This will be such a great Lent!

  • Thread starter Thread starter NPalmby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NPalmby

Guest
I know Lent is a somber time of introspection and repentance. I know we should keep in mind the suffering and sacrifice of Christ. But this year, I can’t help but having a light heart and a smile on my face!

My husband was born/raised Catholic. We met in college at a Newman Club meeting (I was in the process of converting). Unfortunately, because of many things going on in Hubby’s life (emotional and mental stress, clinical depression and anxiety, as well as our financial situation), he’s become frustrated with the Church, and with his faith in general. Several weeks ago, he told me he wasn’t sure he believed in any higher power.

Since he’s been pulling away from the Church, I have been praying for him. I’ve been asking the Lord to use me to show Hubby the love that Christ has for him. I’ve asked that the Lord soften his heart and remind him of the freedom that comes with faith. And above all, I’ve done what I can to be a good example to him.

Yesterday, my in-laws were getting ready for Mass. Hubby came in and said that if I wanted to go with them (rather than on my own tomorrow), he’d be happy to watch the baby for me. I said okay. A few minutes later (well, really, about 40 seconds) he came back in and said that he wanted to go along, too.

So we threw our diaper bag together, loaded up in the car, and made it to Mass AS A FAMILY for the first time in a long time!!

But wait! There’s more!

Historically, my husband would attend Mass and listen, but wouldn’t really be involved in the responses. He’d pray, of course, and make the Sign of the Cross and things like that, but beyond the prayers and basic responses, he was quiet. Yesterday, though, not only did he respond throughout the entire Mass, but I even caught him trying to sing along to the hymns! Praise the Lord!

I didn’t want to make a big deal about it, but afterward I asked him what made him want to attend Mass this week. He looked at me and said he wasn’t sure, but he just felt like he needed to go. And I think the Lord used the readings and Father’s homily to speak to Hubby’s heart. Today he already seems to have a lighter heart. He said he wants to pray with me regularly again (we did that last Lent and really enjoyed it).

What a wonderful time for him to come home to the Church!

Please pray that my husband will continue to find his faith and strengthen his relationship with the Lord, and that I can be a good example to him!
 
I will be praying, thanks for sharing such a great story…Praise be to God…He is awesome. God’s best for a very holy Lent for you and your family. 🙂
 
I will be praying!! I know Lent is supposed to be contemplative and sorrowful, but I absolutely LOVE this time of year…

Steph
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top