I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
There are two schools of thought to this answer. The first is that Luke is using a literary style addressed to Theophilus, which simply means, “Lover of God,” suggesting that the writings were actually addressed not to one person, but any one in God’s friendship.
I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
We don’t know. “Theophilus” may have been the given name of a specific individual or merely a formal address to the anonymous reader who happens to pick up the books.
The name “Theophilus” roughly means “friend of God.”
DISCLAIMER: Catholic Answers has turned over the archive to Catholic-Questions.org and no longer owns, manages, or moderates the forums. For additional apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.