The violinist argument for abortion

• Thread starter Thread starter AlNg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am thinking instead of a possible analogy between the case when a girl in danger kills the unwanted house intruder and the case where a brutally raped young girl in poor health is in danger of severe illness and does not have the strength to endure a 9 month pregnancy.
If the girl invites someone to her house, and that person turns nasty and threatens her, the girl may defend herself.

If the girl has sex with her boy friend, and at some point the pregnancy becomes threatening, would you say these cases are analogous?

Saying implantation is not a violation is not going to help the person actually go through with that pregnancy.
Saying it is a violation isn’t going to help them either. It’s a reminder of the violation, sure, but not the violation itself. That may sound like hair splitting, but it is actually a point directly addressing the false analogy the violinist argument is putting forward.
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
I can never defend a woman deliberately aborting her child
Would you ever defend a young girl who deliberately killed an unwanted intruder who was presenting a danger to her ?
That depends on the scenario doesn’t it? If he is a home invader and she has reasonable belief that he means her harm (which given he is a home invader she likely does) then yes. If he is a stowaway on a spaceship and there isn’t enough oxygen for the both of them, she may not kill him to preserve the air. She may kill to defend herself against someone’s actions, but not to defend against someone merely existing.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
I can never defend a woman deliberately aborting her child
Would you ever defend a young girl who deliberately killed an unwanted intruder who was presenting a danger to her ?
That depends on the scenario doesn’t it? If he is a home invader and she has reasonable belief that he means her harm (which given he is a home invader she likely does) then yes. If he is a stowaway on a spaceship and there isn’t enough oxygen for the both of them, she may not kill him to preserve the air. She may kill to defend herself against someone’s actions, but not to defend against someone merely existing.

This is positively brilliant, and I would never have thought of such an analogy.

Thank you so much for offering this in defense of the Church’s teaching against abortion, even in the “hard cases”.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back