The Tetragrammaton

  • Thread starter Thread starter FightingFat
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FightingFat

Guest
Why is it that Christians are permitted to use the name of God and yet Jews are not? As I understand it, modern Jews are as much at a loss to know the correct pronunciation of the name as we are, is this true?
 
Why is it that Christians are permitted to use the name of God and yet Jews are not? As I understand it, modern Jews are as much at a loss to know the correct pronunciation of the name as we are, is this true?
For the same reason we are permitted to make images both of Christ and God the Father - whereas Jewish law prohibits such portrayals.

The Jewish customs (if I understand correctly) are related to the ridiculousness of trying to name or portray that which has never taken a definite physical form or permitted unrestricted use of its name.

In the New Testament God DID take a physical form and a name which everyone knew and used freely - the form and name of Jesus Christ. While the body and name of Jesus are certainly sacred and holy, they are not beyond any use or portrayal - not since our true God became true Man as well. Since he took a common human form and a common human name to himself he can hardly object to the (reverent) use and portrayal of such.
 
Why is it that Christians are permitted to use the name of God and yet Jews are not? As I understand it, modern Jews are as much at a loss to know the correct pronunciation of the name as we are, is this true?
Fighting Fat,

I believe that the Jewish prohibition against pronouncing the Name of God is a tradition rather than a bona fide law. The idea is that the Name is too holy to come out of a sinful man’s mouth. Speaking personally, I find a good deal of merit in this idea … although naturally I will not condemn anybody for disagreeing with me over this.
  • Liberian
 
After the name was given to Moses, I presume that the Jews did use it, as it appears frequently in the OT scriptures. But it soon came to be considered to sacred to be spoken, so that on reading it, instead of pronouncing the actual word, the Jews would simply say “Lord” as a substitute.
 
Interestingly, the Orthodox Jews say “ha-Shem” instead of speaking the Name of the Lord. “ha-Shem” is Hebrew for “the Name.”
  • Liberian
 
Hello all,

I have had many discussions over the Holy Tetragrammaton with some of my Jewish co-workers.

True, God’s name was given to Moses. However, they replaced His true name with “Hashem” or “Adonai” for fear of taking God’s name in vain or using it in a blasphemous tone.

The True name of God was used by the high priest in festivals such as Yom Kippur, but usually only then. My co-workers believe the true name may be lost.

The important thing to remember is this …

Don’t get hung up on His name. God is spirit, we worhip him as such. We also have Christ Jesus, whom we believe is Him incarnate. God will reveal all to us in due time.

We go through the Son with the power of the Holy Spirit to the Father.

Here is an interesting website I found during a search for the Holy Tetragrammaton. Take a look and post what you think.

May the blessings of our Lord Jesus Christ be upon us all!

Jesse

hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_G-d/names_of_g-d.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top