Theophilus?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sum_Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sum_Fidelis

Guest
I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
 
I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
Hi.

There are two schools of thought to this answer. The first is that Luke is using a literary style addressed to Theophilus, which simply means, “Lover of God,” suggesting that the writings were actually addressed not to one person, but any one in God’s friendship.

The second is that Luke was addressing his writings to a member of the Sanhedrin of that name.

See this past thread on this very question for more information
.
 
I have two questions,so I post two threads. In the Gospel according to Luke,he write,or at least give the impression,that he write the whole Gospel to a man (?) called “Theophilus”. Who was this man?
We don’t know. “Theophilus” may have been the given name of a specific individual or merely a formal address to the anonymous reader who happens to pick up the books.

The name “Theophilus” roughly means “friend of God.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top