• Thread starter Thread starter Maccabees
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maccabees

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4369363.stm

Are people this stupid?

People who shug off this book as mere fiction as missing the point many people beleive everything they read and think the Davinici Code is historically accurate. They are having religious pilgrames of sorts to the Vatican and Paris to worship the Sacred Feminine and conspriacy theory of Dan Brown. THese people are buying this thing hook line and sinker. PT Barnum was right then and now.

Of course there are many inaccuracies in the book but it is fiction. I don’t think that means it shouldn’t be published. Going down that road would become a very slippery slope indeed.

It’s very easy for people to figure out the Truth if they want to.

Maccabees said:
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4369363.stm

Are people this stupid?

People who shug off this book as mere fiction as missing the point many people beleive everything they read and think the Davinici Code is historically accurate. They are having religious pilgrames of sorts to the Vatican and Paris to worship the Sacred Feminine and conspriacy theory of Dan Brown. THese people are buying this thing hook line and sinker. PT Barnum was right then and now.

There are also lots of people who dress up as Captain Kirk or Spock, call themselves Trecky’s and believe we are about to be invaded by the Klingon Empire. I don’t take any notice of them either.

As the article quotes:
*“I think it would take a pretty dense tourist not to realise that there is something much grander going on in Bernini’s work than a silly conspiracy theory described in a paperback thriller.” *
Seems to sum up the whole ridiculous nonsense really.

The fanboys of this book are playing three-card monte with the truth and they need to be called on it. They will give/recommend the book to unknowledgeable people and either say or imply that it is true. When someone with knowledge goes after them and points out the book’s baloney, they jump down their convenient escape hatch: “It’s just fiction! Why are you being so sensitive?” :rolleyes:

Scott

I liked the book, not for what it claims to be fact, but because it was a pretty good mystery. That being said, whenever someone starts using “DaVinci code” rhetoric to try and convince of the church’s evil ways…I defend it. It’s alright to enjoy a book, but to believe everything a book tells you, is to be a fool.

I do thnk at times we can be a little sensitive about our religion. The book is not factual. We know that. But hy do we fear that our beliefs and faith are so tenuous, that any good fiction book that embellishes on the truth, risks bringing our Church down?

The Church will be here until the end of time. It is strong. I feel no stronger feelings toward this book then I do if someone wrote a book saying the US will be destroyed in a holocaust, or a huge meteor will destroy the earth, etc. Any of them if taken seriously by a large number of people will cause great problems (and there are more subtle examples than mine, just trying to make a point), but they are all fiction and some people will believe them.

I don’t like it. As stated above, people want to discuss the conspiracy until they find out your a faithful Catholic then they fall back on “it’s fiction”. My wifes Aunt does that. Last time it came up she said “It really opens your mind”. I

40.png
sarcophagus:
I liked the book, not for what it claims to be fact, but because it was a pretty good mystery. That being said, whenever someone starts using “DaVinci code” rhetoric to try and convince of the church’s evil ways…I defend it. It’s alright to enjoy a book, but to believe everything a book tells you, is to be a fool.
yes people who believe everything they read are fools. i cant think of any book ever written that has all the answers. can you?

40.png
bjorn:
yes people who believe everything they read are fools. i cant think of any book ever written that has all the answers. can you?
Maybe just one…

40.png
tcay584:
Maybe just one…
Not alone it doesn’t, which is why we need Tradition and the Magesterium as well (I assume you meant the Bible of course).

40.png
Genesis315:
Not alone it doesn’t, which is why we need Tradition and the Magesterium as well (I assume you meant the Bible of course).
I stand corrected and in agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back