Thinking about hell/full consent

  • Thread starter Thread starter FCS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FCS

Guest
To fully consent to mortal sin, do you have to realize at the time how it offends God and will send you to hell? Thanks
 
Yep. Even if you “lie to yourself” and try to justify “God would not seed me, such a good person, to hell for this ONE thing!”
 
I understand there are three components required to make a sin mortal. Grave matter, full knowledge and full consent.

In my opinion full consent, is the most difficult of three criteria to qualify.

Joe Sinner is battling temptation as he finds himself on the threshold of committing a sin which may be known to him as a sin of grave matter and also known to him that the church finds the sin to be of grave matter (full knowledge and grave matter are qualified). Mr Sinner finds himself struggling as the moment draws near. Reluctantly Mr. Sinner goes ahead and falls to temptation.

I see two potential reasons why full consent might not be qualified.

1). He did not say to himself, “I do not care about this being a mortal sin, I simply want to do this therefore I will”. He may have suffered substantially for committing the sin followed by immediately feeling remorse. Therefore the consent was something shy of 100%. 100% = full

2). He (as I believe most Catholic Christians) either does not believe, or was never properly taught that the teachings of the Church are to considered directly from the Holy Spirit (God). I know many Catholics who believe the Church can be wrong in Her teachings. The Church is a man-made institution. If Mr. Sinner feels the Church is wrong in Her teachings regarding a particular sin, I’d suggest He did not commit with full consent. Rather he denied it.

Again, my opinion. I know many people on this forum have a much more stringent viewpoint on this. I see a lot of gray.
 
Last edited:
It’s not “full consent,” which would be very difficult to qualify.

It’s “free consent.” This means one chose to engage his will and was not coerced, which is far easier to discern. Either you did or you didn’t. It’s not so gray when we use the correct terminology. There are some considerations of compulsion, of course, but this is a matter of conscience best discerned with the help of one’s confessor.

-Fr ACEGC
 
No, as the Catholic Encylcopedia article on mortal sin notes:
From the condemnation of the errors of Baius and Jansenius (Denz.-Bann., 1046, 1066, 1094, 1291-2) it is clear that for an actual personal sin a knowledge of the law and a personal voluntary act, free from coercion and necessity, are required. No mortal sin is committed in a state of invincible ignorance or in a half-conscious state. Actual advertence to the sinfulness of the act is not required, virtual advertence suffices. It is not necessary that the explicit intention to offend God and break His law be present, the full and free consent of the will to an evil act suffices.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top