Thinking about converting?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anon97089806
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon97089806

Guest
So I posted a while back, when I was still very confused… Though now I have stuff mostly figured out.

Anyways, I have tried to convert to Catholicism about 3 times total. The first time was in a big church back in 2012ish, but on the day I was supposed to start the classes, I found out that the class had about 200 teens total, and ended up freaking out in the car(I have issues with larger crowds… pretty much any social situation with more than 5 strangers).

The second time was at my local Catholic church, I started the I think the classes for the teens, that time mostly to see if I was comfortable at this church, but I ended up not liking the way the class was set up, and ended up getting really involved in the Baptist church instead.

The third time, I was really feeling, I guess you would say “called” to be Catholic still, and the priest at the local church was going to give me and my dad a private class for the converting stuff, but I ended up having an issue on the first class during one of the prayers, and never went back.

Now about 2 years later, both of my parents are Catholic, and I think my 15 year old brother is supposed to be getting confirmed at some point in the next few years, and my youngest brother is involved in the church as well. I haven’t gone to a church service in at least a year now.

Now I feel like trying again, since I am more comfortable in my identity, and faith I guess, I actually believe a lot of the things that my parents have issues believing. However, my suspicions were confirmed today at youth group, and I am feeling a bit iffy about it.

I am realizing just how against LGBT my local church is, not as bad as the other churches in my area, but still bad enough for me to be iffy about it. Anyways, I have come to accept that I am non binary, feeling uncomfortable in both genders, but leaning more toward the female side of things(this obviously being an issue to Christians since I was born male), as well as finally accepting that I am attracted to men.

I am not out of the closet on either of those things, mostly due to family issues… my brother is very homophobic and I feel it would be a horrible idea to come out at the moment… But now I am wondering if this would cause issues with my plans to convert.

I am pretty sure my parents do know I am attracted to men though, or at least know I am a supporter of LGBT, because they have made sure that I know that Catholics accept homosexuals who don’t act on those feelings…

Personally, I already know I wouldn’t go get married to a man, because I have never planned on getting married anyways(as much as I would love to have kids, I just don’t want to get married, and have never felt I should).

Anyways… Yeah… Forgot what my question was. I guess I just want advice?
 
It’s not entirely clear to me why you want to be Catholic.
 
So I posted a while back, when I was still very confused… Though now I have stuff mostly figured out.

Anyways, I have tried to convert to Catholicism about 3 times total. The first time was in a big church back in 2012ish, but on the day I was supposed to start the classes, I found out that the class had about 200 teens total, and ended up freaking out in the car(I have issues with larger crowds… pretty much any social situation with more than 5 strangers).

The second time was at my local Catholic church, I started the I think the classes for the teens, that time mostly to see if I was comfortable at this church, but I ended up not liking the way the class was set up, and ended up getting really involved in the Baptist church instead.

The third time, I was really feeling, I guess you would say “called” to be Catholic still, and the priest at the local church was going to give me and my dad a private class for the converting stuff, but I ended up having an issue on the first class during one of the prayers, and never went back.

Now about 2 years later, both of my parents are Catholic, and I think my 15 year old brother is supposed to be getting confirmed at some point in the next few years, and my youngest brother is involved in the church as well. I haven’t gone to a church service in at least a year now.

Now I feel like trying again, since I am more comfortable in my identity, and faith I guess, I actually believe a lot of the things that my parents have issues believing. However, my suspicions were confirmed today at youth group, and I am feeling a bit iffy about it.

I am realizing just how against LGBT my local church is, not as bad as the other churches in my area, but still bad enough for me to be iffy about it. Anyways, I have come to accept that I am non binary, feeling uncomfortable in both genders, but leaning more toward the female side of things(this obviously being an issue to Christians since I was born male), as well as finally accepting that I am attracted to men.

I am not out of the closet on either of those things, mostly due to family issues… my brother is very homophobic and I feel it would be a horrible idea to come out at the moment… But now I am wondering if this would cause issues with my plans to convert.

I am pretty sure my parents do know I am attracted to men though, or at least know I am a supporter of LGBT, because they have made sure that I know that Catholics accept homosexuals who don’t act on those feelings…

Personally, I already know I wouldn’t go get married to a man, because I have never planned on getting married anyways(as much as I would love to have kids, I just don’t want to get married, and have never felt I should).

Anyways… Yeah… Forgot what my question was. I guess I just want advice?
I was raised Catholic, so I’m speaking with some objectivity. And whatever you decide to believe needs to be based on objectivity, evidence, & truth. Unfortunately, everybody “thinks” what they believe is based on all three. Obviously, not every does, since most people’s beliefs contradict each other, including the “sources” of their beliefs. God alone is incapable of being wrong, nor can He contradict each other. And since you believe in God, your Authority should be Him. For Christians, both Catholic & Protestant alike, they believe Scripture - ALL Scripture, both Old Testament & New Testament - is Inspired (or GOD-breathed). However, Catholics & Protestants disagree on their authority of the number of books in their OT canons. Here is an objective post, based on objectivity, evidence, & truth that I wrote that may help you in your decision-making. Remember, truth can’t be false:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=12716641&postcount=12

God bless you! 🙂
 
I pray for your intention to join the Catholic faith:

Saint Michael the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our defence against the schemes and wickedness of the devil,
may god rebuke him, we humbly pray and
Do, O prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God, cast into hell
satan and all evil spirits who
prowl about the world seeking the
ruin of souls!
Amen.
 
Avinia,

Reading books isn’t going to turn you into a perfect person, but I really, really do believe in the immense value of finding good, solid Catholic books that talk about the subject that distresses you the most. Just do an Amazon search about orthodox Catholic teaching and LGBT. I’m not LGBT, except maybe mildly bisexual, but that was still a very stressful issue for me. I was fully prepared to accept Church teaching on the matter, and believed it in my heart to be true, but it was (and to some extent still is) a frightening and painful thing for me, since the opposition paints such views as being uncompassionate and even cruel.

There are authors - who know the unique issues of being LGBT personally - that can offer you a lot of wisdom and comfort, both about how the Church approaches LGBT persons, and how you yourself fit into the Church. If you just try to figure everything out based on how your family or your friends see things, you’re causing yourself a lot of unnecessary anxiety. You should instead go straight to the source, from virtuous, qualified, understanding people. And, of course, you need to surrender yourself in prayer this entire time as well. Everybody needs that. It is our lifeline everyday.
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.
 
Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.
^^Me too, and here is a great prayer for you, Avinia, to pray also.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
 
If you are committed to chastity and to living a Catholic life, accepting what the Church teaches on the matter, then there is no reason that you cannot enter the Church.

I encourage you to watch this video:

vimeo.com/93079367

And to reach out to the Courage ministry. www.couragerc.net
 
I hope in your heart you will give instructions another try. Listen and learn with an open mind for God loves those who open up to him. The boy Samuel in the Old Testament heard what he thought was a voice calling to him. And when he heard “Samuel, Samuel”, Samuel said, “Speak Lord for your servant is listening.”

I will remember you in prayer.

May the Lord smile on you and bless you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top