Barnesy:
So you told the other guy that his arguments werent his but were from other people but you used what jesus said. And i thought great! I can use them as well! But now you said that people knew what he said before because other people had said it already so it wasnt jesus idea. So were you using jesus arguments or other peoples that came before him???
Ahh! Now I get it! (I wasn’t putting two and two together there!)
So, Christians would say that God inspired the Bible. So, in a sense, the ideas about theology that come from the Bible are from God. Moreover, we’d say that God protects the Church from teaching error in its doctrine. So again: from God, right?
Now, the arguments macska has been presenting here aren’t his – he read them off a website, or in a book, and even then, those probably aren’t the ideas of the person who designed the site or wrote the book. Ideas that agnostics and atheists and rationalists and materialists use… well, they come from a person, who then passes them on to another person, who passes them… and so on and so on.
That’s really what I was getting at.
But, in terms of “ideas that Jesus came up with”, I would think that His message of radical love of God and neighbor was an original one. The notion that God had sent Jesus with the mission to redeem the world through His Incarnate Son is unique, as well. Forgiving “seventy times seventy times” – above the requirements of the law – is a distinct one. There are many. Is there any one in particular that you’d like to discuss?