B
Brandon_Cal
Guest
I was thinking about sedevacantism recently and the thought occurred to me: Can there even be an antipope without a legitimate contender?
The Catholic Church has had quite the robust history with antipopes, but as far as I can tell every antipope has had a “legitimate” Pope contemporaneous to him. There has never been an antipope during the interregnum, for example. Is there anything in Catholic teaching requiring an antipope to be “anti” a legitimate, living Pope, or could there be, theoretically speaking, antipopes without legitimate, contemporaneous Popes?
The Catholic Church has had quite the robust history with antipopes, but as far as I can tell every antipope has had a “legitimate” Pope contemporaneous to him. There has never been an antipope during the interregnum, for example. Is there anything in Catholic teaching requiring an antipope to be “anti” a legitimate, living Pope, or could there be, theoretically speaking, antipopes without legitimate, contemporaneous Popes?