A
Alyosha13
Guest
This is my first post here, I read this forum a lot but have finally found the desire to post and begin contributing.
What is finally prompting this is my earnest and genuine difficulty with NFP. Primarily, my problem is that in all of my reading and research and talking with others, I have never had it clearly explained to me why artificial, nonabortifacient contraception is a sin.
I understand that NFP can foster communication between husband and wife, and that it has many other very beneficial side effects. But I also realize that husband and wife do not, and of course should not, have to rely on something like NFP to communicate.
I agree with the notion of sexual fasting (as well as fasting in all other areas of life) but don’t see why it must be matched with a woman’s fertility cycle.
I also believe that children are a blessing from God. Many people say that using artificial birth control is “selfish” and “taking the decision away from God”. But this doesn’t make sense to me. Because a couple using artificial birth control can decide to have 5 children, and a couple using NFP can decide to only have 1 child, or none. So the question here is not the method of planning, but the intention of the planning. Because NFP stands for… natural family planning. Many times, the 99.8% success rate of NFP is touted as another reason to use it. If you care about its effectiveness, it must mean that deliberately planning the number and spacing of children is not a bad thing. So it is not selfish at all to plan when and how many children one has.
Many people counter this with the idea that using artificial birth control “takes the decision away from God.” I have never understood that statement at all, because there is not a pill that is more powerful than God. Just as He can bless an infertile woman with child, he can bless a woman using artificial birth control with a child. So, no, God is not rendered powerless (perish the thought!!!) by artificial birth control.
Some say that only “natural” planning is permitted, and that anything which does “harm” to our bodies can’t be good (aka the pill). I like to ask those people why they cut or color their hair, or bleach their teeth, or trim their nails. All of these things “harm” the body too. Heck, anybody who goes out into the sun to tan their skin is damaging it. So it can’t be that doing “harm” to the body is the reason why it is a sin.
I say all of that because it is in reference to the common talking points that are always raised. But, coming back to how I started this thread, I never hear a clear line of thinking that unambiguously defines why artificial birth control is a sin. One can debate the health reasons, the practicality, or any number of practical concerns. But theologically speaking, what is the basis of defining artificial birth control as a sin?
I am really hoping I get a great answer!
What is finally prompting this is my earnest and genuine difficulty with NFP. Primarily, my problem is that in all of my reading and research and talking with others, I have never had it clearly explained to me why artificial, nonabortifacient contraception is a sin.
I understand that NFP can foster communication between husband and wife, and that it has many other very beneficial side effects. But I also realize that husband and wife do not, and of course should not, have to rely on something like NFP to communicate.
I agree with the notion of sexual fasting (as well as fasting in all other areas of life) but don’t see why it must be matched with a woman’s fertility cycle.
I also believe that children are a blessing from God. Many people say that using artificial birth control is “selfish” and “taking the decision away from God”. But this doesn’t make sense to me. Because a couple using artificial birth control can decide to have 5 children, and a couple using NFP can decide to only have 1 child, or none. So the question here is not the method of planning, but the intention of the planning. Because NFP stands for… natural family planning. Many times, the 99.8% success rate of NFP is touted as another reason to use it. If you care about its effectiveness, it must mean that deliberately planning the number and spacing of children is not a bad thing. So it is not selfish at all to plan when and how many children one has.
Many people counter this with the idea that using artificial birth control “takes the decision away from God.” I have never understood that statement at all, because there is not a pill that is more powerful than God. Just as He can bless an infertile woman with child, he can bless a woman using artificial birth control with a child. So, no, God is not rendered powerless (perish the thought!!!) by artificial birth control.
Some say that only “natural” planning is permitted, and that anything which does “harm” to our bodies can’t be good (aka the pill). I like to ask those people why they cut or color their hair, or bleach their teeth, or trim their nails. All of these things “harm” the body too. Heck, anybody who goes out into the sun to tan their skin is damaging it. So it can’t be that doing “harm” to the body is the reason why it is a sin.
I say all of that because it is in reference to the common talking points that are always raised. But, coming back to how I started this thread, I never hear a clear line of thinking that unambiguously defines why artificial birth control is a sin. One can debate the health reasons, the practicality, or any number of practical concerns. But theologically speaking, what is the basis of defining artificial birth control as a sin?
I am really hoping I get a great answer!