Third Commandment: How to react when someone breaks it

  • Thread starter Thread starter StMartinTours
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StMartinTours

Guest
I work for a Catholic organization and my manager has a habit of cursing when a technical problem or other frustration arises in the office, even to the point of using the name of God or Jesus Christ. I am quite shocked by this, as we are a religious organization. Nor do I know how to react; she is, after all, my supervisor and I work for her. Usually I just look down or away, refusing to make eye contact and thus withholding any empathy. How should one react in this situation?
 
You cannot put a curse on God.

:confused:
The person is speaking of using the Lord’s name in vain.

A good trick I sometimes employ is to respond ‘Yes, My child?’ when they say it. Normally they are puzzled for a second, so I just say ‘well, you called on God/Jesus, here I am!’ It gets a laugh, but also gets them thinking about just how often they do it without even noticing what they are saying.
 
I think you should remember that Jesus cares about you both. Using the name of God in vain is certainly a sinful act and it is shameful coming from the mouth of a Christian. This stumps me sometimes, too. I would say ignore it, or else, correct her. Praying for her would be a good thing to do, also.
 
Another tactic that I employ is, “Oh, are you praying?”.
 
To use the Lord’s name in vain, is really using the name to raise yourself, not God. What your supervisor is doing, actually, is blaspheming His name, which is worse.
 
I used to say “Amen”. When a fellow worker asked what I meant, I said ,you said a prayer and I said “Amen” to it. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top