, slick.