The Virginity of Mary

  • Thread starter Thread starter ertzjohn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ertzjohn

Guest
I know, I know, it’s been done, to death maybe. Background on me (to be fair): baptised Catholic, in honor of my paternal grandparents; raised Lutheran, in honor of my mother; now-a-days, mostly an agnostic/atheist (even though I love Christmas (the real Christmas) and Easter, and hope for life after death, and hope to go to Heaven even though I don’t deserve to). Basically what I’m asking is: So what? Why does it matter? Jesus had brothers and sisters. Or he didn’t. Mary and Joseph had sex. Or didn’t. Who cares? Isn’t it enough that Jesus was the son (I have an opinion about that too) of God who died for our sins, regardless of what his adoptive parents did later? These arguments over pointless trivialities are what turned me away from organized religion. I’m not a troll, and I’m not out to start a flame war: I just want an answer - why is it so f-ing important, one way or another?
 
When you ask “so what” you are really asking “So what if God has revealed a thing to us? So what?”

The Church did not ask that Mary be a perpetual virgin. The Church did not even ask that her virginity be revealed by God. Rather, God willed that Mary should be a perpetual virgin (and Mary accepted God’s will), and God willed that this fact should be revealed to the Church.

Now, with this fact revealed to it, what was the Church to do? Deny it? Ignore it? Decide it wasn’t important? No, the Church did and does the only thing it can do – it teaches and passes down this revealed truth, and it meditates on God’s meaning behind it.

So what? Because God willed it, and willed that we should know it. No other reason.
 
Because not just any faith will do for salvation. Our faith must be universal, firm, living and constant. Universal means we believe ALL that God has revealed through His Church, not just the stuff we like or think is important. Firm means we believe it without serious doubt. Living means we actually put what we believe into practice, and constant means we proclaim the faith even in times of trouble or in the face of danger or death.
 
ErtzJohn,

Hello and welcome to the Catholic Answers Forums. I hope you have a blessed and fruitful time here.

The short answer to your question is that one of Mary’s titles is “Spouse of the Holy Spirit.” (They had a baby together, after all.) If you claim that Mary also had children with Joseph, that would make her a two-timer, and that is a very grave accusation to make against anybody’s mother.
  • Liberian
 
When you ask “so what” you are really asking “So what if God has revealed a thing to us? So what?”

The Church did not ask that Mary be a perpetual virgin. The Church did not even ask that her virginity be revealed by God. Rather, God willed that Mary should be a perpetual virgin (and Mary accepted God’s will), and God willed that this fact should be revealed to the Church.

Now, with this fact revealed to it, what was the Church to do? Deny it? Ignore it? Decide it wasn’t important? No, the Church did and does the only thing it can do – it teaches and passes down this revealed truth, and it meditates on God’s meaning behind it.

So what? Because God willed it, and willed that we should know it. No other reason.
You really hit the nail on the head here. So many people believe that there is a God, but that we can’t know anything about Him.
To the OP: I would suggest that you try reading the Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Peter Kreeft and Tacelli. It gives really good basic arguments for the existence of God, the divinity of Jesus, and other stuff. Since you seem to have many questions, i think this would help you. It’s also pretty interesting. Not too heavy (my brain has little room).
Also, when you ask questions about God or form your own theories, ask yourself if you are searching for the truth of what God may be or if you’re trying to make God what you want Him to be. I find that many people discount belief in the Christian God because they don’t want to live like that, so obviously it can’t be true. That’s not a very rational or compelling argument.
Not saying that you are doing this, but it has happened, and i think it’s good to reflect on periodically.
God bless you in your quest, Sir Knight!
 
I know, I know, it’s been done, to death maybe. Background on me (to be fair): baptised Catholic, in honor of my paternal grandparents; raised Lutheran, in honor of my mother; now-a-days, mostly an agnostic/atheist (even though I love Christmas (the real Christmas) and Easter, and hope for life after death, and hope to go to Heaven even though I don’t deserve to). Basically what I’m asking is: So what? Why does it matter? Jesus had brothers and sisters. Or he didn’t. Mary and Joseph had sex. Or didn’t. Who cares? Isn’t it enough that Jesus was the son (I have an opinion about that too) of God who died for our sins, regardless of what his adoptive parents did later? These arguments over pointless trivialities are what turned me away from organized religion. I’m not a troll, and I’m not out to start a flame war: I just want an answer - why is it so f-ing important, one way or another?
I would add one thing to what has already been said; namely, that it can be demonstrated that one Church has consistently taught certain truths for 2,000 years. That Church should be listened to.

On the other hand, some “ecclesial communities” have not held consistently to these same truths. They should be ignored.

You may argue that some doctrines are not essential for salvation. I’ll concede that - for the moment. But then I have to ask: if someone or some denomination is playing so loosey goosey with historical facts, how can you trust them to teach your properly on more important matters when they have shown by their actions that they have little regard for accuracy and consistency?

In the parable of the talents, Jesus showed us this principle when he said, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” (Matthew 25:23)

Precision about - and fidelity to - truth is very important.
 
You have hopes to go to Heaven but then you say who cares…
It matters and there is no way to stress this subject enough. Do you want to live by Gods plan or your own?. I was an atheists many years ago until circumstances in my life led me to the Word. Since then I have become a different person. There is power in Gods Word and everyone experiences this at different times in their life. Keep talking with those of faith, it helps. We are all unworthy of heaven because of the fall of man so you are not alone. The Good News is we can have eternal life if we live by Gods rules and not the worlds. One day we all stand before God whether we want to or not and then at that moment it truly matters so my advice to you is to pray and I mean find time each day alone to speak with God and ask him to help you. Prayer is where it all starts. God bless you.
 
I know, I know, it’s been done, to death maybe. Background on me (to be fair): baptised Catholic, in honor of my paternal grandparents; raised Lutheran, in honor of my mother; now-a-days, mostly an agnostic/atheist (even though I love Christmas (the real Christmas) and Easter, and hope for life after death, and hope to go to Heaven even though I don’t deserve to). Basically what I’m asking is: So what? Why does it matter? Jesus had brothers and sisters. Or he didn’t. Mary and Joseph had sex. Or didn’t. Who cares? Isn’t it enough that Jesus was the son (I have an opinion about that too) of God who died for our sins, regardless of what his adoptive parents did later? These arguments over pointless trivialities are what turned me away from organized religion. I’m not a troll, and I’m not out to start a flame war: I just want an answer - why is it so f-ing important, one way or another?
Hi and welcome to the forums.

The teaching about Mary is important to know whether or not she had more Children, but it is important because it tells us more about the divinity of Christ.

As with most Marian doctrines, they are there less to learn about Mary, and more to draw us deeper to Christ.

And it is very important to know and understand the deity of Christ.

God Bless,
Maria
 
I know, I know, it’s been done, to death maybe. Background on me (to be fair): baptised Catholic, in honor of my paternal grandparents; raised Lutheran, in honor of my mother; now-a-days, mostly an agnostic/atheist (even though I love Christmas (the real Christmas) and Easter, and hope for life after death, and hope to go to Heaven even though I don’t deserve to). Basically what I’m asking is: So what? Why does it matter? Jesus had brothers and sisters. Or he didn’t. Mary and Joseph had sex. Or didn’t. Who cares? Isn’t it enough that Jesus was the son (I have an opinion about that too) of God who died for our sins, regardless of what his adoptive parents did later? These arguments over pointless trivialities are what turned me away from organized religion. I’m not a troll, and I’m not out to start a flame war: I just want an answer - why is it so f-ing important, one way or another?
A few things occurred to me after reading your first post (Welcome! btw). Firstly, (and I’m not at all being sarcastic in asking this) but if Mary’s virginity doesn’t matter, why is it important enough for you to make it your first question on the board? Something you might want to ask yourself. 😉

Secondly, I think you are putting the cart before the horse. It might be better for you to educate yourself on basic Catholic teachings before looking into more esoteric matters of doctrine and dogma.

And thirdly, the idea that Mary must have had other children is a quite recent one that no one believed before modern times. All the reformers, such as Luther and Calvin, etc. believed implicitly in Mary’s perpetual virginity. And why was that? Because they understood what you do not yet understand, why it is important to what we believe about Jesus, her Son.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top