The unforgivable sin? Please help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Elizastaci
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elizastaci

Guest
I’m very very scared, and I don’t know what to do. I tried submitting this to the Ask an Apologist forum last week, but it hasn’t been answered yet and I can’t wait anymore.

I was always taught growing up that any sin could be forgiven through Confession, but recently I read something–on these forums, I think–about the ‘unforgivable sin’, defined as blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It’s kept me up ever since.

When I was thirteen, I went through a horrific time in my life. I was desperately unhappy, and very jaded. It was at this time that I renounced Catholicism and decided to become Wiccan, because my sister was and it seemed glamorous or something. That only lasted a very very short time, as once I learned more about it I really disliked it; I was confirmed in the Catholic Church the next year, and of course I confessed that period.

But now with this unforgivable sin thing, I’m terrified that because of that time in my life, that I’m already damned, that God doesn’t listen to my prayers anymore. It’s making me physically sick.

Can anyone help shed light on this? I could really, really use some help, though I suppose it may be too late.
 
don’t worry…you are not condemned. you confessed that period of your life and you were given absolution…that’s that!
 
You could waiting awhile on your response from “Ask An Apologist.” It’s good you posted here so that you can move forward with your life…with God.

Be assured, by renouncing your past way of life, by confessing your sins of apostasy and infidelity, and by being granted absolution by the priest or bishop, you were set free from this sin which is giving you such trouble.

Now, for your penance, read and reflect on Psalm 32. 😛 I’m joking, of course – I’m not a priest! But, seriously, you should read and reflect on Psalm 32.

“Happy the sinner whose fault is removed, whose sin is forgiven.
Happy those to whom the LORD imputes no guilt, in whose spirit is no deceit.”
 
Don’t be terrified. The unforgivable sin is to refuse to accept God’s forgiveness for you until you die. That’s the only thing that cannot be forgiven, because it refers to someone who does not want to be forgiven.
 
The unforgiveable sin, in a nutshell, is refusing to repent of your sins. In other words, God doesn’t forgive you of your sins because you choose to live in them and refuse to ask for forgiveness.

Now that you have repented, asked for forgiveness and choosing not to live in your sins you are not committing the unforgiveable sin.

In any event, if you are more concerned about this, please take it up with your confessor so that you can specifically discuss your past sins and why you felt that it was unforgiveable. He will them be able to assist you in understanding forgiveness and assuring you of God’s mercy and forgiveness.
 
Liz, :hug1:

There is no sin you could possibly commit that is beyond God’s mercy to forgive. What you read refers to sins against the Holy Spirit for which someone is unrepentant unto death. You do not fall into that category. Sins against the Holy Spirit can be forgiven if one repents and goes to Confession.

The sins against the Holy Spirit:

Despair of one’s salvation (of God’s mercy)
Presumption of saving oneself without merit
Resisting the known truth
Envy of the graces received by others
Obstinacy in one’s sins
Final impenitence
 
Hi, I used to have this same fear about a year ago… I was so afraid I committed this sin that I couldn’t even think of anything else for 2 weeks. Then someone told me that if I am repentant, that means God’s grace is acting in my life, and so I can still be forgiven and saved. Realize that faith and contrition and love for God are all gifts from Him… they are supernatural, not natural things. If you feel sorry for how you lived before, if you repent and go to Confession, don’t be afraid and trust in God’s mercy, cause you definitely are forgiven hugs
If you had truly committed this sin, you would not be a Christian right now. God wouldn’t give someone graces for salvation if there was no hope for them. The fact that you’ve come to faith in God shows that everything’s alright.

btw…when I was around 13, I also went through a horrible time and almost got into witchcraft and occultic stuff.
This is definitely something that God DOES forgive, if only we ask.

Ever since I got rid of this fear of having committed the unforgiveable sin (which is more like refusing to repent, as others have said) I’ve been growing in my faith and God has shown me on many occasions that He is with me. If you had committed this sin, you would know, and you wouldn’t have faith in God anymore. Dont worry 🙂

God bless
 
The unforgivable sin is mentioned in St. Mt 12:32… and it is not the clearest passage in the Bible as to exact meaning… which is why so many are confused by it…

Jesus mentions the unforgivable sin in this passage because the scribes (?) are rejecting Christ after seeing him perform a miracle that they surely must know only GOD can do… So i feel that (and the Church would seem to support this) that the u/forgivable sin is to know that Jesus is God and t hat He is needed for forgiveness and getting to Heaven, but to rejct him anyway…

this psg also has to do with Purgatory because Jesus mentions forgiveness in the “age to come”… He wants to warn everyone that refusing forgiveness (Christ) will not even be forgiven in Purgatoyr… that it is the one sin that will NOT be forgiven even there… (meaning: if one refuses Christ until death…)

Have you read this passage before?

Also: it just stands to reason that if there is only ONE unforgivable sin, it would be THAT…
 
I was taught (when I was younger) that the unforgivable sin can only be committed during the “end times.” I think during the 6th seal when the Anti-Christ is around. If I remember this correctly, (which it has been 8 years since I’ve gone to this church) if you refuse the Holy Spirit during these times then you’ve committed the unforgivable sin. Not sure what the Catholic Church teaches on it, but this one taught in one of the Protestant Non-Denominational Churches.
 
I was taught (when I was younger) that the unforgivable sin can only be committed during the “end times.” Not sure what the Catholic Church teaches on it, but this one taught in one of the Protestant Non-Denominational Churches.
The Catholic version is the “unforgiveable sin” only occurs in the “end times” of our own lives if we refuse to have contrition for our sins all the way to death, thus dying in mortal sin.

God gives us every chance until the moment of death to turn back to Him. If we die having refused to repent, then we have chosen for ourselves not to be forgiven.
 
I was taught (when I was younger) that the unforgivable sin can only be committed during the “end times.” I think during the 6th seal when the Anti-Christ is around. If I remember this correctly, (which it has been 8 years since I’ve gone to this church) if you refuse the Holy Spirit during these times then you’ve committed the unforgivable sin. Not sure what the Catholic Church teaches on it, but this one taught in one of the Protestant Non-Denominational Churches.
basically the Catholic Church teaches what is in Post #9…

though not sure She uses the exact terminology…
 
e l i z a s t a c i. ❤️
before i say anything else, i want to assure you that you did not commit the unforgivable sin, and that because you repented of and confessed that dark time in your life, God has completely forgiven you. the very fact that you are worried about this—and i’m so sorry that this has been keeping you up for so long—shows that you have not committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which is actually the refusal of God’s great mercy throughout one’s entire life, which is completely unforgivable and eventually leads to Hell. but please don’t worry about this anymore—you have been forgiven, and have started a new life, one that i’m sure God is very pleased with.

i find this post very interesting for me, because i can relate to it in so many ways. to tell you a bit about myself, i am now sixteen, but at the age of twelve, in january 2005, i fell into a period of extremely deep darkness and sin that would last until november 22, 2007, the night that i gave my heart to Jesus at the age of fifteen. to summarize everything that i’ve been through, my darkness began when i fell into homosexuality at the age of twelve, and fell in love with a girl who would be the reason for so much over the next two and a half years. at the age of twelve, i also developed extremely severe major depression, severe anxiety, social phobia, panic disorder and traits of borderline personality disorder. i became incredibly self-destructive and self-loathing, and developed extremely serious religious issues as well. at twelve, when i began cutting and starving myself and having suicidal thoughts, i turned completely away from God, not through atheism but through the belief that He despised me and that no matter what i did, how hard i tried, i was forever damned to Hell. although i did consider myself an atheist for a while, i never truly was—raised Catholic, i always believed in God, but i wished that i couldn’t, knowing that my sexuality conflicted with what He wanted for me, and convinced that my sexuality made me too disgusting and worthless for anyone to love me, even and especially Him. i developed an extremely intense fear of death, though the ironic thing is that on march 28, 2007, after two years of self-harm, a deepening and desperate depression and much trauma and turmoil, i attempted suicide. the only reason that i am still alive to tell you my story is because God literally intervened with a miracle that preserved my life when i tried to die. i don’t understand why much of the time, especially as i still struggle with extremely severe spiritual depressions, but i am forever grateful to Him for saving me when i was literally half an hour away from eternity without Him. i’m sharing this with you because i can relate to you, especially as my scrupulosity makes it difficult sometimes for me to believe that i have been forgiven. i just want you to know, though, that you are completely forgiven—God’s amazing Mercy is deeper than we can imagine, and He loves you so much more than you could ever comprehend.

i’m so glad beyond words, elizastaci, that you’re no longer struggling with the darkness you knew before, and that you have completely returned to God. in your new life, i hope and pray that you know His peace and love—please know that i will be keeping you in my constant thoughts and prayers. please know that if you ever need anything at all, or would just like to talk about anything, i am always here and will always care, so please don’t ever hesitate to contact me. stay strong, stay safe and take care of yourself. God bless you. 🙂 you are loved so much, and you are completely forgiven. ❤️

love,
in the peace and love of Christ,
alison ❤️
 
There is no unforgivable sin in reality. You just need to understand what the scriptures mean. when it says, " every sin shall be forgiven man except the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit" what it means is that you cannot be forgiven if you don’t repent of your sins before death. That you don’t believe God can forgive your sins because there too bad etc. The reason why you can’t be forgiven is because you reject Gods forgiveness in this case. But if you repent and ask forgiveness and make a good confession no probs. but as said by others every sin is blotted out like it never happened with a good confession.
 
yeah they are all right, you are not condemed blasphemy against the holy spirit is only unforgivable because that person doesnt want to be forgiven but you do and you have realized your mistake, and you can be free now becuase the lord will forgive. :extrahappy:
 
e l i z a s t a c i. ❤️
before i say anything else, i want to assure you that you did not commit the unforgivable sin,
we know that 'cause the person is not dead… Only those who are unrepentant until death are unforgiven…
God has completely forgiven you. the very fact that you are worried about this——shows that you have not committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which is actually the refusal of God’s great mercy throughout one’s entire life,
it also shows… to me… taht people instinctivey know, way deep inside, that they have a need for expiation… Just being forgiven is the 1st step… then comes expiation… purification… (Purgatory, in this life and the next)… Sin leaves a terrible stain that has to be purged… before one can enter Heaven (Rev 21:27, 1 cor 3:13)
i became incredibly self-destructive and self-loathing, and developed extremely serious religious issues as well. at twelve, when i began cutting and starving myself and having suicidal thoughts, i turned completely away from God, not through atheism but through the belief that He despised me
I’ve been there…(except for the cutting…) :eek:😦
and that no matter what i did, how hard i tried, i was forever damned to Hell.
funny how, even when i was young (cradle Catholic, non-practicing) and didn’t know what i know now - about scripture, Mass, the Real Presence… etc… and as awful as i felt about myself (that God would not “take me” back) i never did feel that i would actually go to Hell were i to die… but i did instinctively believe (i see in hindsight) that i wasn’t going to go to Heaven either… @ least not directly… It’s funny because at that time, i didn’t know anything about Purgatory… except, as i say, “instinctively”, without realizing it…
Incidentally, this proves that man “knows things” witout having to actually learn them in a tangible way… In other words: Men are born with a conscience and know, deep down, what is righ and what is wrong… No matter what they may say to indicate otherwise… (rationalizing, etc.)…
, , i attempted suicide. the only reason that i am still alive to tell you my story is because God literally intervened with a miracle that preserved my life when i tried to die. i don’t understand why much of the time, especially as i still struggle with extremely severe spiritual depressions, but i am forever grateful to Him for saving me when i was literally half an hour away from eternity without Him. i’m sharing this with you because i can relate to you, especially as my scrupulosity makes it difficult sometimes for me to believe that i have been forgiven. i just want you to know, though, that you are completely forgiven—God’s amazing Mercy is deeper than we can imagine, and He loves you so much more than you could ever comprehend.
i am glad you didn’t succeed in doing yourself in… For one thing, i got so much out of your testimony and others will too… I feel that the prayers we say for those who have (are) suffering as we once did are extra powerful… plus we can do other kinds of work to help them … since we understand… and therefore are not as judgmental as someone who hasn’t been there might be… I have been where you have been… (more/less) . The Catholic Church, with all its “helps” was what lifted me out of the ditch… 🙂
Purgation hurts… .but not as much as … guilt, etc…

🙂
 
The unforgiveable sin, in a nutshell, is refusing to repent of your sins. In other words, God doesn’t forgive you of your sins because you choose to live in them and refuse to ask for forgiveness.

Now that you have repented, asked for forgiveness and choosing not to live in your sins you are not committing the unforgiveable sin.

In any event, if you are more concerned about this, please take it up with your confessor so that you can specifically discuss your past sins and why you felt that it was unforgiveable. He will them be able to assist you in understanding forgiveness and assuring you of God’s mercy and forgiveness.
That is my understanding as well. You need to forgive yourself, if you have confessed God has already forgiven you. No sin is greater than God’s mercy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top