The Silent Voices Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whitacre_Girl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this I was reminded of a quote I posted a few years ago from an article by Peter Kreeft that appeared in “CRISIS” magazine (April '93):**
Moloch also says, ‘Suffer the little children to come unto me,’ but where Jesus places His hand on their heads, Moloch places his teeth.**
Thanks for the new sig. Been looking for one.

Pax,
++N
 
I’m amazed at the very emotional reactions when someone just wants to give woman a voice.

It says a lot…
 
I’m amazed at the very emotional reactions when someone just wants to give woman a voice.

It says a lot…
Sounds simple when you put it that way, but the true meaning that lies beneath (the radical feminist movement) says even more.

You just refuse to see it…

Pax†
 
I’m amazed at the very emotional reactions when someone just wants to give woman a voice.

It says a lot…
:ehh:

Ohh… for heaven’s sake. Do you and I live in the same country?

Women are free do to as they like here and Catholic women are free to do as they like as well. Outside of clergy women have all the same rules as men in the Catholic faith.

People should get a little opinionated when you start changing for the sole purpose to aggrivate people and to push some stupid feminist movement. Do you really think everything has to be specifically for women by women? Personally, I think women are smarter than this pandering bull that goes on these days. It’s insulting to me that people would think that women need a bible in a woman’s voice in order to understand it or make sense of it.

It’s just totally disgusting to me the level of elitism among feminists, like they are so much better than the average Catholic woman.

I can find no redeeming value to a bible like this since it changes male and female identities. The bottom line is that there are definite male and female identities in the bible and in the Christian faith and the Catholic faith. If you don’t like it, Christianity isn’t for you. I hope those that take issue with that aspect of our faith come to find the true understanding of being a man or woman in faith.
 
I’m amazed at the very emotional reactions when someone just wants to give woman a voice.

It says a lot…
No, people have an emotional reaction when holy texts are abused to support agendas.

Before making such statements, understand the real arguments. 👍
 
No, people have an emotional reaction when holy texts are abused to support agendas.

Before making such statements, understand the real arguments. 👍
:yup: And just looking at this thread we can see all us voiceless women here. 😉
 
:yup: And just looking at this thread we can see all us voiceless women here. 😉
LOL!! Because, clearly, I am a man who started the outrage here! :rolleyes:

Heck, i changed my screen name because mine wasn’t gender specific enough and people kept calling me “sir” XD
 
:ehh:
People should get a little opinionated when you start changing for the sole purpose to aggrivate people and to push some stupid feminist movement. Do you really think everything has to be specifically for women by women? Personally, I think **women are smarter than this **pandering bull that goes on these days. It’s **insulting to me that people would think that women need a bible in a woman’s voice in order to understand it or make sense of it. **
Thanks for articulating that! 👍 I felt the same way when I looked at the silly revised text - like I said earlier, anyone with a word processor and find-and-replace could do this. To praise it as if it’s some stroke of genius or something . . . :rolleyes: give me a break.

I could hang upside down from monkey bars and look at the world upside down when I was a girl and a bit lighter on my feet, that was fun for a lark. But I couldn’t step out into the sky and walk around on it no matter how much I wanted to pretend I could. :whacky: I think I got less dizzy from that, now that I think on it, than from reading the SVB.
It’s just totally disgusting to me the level of **elitism among feminists, like they are so much better than the average Catholic woman. **
:amen: Like their presumption that all women really want their agenda. Yeah, right. 😛
I can find no redeeming value to a bible like this since it changes male and female identities. The bottom line is that there are definite male and female identities in the bible and in the Christian faith and the Catholic faith. If you don’t like it, Christianity isn’t for you. I hope those that take issue with that aspect of our faith come to find the true understanding of being a man or woman in faith.
Some folks may believe the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, too. Doesn’t make it so. :nope:
 
:ehh:

Ohh… for heaven’s sake. Do you and I live in the same country?
  1. Women are free do to as they like here and Catholic women are free to do as they like as well. Outside of clergy women have all the same rules as men in the Catholic faith.
  2. People should get a little opinionated when you start changing for the sole purpose to aggrivate people and to push some stupid feminist movement. Do you really think everything has to be specifically for women by women? Personally, I think women are smarter than this pandering bull that goes on these days. It’s insulting to me that people would think that women need a bible in a woman’s voice in order to understand it or make sense of it.
It’s just totally disgusting to me the level of elitism among feminists, like they are so much better than the average Catholic woman.
  1. I can find no redeeming value to a bible like this since it changes male and female identities. The bottom line is that there are definite male and female identities in the bible and in the Christian faith and the Catholic faith. If you don’t like it, Christianity isn’t for you. I hope those that take issue with that aspect of our faith come to find the true understanding of being a man or woman in faith.
  1. We’re not talking about rules, we’re talking about an equal voice within the church.
  2. I never said for women by women. But how about by for men & women by men & women?
  3. Wow. So since I’m willing to explore other fellings and perpsectives - I don’t belong in the Christian faith? Nice.
 
  1. We’re not talking about rules, we’re talking about an equal voice within the church.
So then what does that have to do with the bible. The bible is the bible, it cannot be changed. The church can change, focus your efforts there if that’s what you wish do accomplish.

I would like women to be able to have more of an official role within the church structure as well, but where and how is a bit tricky. I don’t believe in female priests, but certainly couldn’t you ordain sisters with similar authority as a deacon?

Eitherway, I think women do have a large voice in the Catholic community. I know that in our parish a lot of the church events are planned and run by the women of the parish.Sure we have the KoC, but parish women do a lot and everyone recognizes that.
  1. I never said for women by women. But how about by for men & women by men & women?
You never said that, but it seemed implied to me. Again, you can’t just go changing a major point of the bible just to make a few feminists happy.
  1. Wow. So since I’m willing to explore other fellings and perpsectives - I don’t belong in the Christian faith? Nice.
No, I didn’t say you can’t be Catholic because you want to explore. The problem is that gender roles/identity are very strong in Christianity, it’s the way God made us. It’s a big deal, not something you twist around to make people happy. I’m simply stating that if traditional gender identities are a big deal for you, Christianity is going to be very tough for you. This probably something you are not going change much. Now proetestant churches are ordaining women and even gays, you’d have more luck changing things there than in the Catholic church.

The Catholic church does not make changes without decades of thought and very good reason to make the change. That’s all I’m saying. Gender identity is a huge part of Christianity and Catholism in particular and not something to be messed with a willy-nilly.
 
  1. So then what does that have to do with the bible. The bible is the bible, it cannot be changed. The church can change, focus your efforts there if that’s what you wish do accomplish.
  2. I would like women to be able to have more of an official role within the church structure as well, but where and how is a bit tricky. I don’t believe in female priests, but certainly couldn’t you ordain sisters with similar authority as a deacon?
  3. Either way, I think women do have a large voice in the Catholic community. I know that in our parish a lot of the church events are planned and run by the women of the parish.Sure we have the KoC, but parish women do a lot and everyone recognizes that.
  4. You never said that, but it seemed implied to me. Again, you can’t just go changing a major point of the bible just to make a few feminists happy.
  5. No, I didn’t say you can’t be Catholic because you want to explore. The problem is that gender roles/identity are very strong in Christianity, it’s the way God made us. It’s a big deal, not something you twist around to make people happy. I’m simply stating that if traditional gender identities are a big deal for you, Christianity is going to be very tough for you. This probably something you are not going change much. Now proetestant churches are ordaining women and even gays, you’d have more luck changing things there than in the Catholic church.
  6. The Catholic church does not make changes without decades of thought and very good reason to make the change. That’s all I’m saying. Gender identity is a huge part of Christianity and Catholism in particular and not something to be messed with a willy-nilly.
  1. I’m not advocating that anyone change anything about the Bible. I love it as it is too. That doesn’t mean I can’t explore other interpretations and/or perspectives just to experience them. To see how they may speak to me, or even give me new perpsectives on the Bible. That’s all I’m saying.
  2. We agree in theory. I don’t see aproblem with female priests - but I certainly respect and understand the arguments against such a change. I see no reason why there shouldn’t be female deacons however. And I’d like to see more female “pastoral administrators” who run a parish and leave the spiritual stuff (Mass, Sacraments, Confession etc etc ) to the priest.
  3. Of course women have a voice, they just don’t have any formal representation on the decision or policy making. That’s not right IMHO.
  4. See my point #1 above. I don’t want to change anything (in the Bible)
  5. Ummm…the Catholic Church has ordained homosexuals too…
  6. See my point #1 above. I don’t want to change anything (in the Bible)
 
  1. Ummm…the Catholic Church has ordained homosexuals too…
No, that is incorrect. A gay person engages in sex with someone of the same sex. A priest with a same sex attraction is not (or should not be) having sex at all therefore isn’t sinning in this mannor.

Personally, I think a person with a same sex attraction that doesn’t act on it isn’t in the same category as an openly gay person having sex.

I’m sure there are plenty of priests who have had or do have a problem with same sex attraction. I don’t have a problem with that since they are not engaging in sex anyway. So long as they are celibate and carry out their vows to the church I don’t see a problem with it.

The problem is when you are ordaining openly gays who have active gay “life partners” as if having sex with someone of the same sex isn’t a big deal.
 
Breaking stride here to address a point about this SVB which is lesser in importance but, IMO, shouldn’t be overlooked - what the SVB tweakers did made the Bible *not even make sense as literature. * And that to me is another strike against it - because the Bible is great literature as well as a holy book.

I’ve seen Shakespeare productions where they costume the actors in anachronistic clothing and things like that - and it may work if well done, or it may bomb and look silly. And some books movies are “rewrites” of classic literature plots - even the teen vampire series Twilight is a sort of Romeo and Juliet story.

OK, Twilight is light literature, but it’s the first example I can think of off the top of my head. But at least it doesn’t just take Shakespeare’s work and insert a few lines about vampires in the dialogue where they stick out like a sore thumb. It’s an organic whole, and it doesn’t try to pretend to be Shakespeare. It’s a teen vampire romance.

The topsy-turvy SVB reduces a good and holy work of literature to clunkiness, implausibility, even (in places) hokeyness. “Queen Davina,” indeed! :rolleyes:
 
No, that is incorrect. A gay person engages in sex with someone of the same sex. A priest with a same sex attraction is not (or should not be) having sex at all therefore isn’t sinning in this mannor.

Personally, I think a person with a same sex attraction that doesn’t act on it isn’t in the same category as an openly gay person having sex.

I’m sure there are plenty of priests who have had or do have a problem with same sex attraction. I don’t have a problem with that since they are not engaging in sex anyway. So long as they are celibate and carry out their vows to the church I don’t see a problem with it.

The problem is when you are ordaining openly gays who have active gay “life partners” as if having sex with someone of the same sex isn’t a big deal.
I agree with you - but the Church doesn’t - as they are actively screening out anyone with a homosexual tendency (whether acted on or not) from both the Priesthood and the Diaconate.
 
Breaking stride here to address a point about this SVB which is lesser in importance but, IMO, shouldn’t be overlooked - what the SVB tweakers did made the Bible *not even make sense as literature. *And that to me is another strike against it - because the Bible is great literature as well as a holy book.

I’ve seen Shakespeare productions where they costume the actors in anachronistic clothing and things like that - and it may work if well done, or it may bomb and look silly. And some books movies are “rewrites” of classic literature plots - even the teen vampire series Twilight is a sort of Romeo and Juliet story.

OK, Twilight is light literature, but it’s the first example I can think of off the top of my head. But at least it doesn’t just take Shakespeare’s work and insert a few lines about vampires in the dialogue where they stick out like a sore thumb. It’s an organic whole, and it doesn’t try to pretend to be Shakespeare. It’s a teen vampire romance.

The topsy-turvy SVB reduces a good and holy work of literature to clunkiness, implausibility, even (in places) hokeyness. “Queen Davina,” indeed! :rolleyes:
I agree.

I’m not defending what the author did as good literature. In fact, I think the role reversal bit (men having babies etc) kinda screwed up what otherwise could have been an interesting point. It might have been better to just have role reversals in terms of who had the power or were the key characters (queens instead of kings, woman apostles instead of men, etc etc)

But I am defending people’s right to explore their spirituality and religion from some different perspectives, and such exploration doesn’t have to mean we’re looking to get the Bible replaced or changed.
 
The thread title led me to believe this was a Bible version in ASL grammar. Boy was I disappointed.

Anyone who tinkers with Scripture…well, I’ll unleash Jael and her tent spike on their youknowwhatsits.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top