the rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter George_M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George_M

I was talking to a non Catholic today and I told her I said the rosary everyday. She said that I should be just praying to God and why go through Mary. I said I’m not praying to Mary I’m asking her to pray for me. Then she came up with, Why ask a dead person to pray for you as the only one in heaven is God. For the first time in a lot of years I was lost for words. I did say you can pray for the dead but that’s not in their bible.
Also I've been reading the NRSV bible but I don't know if it is approved by the church or does it matter as long as I get what I need out of it.Thanks and God bless George

Read this: Bible Translations Guide .

Basically, which Bible you use is not that big a deal as long as you are aware of the strengths and weaknessess of it. Remember Catholics don’t go for the inherently incoherent doctrine of Sola Scriptura. 😃

As far as praying for a dead person, who says Mary is dead? She is alive in Christ.

Scott

And who would be better to help pray for us than:

A. The Mother of God
B. A Person who stands in his glory every day.

George M:
I was talking to a non Catholic today and I told her I said the rosary everyday. She said that I should be just praying to God and why go through Mary. I said I’m not praying to Mary I’m asking her to pray for me. Then she came up with, Why ask a dead person to pray for you as the only one in heaven is God. For the first time in a lot of years I was lost for words. I did say you can pray for the dead but that’s not in their bible.
It doesn’t sound to me like you handled the situation poorly. We all have times when we get caught without a quick reply to a question or comment (that’s why a lot of us come to places like this improve our ability to communicate our faith).

As far as asking a dead person to pray for you I think the previous poster’s point that Mary is not, in fact, dead is a good place to start. Also remember that we believe in the communion of saints and that those who have died in the Faith continue to care and love us from heaven. From that perspective asking for the prayers of anyone who is in heaven is akin to our Protestant friends asking their fellow church members to pray for them. I would think that asking for the prayers of a person already in Heaven would be at least as beneficial as asking for the prayers of someone here on Earth.

Of course, as Catholics, we hold Mary in a special place as the Queen of Heaven and Earth and as Mediatrix. These “uniquely Catholic” dogmas can cause confusion to non-Catholics, but in my experience, most concerns about praying for the intercession of Mary or any other Saint can usually be handled by putting it in the perspective of my previous paragraph.

She believes in the fallacy of soul sleep.
At the transfiguration Jesus talked to Moses, so obviously he is not dead. Elijah was taken up into heaven. St Dismas went to heaven with Jesus after he was crucified.

She better rethink the population of heaven…
People’s bodies die, souls do not die [they are immortal] but are judged and go to their reward.THey await with Jesus the fullness of time and the Second Coming of Christ.

George M:
**I said I’m not praying to Mary ** I’m asking her to pray for me.
Actually, you are.

‘To pray’ means to implore, to entreat or to humbly request.

A lot of Protestants don’t really understand what ‘pray’ means. They think it’s worship.

It’s really a request.

George M:

Also I’ve been reading the NRSV bible but I don’t know if it is approved by the church or does it matter as long as I get what I need out of it.Thanks and God bless George
The only one in Heaven is God 😛 Mary isn’t dead, and are there no souls in Heaven now ?
She has no understanding of the Rosary as we don’t only say the Hail Mary in it :rolleyes:

And you’re fulfilling Mary’s own prophecy in the Gospel of Luke where she says, “All generations shall call me blessed.” You do this every time you say a Hail Mary.

It sounds as if this person misunderstands a lot more than the Rosary! What happens, in her view, to the soul when a person dies if God is alone in heaven???

Betsy

George M:
Then she came up with, Why ask a dead person to pray for you as the only one in heaven is God.
Really? Then what happens to those people who are “saved”? Are they not with God… in heaven?

I’ve been using this arguement to support praying to Mary:

I use 1 Kings 2 and Jesus’ first miracle, Wedding at Cana.

1 Kings 2 reflects how the Davidic kingdom works. The Davidic kingdom is God’s model of His kingdom on earth. In the Davidic kingdom, the queen is not the king’s wife but the king’s mother. This is because the king can have many wives but only one mother. in 1 Kings 2, Adonijah wanted to make a request to the king but instead of going straight to the king, he goes to the queen mother, Bathsheba. The queen mother then makes her request to the king, Solomon. Remember that she has authority but not the power of the king. Solomon in turn, after hearing the request, says that he cannot deny his mother (1 Kings 2:20). This is then reflected in the NT when Jesus performs His first miracle. Who asks requests Him about the wine? Was it not His mother? Was it not His mother who talked Him into it about the wine?

In this sense, we make requests to Mary for she is the Queen mother of our King, Jesus. It doesn’t mean that she has the power. No… Jesus still holds the power.

Another way of looking at it is that as Christians, we are one family. And what does a family do? Don’t they help out each other?

And on another note, these “dead” people are more alive than we are. And when Catholics use the word “pray” indeed we mean “to ask” or “to communicate”. :gopray2:

Of course, what I explained may not phase them but I hope it helps you.

George M:

Also I’ve been reading the NRSV bible but I don’t know if it is approved by the church or does it matter as long as I get what I need out of it.Thanks and God bless George
Only one in Heaven is God hummm !!! and where are all the Angels ???:whacky:

1. Mary is not dead! “Whoever believes in me will live forever.” I doubt your friend will deny that Mary believes in Jesus!
  2. God is certainly not alone in heaven. Read the book of Revelation.
  3. There is nothing wrong with the NRSV except it unnecessarily uses inclusive language. If you like it, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back