I know why we go to confession to a Priest, but I never heard a response that involves the Temple Veil.
“…since the veil was torn when Jesus was crucified and that made way for humans to talk directly to God… Why do Catholics go to confession?”
What answer can I give that addresses the Temple Veil; or has that got anything to do with it?
I usually like to ask someone who says this if they believe that God never uses human beings to communicate his grace and forgiveness to us. I’ll usually say, “what about the person who first introduced you to Christ? Or your pastor? Don’t you agree God used them as his instruments?” Most of the time they will agree that yes, that is what God did.
Then I’d ask, “if the the veil being torn was meant to symbolize that we have direct access to God now and have no need of any human intermediaries, why did God use your pastor? Why not just reveal himself directly to you?”
The temple veil being torn did symbolize that we have access to God now that we didn’t have before. The breach has really been healed and our sins really can be forgiven, something the Old Covenant had no power to do. But it didn’t mean God was through using men as his instruments, as we see in the example of the pastor who first introduced them to God.
From there you just need to show them that the priesthood is exactly that, God using men as his instruments of grace and forgiveness. That’s it. That’s why Jesus sent his apostles out in John 20. And that’s why we go to confession to a priest, because that’s the ordinary means He himself gave us to have our sins forgiven. Jesus still is the one and only mediator, only he could atone for our sins. But that doesn’t exclude priests from being mediators as well. Not separate or distinct from him of course, but through him, with him and in him. It’s only by his power that they can do anything.
Anyway, that’s usually how I go about this question. Hope that helped a little. The big thing is really to show someone saying this that God
still uses men as His instruments. If you can get them to see that, it’s usually a lot easier to explain the priesthood. Most Protestants have at least some concept of God working through men. We just have to show them that the priesthood is another, unique, way that He does that.