There are actual Protestants around here...

• Thread starter Thread starter Syele
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Syele

Have you ever been in a room where people talked about you like you weren’t there? CAF feels like that to me lately.

Seriously, I have seen many posts lately informing me of why protestants do and don’t believe and why, but not nearly as many ASKING the protestants if these things are true. I have been tempted to start a few answers with “Well if anyone actually cares what the protestants around here think…” I didn’t for a desire to not be rude since I don’t think Catholics are doing it on purpose. It jsut gives that strong feeling of frustration you feel when people talk like you aren’t there.

Just a reminder to people of all religions(no it’s not jsut the Catholics): Productive dialogue is way easier when someone asks a question sincerely, rather than trying to bait the others into to responding defensively or falling into a troll pit.

Thank you, Syele. I’ve been saying this for years - and you’ve said it much better than I did. There are times when it just feels like baiting. I’m sure some of it is a sense of payback for the less-enlightened who like to bash Catholics.

Not all Protestants feel that way about Catholics. Some, like me, just see them as fellow Christians. If someone is for Christ, they are not against us.

O+

Good post… and thank you.

My wife and I moved to Utah County, Utah almost a year ago (job) and have had a difficult time making friends with our Mormon neighbors. An added bonus, though, has been the common beliefs and added camaraderie we feel with the Christians of all denominations in the valley. But I can confess that because of my Catholic belief and the way I came to the Catholic church in my early twenties that I sometimes forget that our Protestant brothers and sisters are here, too. It can become easy to refer to the history and passing on of tradition and doctrine of the Catholic church (that was so instrumental in my conversion) that might make you feel as though you’re at arms length. But I, for my part, don’t mean any disrespect. I do wish that we were all still one in doctrine, mind, and purpose, but that may be years in the making. Thanks for being here! And thanks for being in Utah, too (figuratively of course).

RAR

Have you ever been in a room where people talked about you like you weren’t there? CAF feels like that to me lately.

Seriously, I have seen many posts lately informing me of why protestants do and don’t believe and why, but not nearly as many ASKING the protestants if these things are true. I have been tempted to start a few answers with “Well if anyone actually cares what the protestants around here think…” I didn’t for a desire to not be rude since I don’t think Catholics are doing it on purpose. It jsut gives that strong feeling of frustration you feel when people talk like you aren’t there.

Just a reminder to people of all religions(no it’s not jsut the Catholics): Productive dialogue is way easier when someone asks a question sincerely, rather than trying to bait the others into to responding defensively or falling into a troll pit.
Thank you, Syele. I’ve been saying this for years - and you’ve said it much better than I did. There are times when it just feels like baiting. I’m sure some of it is a sense of payback for the less-enlightened who like to bash Catholics.

Not all Protestants feel that way about Catholics. Some, like me, just see them as fellow Christians. If someone is for Christ, they are not against us.

O+
Good post… and thank you.

My wife and I moved to Utah County, Utah almost a year ago (job) and have had a difficult time making friends with our Mormon neighbors. An added bonus, though, has been the common beliefs and added camaraderie we feel with the Christians of all denominations in the valley. But I can confess that because of my Catholic belief and the way I came to the Catholic church in my early twenties that I sometimes forget that our Protestant brothers and sisters are here, too. It can become easy to refer to the history and passing on of tradition and doctrine of the Catholic church (that was so instrumental in my conversion) that might make you feel as though you’re at arms length. But I, for my part, don’t mean any disrespect. I do wish that we were all still one in doctrine, mind, and purpose, but that may be years in the making. Thanks for being here! And thanks for being in Utah, too (figuratively of course).

RAR
I agree with you all.

Thanks for being here and thanks for sharing your journeys in seeking God.

BTW, your post made me change my signature today. 👍

I guess that I may be guilty of it. If so, I am sorry. It is hard at times for Catholics NOT to clump all Protestants together. We should be more specific and ask more questions.

I agree that it is the same as the Anti-Catholics who tell us what we actually believe without even knowing. Again, if I am guilty, I am sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back