G
Gusto
Guest
My friend is a Christadelphian who interprets this one way, of course they somehow twist it to include the Catholic Church. Here are just my thoughts which I responded to him.
It has been suggested the kingdoms referred to in the text are as follows:
The head represents the Babylon - Gold
Chest – Persia - Silver
Belly – Greece - Bronze
Legs of Iron – Rome – Iron –
Feet of Iron and Clay - ???
For me to understand the “clay” aspect of the feet, I go first and foremost to the Bible
What does the Bible tell us about clay
Gen 2:7
the LORD God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being
Isaiah 64:8
Yet, O LORD, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou art our potter; we are all the work of thy hand.
So in the above two verses “man” is the clay and God created us.
God being the potter.
In the context of Isaiah though, is he speaking more specifically about the Israel people?
I don’t know how you may read the Bible but when I see a unique phrase such as “potters clay” I look elsewhere (see above) to get a better understanding of this term
Daniel 2:41 speaks of the clay as the potters clay – within the Biblical context I suggest this refers to the people of God – the Jews of the OT?
[41] And as you saw the feet and toes partly of potter’s clay ……
When Daniel wrote this, do you think he knew the writings of Isaiah and what the unique phrase “potters clay” meant?
I also note all of the above materials are metal that represent kingdoms except the last one which is clay.
If metals represent kingdoms, what does clay represent Biblically speaking?
If the stone cut out of the mountain represents Jesus and it is this stone that smashes on the feet of iron and clay then it makes sense to me that this represents the Romans and Jews that joined together to put Jesus to death.
When the Stone and the feet of iron and clay “clash” at the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, history was changed for ever.
What happened it was the beginning of the end of the Roman empire which is no more and the “clay apocalypse” that was predicted in Mark 13 came to pass and the stone became a great mountain that filled the whole earth, as per Jesus instruction in the Great Commission.
I would be interested to know if you have thought of it this way at all.
It has been suggested the kingdoms referred to in the text are as follows:
The head represents the Babylon - Gold
Chest – Persia - Silver
Belly – Greece - Bronze
Legs of Iron – Rome – Iron –
Feet of Iron and Clay - ???
For me to understand the “clay” aspect of the feet, I go first and foremost to the Bible
What does the Bible tell us about clay
Gen 2:7
the LORD God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being
Isaiah 64:8
Yet, O LORD, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou art our potter; we are all the work of thy hand.
So in the above two verses “man” is the clay and God created us.
God being the potter.
In the context of Isaiah though, is he speaking more specifically about the Israel people?
I don’t know how you may read the Bible but when I see a unique phrase such as “potters clay” I look elsewhere (see above) to get a better understanding of this term
Daniel 2:41 speaks of the clay as the potters clay – within the Biblical context I suggest this refers to the people of God – the Jews of the OT?
[41] And as you saw the feet and toes partly of potter’s clay ……
When Daniel wrote this, do you think he knew the writings of Isaiah and what the unique phrase “potters clay” meant?
I also note all of the above materials are metal that represent kingdoms except the last one which is clay.
If metals represent kingdoms, what does clay represent Biblically speaking?
If the stone cut out of the mountain represents Jesus and it is this stone that smashes on the feet of iron and clay then it makes sense to me that this represents the Romans and Jews that joined together to put Jesus to death.
When the Stone and the feet of iron and clay “clash” at the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus, history was changed for ever.
What happened it was the beginning of the end of the Roman empire which is no more and the “clay apocalypse” that was predicted in Mark 13 came to pass and the stone became a great mountain that filled the whole earth, as per Jesus instruction in the Great Commission.
I would be interested to know if you have thought of it this way at all.