M
Myqyl
Guest
Well, I thought I had heard it all, but 2 women stopped by my house this Sunday with Bibles (well, NIV) in hand. I greeted them and asked them what I could do for them and they informed me they wanted to tell me about God the Mother…
At first I assumed they were just radical feminists that wanted to call God Mother instead of Father. Since I’m fairly certain God is genderless (not needing to reproduce) I was going to explain to them that insisting that God is female is as wrong as insisting God is male. God the Father has no need of gender… That’s when they completely blindsided me by saying that God the Mother is a “fourth person” of the Trinity…
They “justified” this with :
Gen 1 :26 - Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” … 1:27 - God created man in His image: in the divine image He created him: male and female He created them."
They had nice red lines under the portions I Bolded
Before I could recover completely, they turned to The Book of Revelation, 21:9 … “Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” implying that the “bride” was God the Mother. I held back all my remarks about incest since I felt it would be counterproductive and instead said, “Yeah, the bride is the Church”… I’m fairly certain I remembered that from many decades ago from Catholic school… My problem is I couldn’t find the Scripture I’m almost positive I had seen before referring to the Church as the bride of Christ…
So, anyway…
Did I have that part wrong about the Church being the bride and if not where can I point to enlighten them? They asked to come back and talk more and I’d really like to help them see the Truth, so I asked them to come back after Christmas and I’ll be glad to sit down with them and discuss it more. Does anyone have any arguments backed by Scripture you think I should present to them? I already have a few notes, but you all are a great resource and I’d love any advice…
Thanks! and God bless!
Mike
At first I assumed they were just radical feminists that wanted to call God Mother instead of Father. Since I’m fairly certain God is genderless (not needing to reproduce) I was going to explain to them that insisting that God is female is as wrong as insisting God is male. God the Father has no need of gender… That’s when they completely blindsided me by saying that God the Mother is a “fourth person” of the Trinity…
They “justified” this with :
Gen 1 :26 - Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” … 1:27 - God created man in His image: in the divine image He created him: male and female He created them."
They had nice red lines under the portions I Bolded
Before I could recover completely, they turned to The Book of Revelation, 21:9 … “Come here. I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” implying that the “bride” was God the Mother. I held back all my remarks about incest since I felt it would be counterproductive and instead said, “Yeah, the bride is the Church”… I’m fairly certain I remembered that from many decades ago from Catholic school… My problem is I couldn’t find the Scripture I’m almost positive I had seen before referring to the Church as the bride of Christ…
So, anyway…
Did I have that part wrong about the Church being the bride and if not where can I point to enlighten them? They asked to come back and talk more and I’d really like to help them see the Truth, so I asked them to come back after Christmas and I’ll be glad to sit down with them and discuss it more. Does anyone have any arguments backed by Scripture you think I should present to them? I already have a few notes, but you all are a great resource and I’d love any advice…
Thanks! and God bless!
Mike