R
Robert_Sock
Guest
The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise. Inside there is invincible strength. Remove the cloud of the mind’s ego, and the inner power will shine through.
-Chabad.org
-Chabad.org
Archbishop Fluton J. Sheen spoke and wrote much with terms, “ego” being one of many. To my recollection, the ego is the driving force to pursue worldly goods to satisfy our depraved passions. Within reason we should deny this pursuit because to give in is to stop fighting the battle of spirituality giving due to our weakness. By spirituality, I speak of the term that generally pertains to the growth of contemplative prayer.The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise.
I quoted a Jewish website because they go into depth why certain behavior is sinful. I could just as easily quoted the Seven Deadly Sins, in particular, that of pride.Also, why did you link to a jewish website?
Judaism does NOT deny the self, so I’m sure that the Chabad-Lubavitch website from which you are quoting is using the word ego in the common sense of the pretend and prideful self rather than the true self.The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise. Inside there is invincible strength. Remove the cloud of the mind’s ego, and the inner power will shine through.
-Chabad.org
There is a form of Jewish spirituality involved with contemplation, who follow paths similar to Christian contemplatives. Is it Kabalah ? Not sure, but I read about a group near my town, a few years ago.Judaism does NOT deny the self, so I’m sure that the Chabad-Lubavitch website from which you are quoting is using the word ego in the common sense of the pretend and prideful self rather than the true self.
True, I was think the same thing myself, when I read the OP.Archbishop Fluton J. Sheen spoke and wrote much with terms, “ego” being one of many. To my recollection, the ego is the driving force to pursue worldly goods to satisfy our depraved passions. Within reason we should deny this pursuit because to give in is to stop fighting the battle of spirituality giving due to our weakness. By spirituality, I speak of the term that generally pertains to the growth of contemplative prayer.
S. John of the Cross calls the void that exists due to our denial of our depraved passions
a dark night. (cf. Ascent of Mount Carmel, 1, 2, 1) These nights of which he speaks is what we should all struggle for in order to come to union with God in our prayer.
Although, the struggle will call the need of doctrine and to give more of ourselves to God and neighbour in generosity. Nevertheless, there are many appoaches that share the same principles, all in which the Catholic faith embraces, in a certain sense, as Christ being the head and Mary being the neck of the Body of Christ. On the other hand, we are not a finger or a toe, ect. we all share in the riches of the whole body but there is an element of preeminence given from Christ the head. Mary is queen and dispenses to the whole body thereby she is called the neck in words of the great Cardinal, S. Robert Bellarmine.
The self is very real but it needs to be ‘crushed’ according to Chabad-Lubavitch.Judaism does NOT deny the self, so I’m sure that the Chabad-Lubavitch website from which you are quoting is using the word ego in the common sense of the pretend and prideful self rather than the true self.
We know for sure that the approved documents of the Catholic Church will not mislead you in faith or morals. And we have a vast source of these materials to draw from. On the other hand, we don’t know that about any Jewish writings. In fact, it’s a good bet that they are misled in some matter or another, since they intentionally aren’t Catholic. So why draw information from questionable sources and put yourself and others in danger of being misled?I quoted a Jewish website because they go into depth why certain behavior is sinful. I could just as easily quoted the Seven Deadly Sins, in particular, that of pride.
What is the problem? Contrary to some opinions, our Lord and Savior lived and died a Jew, not a Christian.We know for sure that the approved documents of the Catholic Church will not mislead you in faith or morals. And we have a vast source of these materials to draw from. On the other hand, we don’t know that about any Jewish writings. In fact, it’s a good bet that they are misled in some matter or another, since they intentionally aren’t Catholic. So why draw information from questionable sources and put yourself and others in danger of being misled?
I see the ego as the “bushel basket” that covers our pure light – our true selves, the part made in the image of God. Helpless to sin, the ego conceals and manipulates us, which in turn has a ripple effect on everyone around us. Bushel baskets can be nearly transparent or nearly opaque, and have all sorts of colors and patterns in between.The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise. Inside there is invincible strength. Remove the cloud of the mind’s ego, and the inner power will shine through.
-Chabad.org
Many in the Hasidic branch of Judaism study the mystical writings of the Kabbalah. However, their primary obligation is the same as that of all Jews, namely the study and practice of Torah teaching. The Kabbalah is often used to more fully understand the Torah Law, as is the Talmud. However, unlike Buddhism, Hinduism, and, to a certain extent, Catholicism, I reiterate that Judaism does not believe in the denial of the self. Anyone who writes otherwise is not in conformity with the teachings of the religion.There is a form of Jewish spirituality involved with contemplation, who follow paths similar to Christian contemplatives. Is it Kabalah ? Not sure, but I read about a group near my town, a few years ago.
Of course, they are not Christ Centered, but understand the presence of God in all human beings.
Jim
The denial of self isn’t taught by Catholic contemplatives nor Buddhist. It’s the denial of theMany in the Hasidic branch of Judaism study the mystical writings of the Kabbalah. However, their primary obligation is the same as that of all Jews, namely the study and practice of Torah teaching. The Kabbalah is often used to more fully understand the Torah Law, as is the Talmud. However, unlike Buddhism, Hinduism, and, to a certain extent, Catholicism, I reiterate that Judaism does not believe in the denial of the self. Anyone who writes otherwise is not in conformity with the teachings of the religion.
I count one Freudian term, ‘ego.’ That’s it!I’m sad to see so many Freudian terms being used.
In Catholicism there is something similar to the ‘self’ in Chabad that needs to get transformed:The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise. Inside there is invincible strength. Remove the cloud of the mind’s ego, and the inner power will shine through.
-Chabad.org
Yes, but that word makes me very sad. :crying:I count one Freudian term, ‘ego.’ That’s it!
In all due respect to Mr. Freud, he isn’t the orginator of the word “self” or “ego”.The ego is not a source of strength. It is weakness in disguise. Inside there is invincible strength. Remove the cloud of the mind’s ego, and the inner power will shine through.
-Chabad.org
Someone also said ID and something else, too.I count one Freudian term, ‘ego.’ That’s it!