W
Wulfgar
Guest
For those of you who aren’t aware of the utilitarian philosopher Peter Singer, one of his stances on poverty is that we are obliged to give absolutely everything we earn that isn’t allocated to our basic necessities to people in need. Here is his article (it is quite a shocking read):
utilitarian.net/singer/by/19990905.htm
Interestingly enough, I’m reading this as an assignment for a Jewish studies course, and Judaism is known to be quite legalistic, though I don’t know what Singer’s religious views are. At any rate, I’m curious as to what the Catholic perspective on this is. My thoughts are that sacrifices this extraordinary seem to be something the saints would do (which, needless to say, is an incredibly noble and good thing, but my point is that it would seem that this would be pushing the limits on what the vast majority of people “should” do, whatever that “should” really means). And, if all of us were obliged to do such a thing, wouldn’t that de-value what the saints did, thereby making their actions mere fulfillments of natural duties rather than genuine sacrifices?
It’s an interesting take on things. Thoughts?
utilitarian.net/singer/by/19990905.htm
Interestingly enough, I’m reading this as an assignment for a Jewish studies course, and Judaism is known to be quite legalistic, though I don’t know what Singer’s religious views are. At any rate, I’m curious as to what the Catholic perspective on this is. My thoughts are that sacrifices this extraordinary seem to be something the saints would do (which, needless to say, is an incredibly noble and good thing, but my point is that it would seem that this would be pushing the limits on what the vast majority of people “should” do, whatever that “should” really means). And, if all of us were obliged to do such a thing, wouldn’t that de-value what the saints did, thereby making their actions mere fulfillments of natural duties rather than genuine sacrifices?
It’s an interesting take on things. Thoughts?