Think I am losing my faith

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholic29
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the process, I got my Dad to turn away from Atheism! This is a miracle because Dad is the most bullheaded person on the planet—and he’s not even Irish.
Before any Irish people are offended—I want to clarify this statement. I am Irish. I’d mentioned my Irish-ness in the first version but had edited it out because my post was way too long.

I come from a long line of Irish Catholics, and am allowed to make Irish jokes. HA! Erin go Braugh! (whatever that means).

Just thought I’d clarify before the PC police nail me on it! HA!!! No hard feelings.

40.png
Doreen:
EASY Mike! Though shalt not judge! You are packaging a whole lot of people into one basket. Not a fair move at all. :tsktsk:

I am only checking you because I had some pretty harsh ideas about the Catholic church after feeling it failed me…and I did as you are doing, at first…assuming everyone in the church was compromising, etc…but I am thrilled to find this is not the case.

Remember…with the measure you use, it shall be measured unto you. We do a lot more for our “side” when we demonstrate grace, no?

As Peter says: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…” 1 Peter 3:15

By the way, if someone came into the church I attend, we would lovingly welcome them and then guide them into ALL truth…helping them to recognize their sin, and showing them the way to overcome it through Christ…not telling them simply “Jesus saves!”

D.
Sorry I don’t mean to judge every Protestant church, I never meant to judge or paint with a broad brush, but the majority of Churches I frequented and the people I fellowshiped with, had serious issues like the ones I listed. I was just summarizing the teachings I recieved in the various Protestant Churches I frequented. I got a lot out of a lot of the Protestant Churches, I loved their ideas about Jesus, however I didn’t like the lack of accountability with a ‘faith alone’ doctrine I recieved at most of the Churches.

It’s simply my story, and in all fairness it is a Catholicism site. I was shown the door at CARM for asking a moderator for sources when she claimed Catholic’s recieve abortions at ten times the rate of Protestants.

No hard feeling’s, it was really just to get through to Catholic29, that I’ve been there and done that, and wasn’t fulfilled, and was consistently let down, by what I felt was wishy washy teaching’s, and country club Christians. If I offended you I sincerely apologize.

I think I said in a previous post that I had no intention of running off to one of these Protestant churches, as numerable and vibrant as they appear to be. And for they record I will say I will not do so.

Its just that for me all of Christianity regardless of sect or theology is up in the air for me, though I will admit here that Catholicism in its various rites and Eastern Orthodoxy are among the oldest known and are thus first. They way I see it there was nothing remotely resembling a “Full Gospel Holiness Church” prior to Martin Luther. Up to the 16th century Reformation, candles, altars and inscence occupied the core of virtually all of Christian worship, it just that very few in our contemporary world are aware of this fact.

40.png
Catholic29:
I think I said in a previous post that I had no intention of running off to one of these Protestant churches, as numerable and vibrant as they appear to be. And for they record I will say I will not do so.

Its just that for me all of Christianity regardless of sect or theology is up in the air for me, though I will admit here that Catholicism in its various rites and Eastern Orthodoxy are among the oldest known and are thus first. They way I see it there was nothing remotely resembling a “Full Gospel Holiness Church” prior to Martin Luther. Up to the 16th century Reformation, candles, altars and inscence occupied the core of virtually all of Christian worship, it just that very few in our contemporary world are aware of this fact.
Sorry if I read into your post wrong, but I think looking around won’t hurt you. In fact the absence of the Eucharist in protestant services I think will lead you back to the Catholic Church with a renewed vigor, to me praying and then taking the Eucharist is when I feel closest to God. In the end the choice is yours, there is a lot of confusion and I understand your plight, as I had a similar one. I guess what I’m saying is if you know the Catholic Church is the Church left to us by Jesus, why throw the baby out with the bath water? Any man-made system will have problems, but you know it’s the best one we got.

Good luck and God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back