The Simpsons postpone a Catholic themed episode

• Thread starter Thread starter Fitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fitz

FOX news just reported that the Simpsons are postponing an episode that is called, “Father, Son, and Holy Ghost” out of respect for the new Pope. They will air it next Fall apparently.

I have never watched that program. When it first started, I had it for about a minutes and was so totally turned off by it that I have never watched it again.

40.png
geezerbob:
I have never watched that program. When it first started, I had it for about a minutes and was so totally turned off by it that I have never watched it again.
When my children were young I forbid the show and they complained to me all the time. As they grew up they did watch, but I refused to do so. I think cartoons are stupid as a rule. However, this particular one is quite creative and has a huge following. I am glad they didn’t run the cartoon about a Pope this week. It would have been an insult if aired the very week that we have a new Pope. It would be my wish that they nix it altogether.

It’s a lot less sophmoric than South Park, which is on too late for me to see anyway. I’ll admit that I find a lot of humor in the Simpsons, mostly in the obscure references verses the outrite obvious jokes. I’ll agree on one point though, it’s definately not for kids.

It is mostly very funny - sometimes goes too far, but as someone said this is not a kids program.

I don’t know about the USA but in the UK it was marketed as a kids program and shown at kids program times - which I always found pretty outrageous considering some of the themes.

The first time I saw Simpsons I thought it was clever. Its theme was actually very Christian; it was about Homer being sad because everything he touches goes to pieces and all the neighbor does is Gold – including Christmas decorations, kids’ behavior, RV and everything.

Yes, it took a bit of getting used to. Then during its first seasons I used to wait until my wife left for eucharistic adoration and then the kids and I would watch it. That was the only show we watched together, until Touched by and Angel started airing in that same time slot.

That made it hard to watch Simpsons because we’d have to turn it off in the middle when mom got home. We started watching Touched by an Angel, but got bored after a few months and were eventually weaned from TV. Then we started taking turns going with mom to Eucharistic Adoration. It more than filled the gap that the loss of the Simpsons left! 😛

Alan

I said previous that the Simsons was funny.

And it is!

But there is a danger here - and that is I believe comedy is being used as a tool for social engineering. Some of the themes in The Simsons are morally bad. Also some things that are morally good are mocked. And kids are encouraged to watch this.

Another example of what is happening the program “Friends”. That program has funny moments but is morally replusive. This is also screened in the UK in a kiddies time slot.

“If it’s funny there’s no harm in it”.

I don’t believe it.

I used to really enjoy “The Simpsons” when it was new, but I haven’t watched it in years. It was never really appropriate for small children anyway. The problem is that it’s stale: run way too long and now I suppose the writers are following the lead of the newer garbage like “South Park” in an attempt to hang on even longer. Aside from the stereotype neighbor & the church pastor, they pretty much stayed away from overtly religious satire in the early years. That being said, do we dare to hope that the decision to postpone that episode is a sign that someone in the entertainment industry is even a little bit concerned about offending Catholics?

40.png
stellina:
That being said, do we dare to hope that the decision to postpone that episode is a sign that someone in the entertainment industry is even a little bit concerned about offending Catholics?
Dear stellina,

Clearly I think they are concerned about offending Catholics, or maybe even showing enough sensitivity not to hit them when they are perceived most vulnerable.

The motives for that concern are something we’ll probably never know. It is an honest moment of compassion, or is it mostly a marketing decision? I rather suspect the latter, but I have no particular basis for that except my own cynical view toward practically any ostensible display of morality by business.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back