N
NotWorthy
Guest
Yes, Peter denied the Lord three times, and the Lord knew he would all along.After reading the many replies to the meaning of this passage, I find that one of the most important ideas in this passage has been omitted. Seems everyone is dancing AROUND THE ISSUE OF THIRD PERSON, SECOND PERSON, etc. and missing the most important point that Christ said to Peter after his statement “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God.”
And Christ said “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church…” on this statement ( this rock) “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” I will build my church— not some man*, but on the statement that flesh and blood had not revealed to him, but the Father who is in heaven.
Could it be any simpler than that?
*some man - Note: Wasn’t it Peter who denied the Lord three times before the cock crowed after he was crucified?
What are Christ’s words to Peter in Luke, “Simon, Simon, Satan is determined to sift you (all of you) like wheat, but when you (singular - “You, Simon”) turn back, you must strengthen your brothers”. (Paraphrasing).
Christ knew that Simon would bend like wheat. But Christ knew that, afterwards, Simon would become the very Rock that was his namesake. Look at Simon in Acts and compare him to the Simon in Gospels. He became the Rock that Christ would build His Church on.
Your statement simply doesn’t make sense. “You (Simon) are Rock, and upon this Rock (the Statement of Simon’s that nobody has declared is a Rock?) I will build my Church”.
I’m sorry, but that dog doesn’t hunt.