W
WJL
Guest
1 Corinthians 10:1-4 says:
“For I want you to know, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.”
I’m confused about this verse… is it saying that one of the two rocks which Moses struck with the rod to bring water to the thirsty Israelites literally followed the them in the wilderness? Or is it saying that it was Christ (typified by the rock) that followed them?
I’ve looked at a few commentaries about this. A couple said that, based on Jewish traditions, the actual rock did literally follow them; a couple said that it was only the water which flowed from the rock that followed them, and yet, others said that “rock” typifies Christ who followed/accompanied them. I’ll post some quotes from these commentaries below.
Could anyone please clarify this issue for me?
Thanks.
“For I want you to know, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea, and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, and all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank from the spiritual Rock that followed them, and the Rock was Christ.”
I’m confused about this verse… is it saying that one of the two rocks which Moses struck with the rod to bring water to the thirsty Israelites literally followed the them in the wilderness? Or is it saying that it was Christ (typified by the rock) that followed them?
I’ve looked at a few commentaries about this. A couple said that, based on Jewish traditions, the actual rock did literally follow them; a couple said that it was only the water which flowed from the rock that followed them, and yet, others said that “rock” typifies Christ who followed/accompanied them. I’ll post some quotes from these commentaries below.
Could anyone please clarify this issue for me?
Thanks.