A
Athus
Guest
Hi there, I was hoping you might be able to help me with a question I have
Whenever some awful scandal comes out about church abuses, or people talk about something bad the Catholic church did a few decades or centuries ago one of the lines I’ve often heard is “Bad behavior of members does not change the truth of its teachings”.
How can this be? If the Catholic Church is as claimed the one and only instrument of God to bring about the salvation of souls he seems to have picked a very inefficient way of doing it. Any book on Papal history can show many pontiffs who were less than ideal examples of Catholic faith. Now maybe the office is separate from the corrupt individual…But to repeatedly thrust power into the hands of individuals (Let’s take the German Bishops who have the “pay to take sacraments” policy; essentially pay me or I’m condemning you to hell) who like the so called “Bishops of Bling” use it to further their own ends…Either somethings not quite right with how this salvation plan is supposed to work (i.e: God didn’t realize humans would be as corrupt as they are), or saving souls apparently wasn’t the creators number one priority. The whole apostolic system seems very open to abuse, and doesn’t seem to fit with the idea of a deity who wants to see souls saved.It fits perfectly with the idea of an absolute law, but not with any concept of benevolence.
One bad egg doesn’t mean the whole basket is off, but when the very core system itself is very inefficient and in practice does not and has never worked (i.e: There has never been a period without corrupt clerics) why is that not indicative of some very deep problems with the theory.
On a far more basic crude level; in the same way North Korea isn’t fit to lecture anyone on human rights, how is the Catholic Church qualified to lecture anyone about the welfare of children or vulnerable individuals? Doesn’t “Do as I say, not as I do” sound hypocritical?
It’s just something that crossed my mind, and I wondered what the Catholic opinion on it was.
Thanks if you can help.
Whenever some awful scandal comes out about church abuses, or people talk about something bad the Catholic church did a few decades or centuries ago one of the lines I’ve often heard is “Bad behavior of members does not change the truth of its teachings”.
How can this be? If the Catholic Church is as claimed the one and only instrument of God to bring about the salvation of souls he seems to have picked a very inefficient way of doing it. Any book on Papal history can show many pontiffs who were less than ideal examples of Catholic faith. Now maybe the office is separate from the corrupt individual…But to repeatedly thrust power into the hands of individuals (Let’s take the German Bishops who have the “pay to take sacraments” policy; essentially pay me or I’m condemning you to hell) who like the so called “Bishops of Bling” use it to further their own ends…Either somethings not quite right with how this salvation plan is supposed to work (i.e: God didn’t realize humans would be as corrupt as they are), or saving souls apparently wasn’t the creators number one priority. The whole apostolic system seems very open to abuse, and doesn’t seem to fit with the idea of a deity who wants to see souls saved.It fits perfectly with the idea of an absolute law, but not with any concept of benevolence.
One bad egg doesn’t mean the whole basket is off, but when the very core system itself is very inefficient and in practice does not and has never worked (i.e: There has never been a period without corrupt clerics) why is that not indicative of some very deep problems with the theory.
On a far more basic crude level; in the same way North Korea isn’t fit to lecture anyone on human rights, how is the Catholic Church qualified to lecture anyone about the welfare of children or vulnerable individuals? Doesn’t “Do as I say, not as I do” sound hypocritical?
It’s just something that crossed my mind, and I wondered what the Catholic opinion on it was.
Thanks if you can help.