S
sobino
Guest
Hi
My name is Martin and I am Slovak catholic.I use to discuss with Protestants about Bible ,because I want to give them catholic answers for some problematic text of the Scripture.I have a question about contraception.Cos i had a long discussions with Protestants about the sin of Onan.Can we clearly say that this verses from Bible are against contraception?Protestants say that God did not punish Onan for spilling the semen but for breaking the levirate law.Below I have the answer of one protestant about this what would be your answer to him?
these are the words of one protestant:
Onan was selfish, I agree. He didn’t secure his dead brother’s inheritance and so follow levirate laws. That the punishment for not following the commandment in Deut 25:5-6 is humiliation is true, but I think it is important to remember that it is not the town elders who here are punishing Onan, but God. That, I think, makes all the difference. I don’t think that God punishing him by death has to do with him “spilling his semen”. That would simply be overlooking what the point of the story is. You must not forget Onan’s family line. He is not a nobody. He has famous forefathers. The important bloodline is not kept by Onan’s disobedience.
The text is actually not that expressive. The original hebrew says to the extent: “And he would waste on the ground”. It is implied that it is semen and it is also how its translated in most Bibles. Other than that there are plenty of other passages in the OT, some sexual, like the Song of Songs, other of more violent nature, which are quite expressive.
My name is Martin and I am Slovak catholic.I use to discuss with Protestants about Bible ,because I want to give them catholic answers for some problematic text of the Scripture.I have a question about contraception.Cos i had a long discussions with Protestants about the sin of Onan.Can we clearly say that this verses from Bible are against contraception?Protestants say that God did not punish Onan for spilling the semen but for breaking the levirate law.Below I have the answer of one protestant about this what would be your answer to him?
these are the words of one protestant:
Onan was selfish, I agree. He didn’t secure his dead brother’s inheritance and so follow levirate laws. That the punishment for not following the commandment in Deut 25:5-6 is humiliation is true, but I think it is important to remember that it is not the town elders who here are punishing Onan, but God. That, I think, makes all the difference. I don’t think that God punishing him by death has to do with him “spilling his semen”. That would simply be overlooking what the point of the story is. You must not forget Onan’s family line. He is not a nobody. He has famous forefathers. The important bloodline is not kept by Onan’s disobedience.
The text is actually not that expressive. The original hebrew says to the extent: “And he would waste on the ground”. It is implied that it is semen and it is also how its translated in most Bibles. Other than that there are plenty of other passages in the OT, some sexual, like the Song of Songs, other of more violent nature, which are quite expressive.