S
Skadi
Guest
I’m very interested to hear a Young Earth Creation response to the “Starlight problem”, and while the Church does not necessitate belief in YEC I know there are Catholics here as well as others who hold this belief.
The jist of this is that if the earth is between 10,000 and 6,000 years old then it is not possible for light to have traveled the billions of lightyears from distant stars to reach earth, and we would only be able to observe light from stars within a few thousand light years of earth. For more detailed information just google this, or check Wikipedia or RationalWiki.
The defenses I have heard in the past are A. That god Created the photons of light mid flight, and B. that in the age of creation the laws of physics were significantly different allowing light to travel faster.
The first arguement has generally been abandoned by apologists because it implys a deceitful god, which is contrary to Christian beleif. The second, while it cannot be disproven, has no evidence to support it either, the natural laws of science such a the speed of light in a vacuum have never been observed to change. And the Constance of natural law is one of the pillars of modern science.
So, I’m curious, are there other arguements from a YEC standpoint I have not heard? Or further arguement for the two states here?
The jist of this is that if the earth is between 10,000 and 6,000 years old then it is not possible for light to have traveled the billions of lightyears from distant stars to reach earth, and we would only be able to observe light from stars within a few thousand light years of earth. For more detailed information just google this, or check Wikipedia or RationalWiki.
The defenses I have heard in the past are A. That god Created the photons of light mid flight, and B. that in the age of creation the laws of physics were significantly different allowing light to travel faster.
The first arguement has generally been abandoned by apologists because it implys a deceitful god, which is contrary to Christian beleif. The second, while it cannot be disproven, has no evidence to support it either, the natural laws of science such a the speed of light in a vacuum have never been observed to change. And the Constance of natural law is one of the pillars of modern science.
So, I’m curious, are there other arguements from a YEC standpoint I have not heard? Or further arguement for the two states here?