Things Christians believe that aren't in Scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter LongJohnSilver
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LongJohnSilver

Guest
I am discussing Catholic principles with a Protestant, but one of the things that makes the discussion difficult is that he keeps saying he can’t find these things in Scripture. Of course, I explain as much as I can based on Scripture, but some things just cannot be found there, such as the Bodily Assumption of Mary.

Now I am looking for other things christians, both Catholic and Protestant, believe that are not (directly) in Scripture, like the two natures of Christ. Which ones are there?
 
I am discussing Catholic principles with a Protestant, but one of the things that makes the discussion difficult is that he keeps saying he can’t find these things in Scripture. Of course, I explain as much as I can based on Scripture, but some things just cannot be found there, such as the Bodily Assumption of Mary.

Now I am looking for other things christians, both Catholic and Protestant, believe that are not (directly) in Scripture, like the two natures of Christ. Which ones are there?
For starters, the Canon of Scripture (73 books Catholic and 66 Protestant and 24 Jewish) is not in the Bible. We had to go outside of the Bible for that. At the Council of Rome in 382 AD Pope Damascus decreed a 73 book Canon reafirmed by subsequent councils.
 
Things not found in the bible:

1.) Sunday as the new Sabbath. The Scripture does speak (in the Book of Acts, I think) of “meeting on the first day of the week,” but it never mentions a change in the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

2.) The Trinity

3.) Pre-Trib Rapture

4.) Any Protestant creation (solo/sola scriptura, faith alone, etc.)

more to come from others I’m sure
 
Well, start with the Triune nature of God. Then there are the Sola’s, most especially sola scriptura and sola fide.

FSC
 
I found this web site a while back and it has helped me answer many of the questions I had about our Faith. Don’t get me worng, I do not have any sort of doubt about my faith in Christ or my allegience to the church. I simply wanted to grow in my faith and there are many things which I believe but didn’t feel comfortable I could defend if called upon to do so. Also, I don’t necessarily endorse the publishers of the site or some of their beliefs. (I’m trying to avoid getting hammered) However, I found the scripture citations and justifications pretty convincing. Use your own judgement and listen to the Holy Spirit, it’s your best hope.

askacatholic.com/holyquotes/documents/_all_catholic_verses.htm
 
Why not work with him instead of arguing against him? As Saint Paul the Apostle wrote:

I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

(1 Corinthians 9:22)

Surprise him by saying you agree that what is in the Bible should be believed. Then ask him why he does not believe in the real presence of Jesus Christ in the bread and the wine. If he says it is not in the Bible, then have him read to you this passage and ask him what else Jesus could possibly have meant:

Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.”

(John 6:53-55)

I used to be an Evangelical Protestant, and those last 12 words were the words that changed my mind.
 
I assume people get married in this Protestant’s Church - ask him where in scripture his Church gets their marriage ceremony and how they know, from a scriptural perspective, when two people are in fact married.
 
“Bible” is not in scripture. Does that mean the Bible is not biblical?🤷
What many Christians, both Catholic and Protestant, fail to understand, is that the Bible is a subset of Tradition. Consider what was taught and universally believed BEFORE the canon of the Bible:

The Christian Rule of Faith **(TRADITION) **included belief in the Apostolic succession through the Episcopate, the authority of Tradition itself, the authority of Scripture, the three fold ministry (bishop-priest-deacon), the Eucharist as Sacrifice, belief in baptismal regeneration, prayers for the dead, veneration of the Saints, the Seven sacraments, the evangelical counsels, and others. The historical evidence is there for anyone who wishes to see it.

The Assumption of Mary is not explicit in scripture, (I think primarlily because it occured after St. Paul wrote his epistles, so demanding scripture verses is unfair), but it certainly can be derived from Rev. 11:19 and 12:1, but then again you run into the same old problem: interpretation.
It may be argued that Christians were in error on this matter from the beginning but in response we will have to ask who has the authority or competence to make such an arbitrary interpretation. Should we trust the interpretations of Augustine or Jimmy Swaggart, the teachings of the Council of Ephesus or the pronouncements of Dave Hunt? Should we be guided by the prayer and worship practices of Christians in the first three centuries who were the closest to the New Testament Church or the prayer-and-worship routines of 25,000+ denominations?
The “world” of Marian devotion is one which has been familiar to almost all Christians, including the holiest and the wisest, for the last 20 centuries. The Fundamentalists and Evangelicals have not entered this world. Neither have Mormons or Buddhists. Before they criticize or reject a part of Christian experience that has been accepted as basic and normal by most Christians, 20th century Christians should consider understanding or even better entering it. http://www.mariology.com/content/view/9/28/
 
Thank you all!

So we have:
  • the two natures of Christ
  • the Canon of Scripture
  • Sunday as the new Sabbath
  • the Trinity
  • the Ceremony of Marriage
Any others?

I am not too sure about the Sola’s. I mean, I think this argument works best if we use doctrines that both Catholics and Protestants believe in. Otherwise he can simply say: the Assumption of Mary isn’t there either, and than we have a stalemate again.
 
Purgatory
Indulgences
Infallibility
Papal succession
Confession to a priest
The Communion of Saints

Some of this is implicitly contained in scripture, but protestants want it spelled out literally, since they do not believe in sacred Tradition.
 
Loving one another is there as prove of discipleship but most people will omit that. Sad to see people that claim believe in the same God and the same Jesus, the same Bible and the same church, but have no love for one another and claim to be Christians. I think there is more in common between Mather Teresa and Cory Ten Boom ( two ladies that lived their faith in loving others) than those that sit in CHURCH (Catholic and Protestant) and have all the apologetics need to answer most questions but will not be obedient in showing love to one another as Jesus commanded his disciples to do. Seedless fruits with bitter taste is not in the Scriptures but there is a lot of that going on everywhere. Be blessed and May God help us all to be true disciples and not just GOOD apologists.
 
Things not found in the bible:

1.) Sunday as the new Sabbath. The Scripture does speak (in the Book of Acts, I think) of “meeting on the first day of the week,” but it never mentions a change in the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.
Isaiah 1:13 - God begins to reveal His displeasure with the Sabbath.

Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; John 20:1,19- the Gospel writers purposely reveal Jesus’ resurrection and appearances were on Sunday. This is because Sunday had now become the most important day in the life of the Church.

Acts 20:7 - this text shows the apostolic tradition of gathering together to celebrate the Eucharist on Sunday, the “first day of the week.” Luke documents the principle worship was on Sunday because this was one of the departures from the Jewish form of worship.

1 Cor. 16:2 - Paul instructs the Corinthians to make contributions to the churches “on the first day of the week,” which is Sunday. This is because the primary day of Christian worship is Sunday.

Col. 2:16-17 - Paul teaches that the Sabbath was only a shadow of what was fulfilled in Christ, and says “let no one pass judgment any more over a Sabbath.”

2 Thess. 2:15 - we are to hold fast to apostolic tradition, whether it is oral or written. The 2,000 year-old tradition of the Church is that the apostles changed the Sabbath day of worship from Saturday to Sunday.

Heb. 4:8-9 - regarding the day of rest, if Joshua had given rest, God would not later speak of “another day,” which is Sunday, the new Sabbath. Sunday is the first day of the week and the first day of the new creation brought about by our Lord’s resurrection, which was on Sunday.

Heb. 7:12 - when there is a change in the priesthood, there is a change in the law as well. Because we have a new Priest and a new sacrifice, we also have a new day of worship, which is Sunday.

Rev 1:10 - John specifically points out that he witnesses the heavenly Eucharistic liturgy on Sunday, the Lord’s day, the new day of rest in Christ.

Matt. 16:19; 18:18 - whatever the Church binds on earth is bound in heaven. Since the resurrection, Mass has been principally celebrated on Sunday.
 
There is the apostolic succession thing. Many protestants will “elect” elders and deacons based on the criteria in 1st Timothy. However,** there is no place in the New Testament where a congregation picks a “prebster”. No where**.

If you look at 1 Tim carefully, it is Timothy doing the selection, and he was “ordained” by Paul.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top