Freddy:
In the normal scenario all the people are strangers. If you have a close connection with any of them (especially familal connections) then genetic rules apply. Close family over distant family. Distant family over strangers.
So, is the consequentialist’s guiding principle, “Throw the switch unless it’s mum on the track or any other relative closer than, say, second cousin once removed”? You see the difficulty, don’t you? If the principle is
rational then it hold even against strong
emotions. According to your reply, at the point one no longer
feels for the one on the track then one may throw the switch.
So you would do something that you thought…wasn’t the best?
I would follow the rational principles of Catholic morality because I
think that is best rather than what I
felt was best. The point is that situational ethics has no principles to guide one’s actions. Roundly condemned by Pius XII just for that reason, no serious moralist would name their new system situational ethics. So we see the same system now but labelled with different names: consequentailism and proportionalism.