The significance of Peace

  • Thread starter Thread starter JesuXPIPassio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JesuXPIPassio

Guest
The Gospel has Jesus telling us again and again about how He gives His Peace to us, and there’s a lot of stress placed on it. The Mass is the same, as you all know.

By question is, why is Peace so important? I guess it’s a question from a spoiled Westerner like me who never set foot in a war zone.

What exactly is Jesus’ Peace? Is it the same as His Love? Was this just a translation mess that ended up with the wrong word describing what He meant?

The only peace I can understand is the opposite of war. But I don’t think this is what Jesus was talking about. Besides, war isn’t a universal experience – not all people have seen those brutal battles. Jesus’ Messages of Peace seem to be directed toward all of us, wherever and whenever we live. So to someone who lives in the safety of the first world, what’s the meaning of this Christian peace?
 
Christians have peace from the last enemy, the enemy that seperated us from God since Eden. Death was defeated at the cross

1 Corinthians 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.1 Corinthians 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
…1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
 
Why?
  1. Matthew 10:12 And when you come into the house, salute it, saying: Peace be to this house.
  2. Luke 10:5 Into whatsoever house you enter, first say: Peace be to this house. 6 And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon him; but if not, it shall return to you.
  3. Luke 24:36 Now whilst they were speaking these things, Jesus stood in the midst of them, and saith to them: Peace be to you; it is I, fear not.
  4. John 20:19 Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you.
  5. John 20:21 He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you.
  6. John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said: Peace be to you.
  7. Romans 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
  8. Ephesians 6:23 Peace be to the brethren and charity with faith, from God the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
  9. 1st Peter 1:2 According to the foreknowledge of God the Father, unto the sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you and peace be multiplied.
  10. 2nd Peter 1:2 Grace to you and peace be accomplished in the knowledge of God and of Christ Jesus our Lord:
  11. 3rd John 1:14 But I hope speedily to see thee, and we will speak mouth to mouth. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Salute the friends by name.
    Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
I’ve always had it explained to me that Christian peace isn’t about the absence of conflict but the ability to remain serene and calm, our hearts lifted up in trust to God in the midst of the conflict and turmoil of earthly life.

“You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.” Isaiah 26:3-4

I think peace is important because it indicates we completely trust the Lord in all things,which is the way we should be because He is completely trustworthy.
 
The meaning of peace as pronounced by Jesus is often confused with absence of war or conflict. This is what Jesus says about it himself:
John 14:27 -
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 16:33 -
I have said this to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."
If Jesus does not give peace as the world gives it, what kind of peace can it be?

The answer is found at the beginning of the Gospel, in the song of the angels at the announcement of the birth of the Saviour:
Luke 2:14 -
“Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!”
Before Jesus, and especially befeore his redeeming death on the Cross, man and God were at enmity. The Cross put to death the estrangement between the all-holy God and sinful man. As the Christmas carol puts it “Peace on earth and mercy mild, God and sinner reconciled.”
 
…My question is, why is peace so important? …
I thought about this one a lot in the past year or two. Here is some of what I have thought:

Christ also tells us that we are to be anxious for nothing, but instead pray about everything.

He wants us not to be anxious, but to have peace.

When we are anxious we don’t have peace. Peace is the place where we meet God, and hear his voice. I don’t think its possible to hear His voice froma place of anxiousness. I can’t think of any time I ever have. So I think He wants us to protect that place, where He meets us.

Probably one way satan interferes with God in our lives is to make us worry. What if…? What about…? Oh no! There is so much we can worry about. When we pray instead of worry we are taking the concerns to Him, and affirming again, He is Our Lord.

God is love and He wants to love us in relationship. Anxiety and worry interfere with that relationship. He wants us to trust.

I think He has to keep reminding us to have peace because it is so easily given up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top