They have had their reward

  • Thread starter Thread starter hansard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hansard

Guest
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

I’ve always wondered what he meant by this. What reward have they (the hypocrites) received?
 
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

I’ve always wondered what he meant by this. What reward have they (the hypocrites) received?
They did everything in the name of God, but for the praise of man. So they managed to impress the common folk and, in reality, that’s all they were after - praise and glory. We can all be guilty of this if we ever put on a show of holiness in some way or another.

Interestingly, I think, all pride is based on an inordinate fear of what our fellow humans think while true humility is based on fear of God. Here’s another related verse:

**Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God. **John 12:42-43

Anyway, God opposes the proud and exalts the humble, and sees through our true motives.
 
So, you mean, basically: they have received the superficial recognition that they sought?
 
So, you mean, basically: they have received the superficial recognition that they sought?
Yes, and God’s trying to get us to aspire to loftier pursuits. The difference between the Old and New Covenants, in fact, is directly related to this. In the New Covenant, man is to go beyond mere obedience to laws-he’s to come to restored relationship with and obedience to God-a direct relationship of love, which brings forth obedience spontaneously. Otherwise our obedience is really little more than a pretense of holiness, with little if any *change *occurring within us.
 
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

I’ve always wondered what he meant by this. What reward have they (the hypocrites) received?
I took it to mean that they will not get their reward in Heaven. Does that make sense?
 
I think it’s a both/and. They got their desired recognition and lauds from people, and they lost any reward from God because they were not right hearted in their giving.

Remember that Jesus tells us not to let our left hand know what our right hand is doing.
 
If you give your last £100 to charity and tell people so they pat you on the back and say what a great person you are, you have lost your heavenly reward.

If you give your last £100 to charity and keep it secret, you wanted to do it out of love and compassion, God will reward you.
 
If you give your last £100 to charity and tell people so they pat you on the back and say what a great person you are, you have lost your heavenly reward.

If you give your last £100 to charity and keep it secret, you wanted to do it out of love and compassion, God will reward you.
What if I give my last $100 to charity, keep it secret, but do it because I want the heavenly reward?
 
“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

I’ve always wondered what he meant by this. What reward have they (the hypocrites) received?
They received famous by people,
when ozher know then they feel thet they are better then other and feel is a price.
 
What if I give my last $100 to charity, keep it secret, but do it because I want the heavenly reward?
God sees your heart, your true intent. The result may be the same as that of a Pharisee, maybe not. Of course we want a heavenly reward, but almsgiving is not a guarantee of this. There is nothing we can do on Earth that merits reward from God. But attempting to reflect good through acts is favorable than doing acts that focus only on self-aggrandizement.
 
What if I give my last $100 to charity, keep it secret, but do it because I want the heavenly reward?
Who doesn’t want a heavenly reward? Are we not encouraged to do good works and seek out God for the gift of Heaven?

“But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.”
- Jeremiah 17:10

“For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.”
  • 2 Corinthians 5:10
“That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, ‘No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.’”
- 1 Corinthians 2:9

“And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will have eternal life.”
**- Matthew 19:29 **

“Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”
**- Revelation 22:12-13 **
 
We should try to act in all our dealings with people in a loving way. We should do this without concern for reward either here on in Heaven. We should at all times try to remain humble but that does not mean we should shun publicity in doing good if the publicity is done to promote the cause not oneself. Its all about the motifs involved. likewise we should not fear doing something right in case someone labels you as Holy etc. but again that should not be the primary motivation. satan would use humility as a temptation to stop you also 😦
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top